Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Intel 750 Series SSD not detected

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
chadrick

[Solved] Intel 750 Series SSD not detected

#1 Post by chadrick »

Hello All,

I have a fresh install of Stretch on the HDD. I have the SSD installed on the motherboard.

Neither Linux nor BIOS is showing the SSD.

Should the motherboard be able to read an unformatted SSD right out of the box? If so, then I think I have a motherboard issue.
Am I supposed to do something to the SSD first before the motherboard will recognize it? If so, how do I get Linux to recognize it so that I can do whatever I need to do?

chadrick
Last edited by chadrick on 2017-07-11 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

pylkko

Re: Intel 750 Series SSD not detected

#2 Post by pylkko »

linux does recognize samsung 750 and it is used quite a lot by people running linux

chadrick

#3 Post by chadrick »

pylkko wrote:linux does recognize samsung 750 and it is used quite a lot by people running linux
That could be helpful to know in the event that someone is in the market for a new SSD.

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

Does that mean that you don't think that it is helpful to know in the case that you are wondering whether or not your problem is due to Linux/Debian?

Surely you weren't expecting some one to have a magical problem fixing answer to your,oh so detailed question about your hardware here?

You seem to be new to computers. May I ask then how you have come to the conclusion that Linux cannot detect your drive? Can you offer the output of some commands demonstrating (e.g lsblk) this or at least describe your hardware some what?

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Am I supposed to do something to the SSD first before the motherboard will recognize it? If so, how do I get Linux to recognize it so that I can do whatever I need to do?
The first thing I would do :
How to prepare a unformatted SSD right out of the box for linux

-----------------------------------
First hit, of many:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... s-in-linux
------------------------------------------------------------
Am I supposed to do something to the SSD first before the motherboard will recognize it?
There is some other things you can try as well:
""Can my computer support an SSD? updated 01/11/2011""
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ne ... t-29731982

It is not clear how you have the thing connected to the motherboard, or plugged in, or anything.
There is plenty of info on this out there though,
From one site: Part of it depends on the SSD. If it is an Intel SSD I would plug it into an Intel controller. When I first built my computer I had an Intel SSD plugged into a Marvell controller and had to deal with BSODs. When I plugged the Intel drive into an Intel controller the BSODs stopped. I'm not sure if that will happen with other SSDs as well (Samsung, Crucial, etc.). Without knowing the manufacturer and model of the motherboard I can't tell what or how many SATA controllers you have.

chadrick

#6 Post by chadrick »

chadrick wrote:Should the motherboard be able to read an unformatted SSD right out of the box? If so, then I think I have a motherboard issue.
That turned out to be the case.

I was thinking about this:
pylkko wrote:There is some other things you can try as well:""Can my computer support an SSD? updated 01/11/2011""
and decided to double check the motherboard manual. While reading about the different PCIE slots, I decided to try the SSD in a different slot. It worked!

Thank you for the links. They will come in helpful now that I am ready to format the SSD and do a fresh Debian install.

chadrick

pylkko

Re: [Solved] Intel 750 Series SSD not detected

#7 Post by pylkko »

You are giving credit to me every though the content that you found useful was offered by Gary.