Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] I think my internet was deleted.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
chadrick

[Solved] I think my internet was deleted.

#1 Post by chadrick »

Hello All,

I recently upgraded to Debian Stretch and all went good for about a week. Then, I installed a package using Aptitude from the Stretch repository. Aptitude deleted what looked like dozens, if not hundreds of packages. Now I have no Gnome, Cinnamon, XFCE etc.

I tried to open Aptitude to reinstall Gnome, Cinnamon and XFCE but it appears that I do not have Aptitude installed anymore.

I tried apt-get install aptitude. I get error messages saying that ftp.us.debian.org cannot resolve.

I then tried ifconfig and I do not see an eth0. I see a lo and a tun0 and an (UNSPEC). I think that means that I have no internet. Is that true?

chadrick
Last edited by chadrick on 2017-07-09 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

kopper

Re: I think my internet was deleted.

#2 Post by kopper »

Someone might ask what did you install and why would you let aptitude remove those packages without checking what was going to be removed?
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

You might open a terminal to see what packages got removed; maybe you can restore the necessary packages for your internet connection.
$ cd && ls /var/cache/apt/archives
And while you're about it, post what's in your sources.list. It's a bit odd that all the packages should've gone south.
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

orythem27

#4 Post by orythem27 »

It might be fixable but on the other hand it might not. But honestly, a complete reinstall would probably require the least effort at this point. Use LiveCD/LiveUSB to rescue personal data if necessary.
kedaha wrote:You might open a terminal to see what packages got removed; maybe you can restore the necessary packages for your internet connection.
$ cd && ls /var/cache/apt/archives
I think you mean /var/log/apt/history.log

chadrick

#5 Post by chadrick »

kopper wrote:Someone might ask what did you install and why would you let aptitude remove those packages without checking what was going to be removed?
Because I am a noob.

chadrick

#6 Post by chadrick »

orythem27 wrote:It might be fixable but on the other hand it might not. But honestly, a complete reinstall would probably require the least effort at this point.
I am going that route. My system was becoming too frankenized anyway.