Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How Apps deal with versioning config files?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bester69

How Apps deal with versioning config files?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,
I've always wondered how linux do to be able to deal with jumping fordwards/backwards among differents App installed versions.

Example:
- I install firefox v36, It creates a folder config with differentes files, and parameters. Then I install v38, and Its able to recreate new config directory, Then i jump back to v32, and the app, is able to keep settings and parameter, and recreate again config folder for that version.

- Ive seen this process breaks with chromium App: When you go backwards, the App notify you , you 're using a newer version for that config folder.

- But.. What about linux Apps??, Ive heard anything about this possible mess.., Is Linux dealing succesfully with this possible jumping backwards config versions??. Whenever I downgrade Debian or do a rollback Im insecure about how dowgraded Apps are dealing with the resident configuration files; so Im also taking previous snapshots of Home folder for the rollback, just in case... :?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

milomak

Re: How Apps deal with versioning config files?

#2 Post by milomak »

it would seem to me like you have already suggested in your post that this will be app dependent

so a properly developed app will try to take such things onto consideration. i use sid and had sometimes have reverted to a stable version of an app with no issue.

obviously this is true where no major changes have taken place.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

bester69

Re: How Apps deal with versioning config files?

#3 Post by bester69 »

milomak wrote:it would seem to me like you have already suggested in your post that this will be app dependent

so a properly developed app will try to take such things onto consideration. i use sid and had sometimes have reverted to a stable version of an app with no issue.

obviously this is true where no major changes have taken place.
I suppose its not a very good idea go backward dragging config files.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...