Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Customizing MATE Pluma behavior?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
pfbram

Customizing MATE Pluma behavior?

#1 Post by pfbram »

I've been a Debian MATE user for a few years, and recently upgraded to 9 Stretch. There are some different quirks I've noticed with Pluma and I can't seem to find information on how to tweak more features of it. The editor does something strange out-of-box that few/no editors do. Specifically, it must remember every document I've opened, and automatically jump to the last line number the cursor was at when the document was last opened. That's strange behavior by default, and it's odd that there appears to be no way to change it. I prefer my cursor to always start in the upper-left position.

Does anyone know how to eliminate that cursor jump feature and, more broadly, not have Pluma remember the last documents opened? I don't find that helpful, especially if I move things around later on. It's strange that these are not customizable options in the settings/preferences menus.

Thanks,
Paul

orythem27

Re: Customizing MATE Pluma behavior?

#2 Post by orythem27 »

1. Go to Pluma's official GitHub repo -> issues;
2. Search keyword "is:issue position";
3. Bingo!

TonyT

#3 Post by TonyT »

gEdit and Pluma have always acted this way for me, the default is to restore cursor position.
There's a setting in dconf editor: org > mate > pluma > restore cursor position TRUE which can be set to FALSE.

pfbram

#4 Post by pfbram »

TonyT wrote:gEdit and Pluma have always acted this way for me, the default is to restore cursor position.
There's a setting in dconf editor: org > mate > pluma > restore cursor position TRUE which can be set to FALSE.
Thanks, that did the trick. Strange I don't remember it before. It might be that the newer MATE has some animation/scrolling that I didn't notice before. When I open a longer document there's a sort of swimming effect as the cursor moves down -- and I find that a bit disorienting and not the best functionality.

Anyway, I've been quite happy with Debian 9 so far. I do alot of amateur radio and have successfully compiled all of my go-to applications from source last week, refactored my older LAMP stack stuff to play better with PHP7 and MariaDB, etc. This has been my preferred distro for many years. Thanks for the tip!