Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE Wallet keeps asking for password

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
thunderogg

KDE Wallet keeps asking for password

#1 Post by thunderogg »

I'm trying out KDE on Debian Stretch. Yeah I'm kind of new to KDE so please bare with me. :) When I insert an encrypted pendrive for the fist time, the KDE Daemon asks for a password for the encrypted drive. So I give it and then I check the 'Remember Password' checkbox and click 'OK'. The pen drive is then mounted as expected. Then I unmount it and everything works fine. But the next time i insert the same drive, the same dialog box comes up asking for the password again, despite that it indicates that it remembered it by showing the dots in the password field. :? So click 'OK' without doing anything else and the drive mounts. Sure, it works, but one can hardly call it auto mount if you have to click 'OK' every time you want to mount it. Is there any way to solve this problem?
Debian 12 / Xfce4

dasein

Re: KDE Wallet keeps asking for password

#2 Post by dasein »

thunderogg wrote:Is there any way to solve this problem?
Frankly, I'm surprised it gives you the option of "remembering" the password, because that totally defeats the point of encryption. Clicking "OK" is the least of your worries.

Convenience OR security. Pick either one.

thunderogg

#3 Post by thunderogg »

dasein wrote:
thunderogg wrote:Is there any way to solve this problem?
This is not a "problem." Frankly, I'm surprised it gives you the option of "remembering" the password, because that totally defeats the point of encryption.

Convenience OR security. Pick either one.
Sure, I see your point. :) But since they ask to remember the password and since it's already in the Wallet, why bother show the dialog? :? I hate to say it, but in Gnome it works flawlessly. :shock: So why don't I stick to Gnome then? The truth is that I don't feel 100% comfortable with the workflow or rather the lack of it. So I thought I would see if KDE could be a better alternative.
Debian 12 / Xfce4

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

thunderogg wrote:But since they ask to remember the password and since it's already in the Wallet, why bother show the dialog?
I agree that the dialog is superfluous, but the real issue lies in offering to "remember" the password in the first place. It's gobsmackingly stupid. Again, "automatic decryption" is the same as no encryption at all.
I hate to say it, but in Gnome it works flawlessly.
If GNOME does what you say you're after, then GNOME is even more broken. A bug report would be in order.

thunderogg

#5 Post by thunderogg »

dasein wrote: If GNOME does what you say you're after, then GNOME is even more broken. A bug report would be in order.
Perhaps more than one. Xfce4 and Mate do the same thing. :o I'll see if I can get used to typing the password. Thanks for your concern about security.
Debian 12 / Xfce4

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

I would be concerned about Gnome actually being able to "remember" the pass word, As mentioned, what is the point of even using encryption, if you use that
feature, and it remembers the password , ?
Scenario, You are at your work station, then you go out for little while, maybe
coffee break,.... some one, anyone can come in, simply click the files they are interested in, .. no need for password, it is remembered, and automatic,..
Then they could transfer to another usb stick, or what ever.

thunderogg

#7 Post by thunderogg »

GarryRicketson wrote: Scenario, You are at your work station, then you go out for little while, maybe
coffee break,.... some one, anyone can come in, simply click the files they are interested in, .. no need for password, it is remembered, and automatic,..
Then they could transfer to another usb stick, or what ever.
Well, since it's only me and my wife in this house, someone would have to break into our house first. :? Of course, there is always a risk that could happen, but somehow we feel quite safe and forget the how cruel the world can be. :shock: The encrypted pen drives were meant to be safe when being 'on the street', not necessarily inside our house. :) But better safe than sorry, so I decided to enter that password every time.
Debian 12 / Xfce4

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ok, I see now,...so if you lose one, or something, well that makes more sense now.

thunderogg

#9 Post by thunderogg »

GarryRicketson wrote:Ok, I see now,...so if you lose one, or something, well that makes more sense now.
Exactly. But since it doesn't work in KDE, I'll type the password. No problem, except that I'm lazy. :D
Debian 12 / Xfce4