Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian ram usage

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
ruffwoof

Re: Debian ram usage

#21 Post by ruffwoof »

silvaf6 wrote:Heloo everyone.

I just saw this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... n_updated/. The user says his debian 9 xfce has a memory consumption of 345.43mb on day to day use, however on a clean install I got around 600-800mb minimum usage.

So, I was wandering how much memory is your Debian is consuming :)
... or wasting. Free = unused = wasted. Better to have free filled with cached stuff, so more quickly to hand if called upon, whilst quickly freed (deleted) if something else needs the space.

silvaf6

#22 Post by silvaf6 »

ruffwoof wrote:
silvaf6 wrote:Heloo everyone.

I just saw this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... n_updated/. The user says his debian 9 xfce has a memory consumption of 345.43mb on day to day use, however on a clean install I got around 600-800mb minimum usage.

So, I was wandering how much memory is your Debian is consuming :)
... or wasting. Free = unused = wasted. Better to have free filled with cached stuff, so more quickly to hand if called upon, whilst quickly freed (deleted) if something else needs the space.
Are you saying that for some reason my os is caching more stuff in ram? Im ok with it and my system is fast anyway, just found it odd that gsm had a biggest increase of ram usage than the average.

Lysander

#23 Post by Lysander »

silvaf6 wrote:
Are you saying that for some reason my os is caching more stuff in ram? Im ok with it and my system is fast anyway, just found it odd that gsm had a biggest increase of ram usage than the average.
He's saying that, as far as I can gather, gsm lists the amount of used and cached memory, whereas free -m does not list the cached memory usage.

There's a saying in tech communities that "unused RAM is wasted RAM" which is upheld by some while being sneered at by others - largely gamers who have 16GB-64GB of RAM, much of which will likely never be used. Personally I am on 5GB of RAM, 3GB SWAP and I have never maxed out.