Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thoughts on Lucky Backup?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Lysander

Thoughts on Lucky Backup?

#1 Post by Lysander »

I was using Deja Dup to back up my vital files but it has the annoying ability to not overwrite backups when my secondary drive gets full, in spite of saying that it will. I have heard this is an issue from other users. Taking that into consideration I am looking at other solutions. I have tried Lucky Backup and it seems straightforward, though unfortunately not in development any longer by the looks of things.

Does anyone else here use it and can comment on their experiences with it? Or can anyone comment productively..... at all on it, for that matter?

HuangLao

Re: Thoughts on Lucky Backup?

#2 Post by HuangLao »

Its great, simple does what it should and only that. Deja Dup is a bloated mess compared to Lucky.

But then again you could also just .tar files/folders and copy them to a USB HDD or SSD as well.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

I didn't like it. It is simple to use but it always had some reason or other that it didn't like my settings. I lost patience and dumped it. These days I clone the whole thing to a spare drive.

thatguychuck

#4 Post by thatguychuck »

I've used it for a while now. For no real reason in particular other than it was the first one I landed on that seemed to work well. All I really use it for is syncing drives, I've haven't rolled back a snapshot or anything. I love that I can hit "Validate" and it spits out the rsync command. I've used it like a GUI to setup an rsync command that I later used in a script.

peer

#5 Post by peer »

I use lucky backup almost a year now for syncing my home directory. Works easy and good. No problems here.

Zjho

#6 Post by Zjho »

Used it for two or three years. Super quick and efficient where complete copying would take an age. Saved loads of time and peace of mind. Would recommend. Find it does need checking on big jobs though. Large backups to thumb-drives that switch data transfer off when overheating can fail, even if left a long time to complete before clicking Done button, presumably because the code does not enjoy the same waiting provisions as a standard copy command ? Sizeable backups occur more than one might imagine such as when a big folder is renamed. Would like to be able to get rid of snapshot backup files made at the destination as never needed to use them to date.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by steve_v »

It works fine. I prefer plain old rsync, but if you really need a clicky UI this one's not bad.
However:
The developer has stated that it's "the code is almost frozen, this may effect future bug fixes and feature requests". Make of this what you will.
The name. Sorry, I can't help it, "luck" and "backup" do not belong in the same sentence. Generally a name is unimportant, but I just can't take this seriously. It sounds like a cheap Chinese appliance.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Lysander

#8 Post by Lysander »

Thank you very much indeed for all the affirmations. Good to know that many here favour the application.
steve_v wrote:The name. Sorry, I can't help it, "luck" and "backup" do not belong in the same sentence. Generally a name is unimportant, but I just can't take this seriously. It sounds like a cheap Chinese appliance.
I agree with you completely. I find the name very curious - and slightly inappropriate - and it always makes me think of a Chinese takeaway. Sure Backup or Safe Backup would make more sense, whereas Lucky Backup sounds like "it would either work or it wouldn't, but ideally it would". Since the dev is Greek, maybe the work τυχερός has another meaning which would make more sense than the English 'lucky'. I have no idea.

pylkko

#9 Post by pylkko »

There is also a GUI front end for rsync called grsync. Available in Debian repository. I used it a couple of times before moving to btrfs from ext4. Nowadays I just use snapshots