Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

abiword flickering glitch issue

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
midish

abiword flickering glitch issue

#1 Post by midish »

Hi, now I'm running 32bit debian stretch / i3wm
abiword is having this weird graphical glitch. Everything works so that's the only issue. The abiword "window" starts flickering whenever I focus on it.
I know it was a bug some time ago on lower versions and I think it's solved by now so my problem should be caused by something else. What do you think? :?

J. Reis

Re: abiword flickering glitch issue

#2 Post by J. Reis »

Unfortunately I can't offer you any solutions, but since no one else has chimed in, I feel I should at least add what I can.

I believe I can reproduce this on my system. I installed Abiword from the stable repo on my machine. A Lenovo laptop running Stretch (amd64) with Intel HD 4600 graphics. I don't have a DE installed (like you) just a window manager on top of X (in my case JWM).

When I launch Abiword (3.0.2) the edit region shows a constant series of moving half-inch white bands. Reminds me of an old CRT with very slow refresh. These bands don't effect the menus or toolbars, just the page itself. I assume it has something to do with the document "refreshing". In fact, running Abiword with --gtk-debug=updates shows constant red flashing.

First thing to say: the release notes for Abiword states the following: "We recommend Gtk 3.20.x or earlier. There is a known issue with Gtk 3.22"

3.22.11 is packaged with Stretch, so that is probably the first thing to try. Personally I wasn't invested enough to attempt downgrading to an older version of gtk. Since I don't personally use Abiword.

Additionally, I get the following warnings when I run Abiword, which may be relevant:

There's a lot of bug reports and posts about flickering in recent Abiword versions 3.0.1 up. Some sound a bit different from what I'm seeing (ie needing to type before the flickering begins). Some are still open as of 3.0.2. Here's some possibly relevant posts:

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates ... ca183cdc57
> seems to indicate a known flickering issue that won't be fixed until 3.0.3

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1450574
> specifically notes version 3.0.2 additionally indicates sluggishness of the interface, which I did not experience.

https://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13791
> an upstream bug (open) for something similar

That's all I've got. Changing the GTK theme (as advised as a workaround in some cases) did not effect the issue for me. Ultimately I was unable to rectify the situation on my machine.

kalle123

Re: abiword flickering glitch issue

#3 Post by kalle123 »

Abiword 3.0.2 DEBIAN stretch Xfce 64bit clean here. No issues ...