Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Genymotion doesn't work on Debian 9 Stretch

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
glass

[Solved] Genymotion doesn't work on Debian 9 Stretch

#1 Post by glass »

Since I installed the stable version of Debian 9, Genymotion stopped working.
I can start it, the virtual machine window opens, but the screen remains black. Virtualbox is installed of course.
Reading the genymotion player logs, seems like adb fails to connect, but I don't get more info. No firewall installed.
I already sent a mail to the Genymotion team, but after a month no answer.
Did anybody succeed in running Genymotion on Stretch?
Thanks

*Solved*
The problem wasn't Genymotion, but Virtualbox. Due to some incompatibilities you need to install Virtualbox 5.0, not the 5.1!
Last edited by glass on 2017-08-03 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

milomak

Re: Genymotion doesn't work on Debian 9 Stretch

#2 Post by milomak »

i'll confirm with you one thing. you will have to direct your efforts at genymotion

Code: Select all

$ aptitude search genymotion
$ 
you could also post error messages in the hope that they point to any easy fix. but really what you have posted is not helpful at all in trying to find a solution to your problem.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

glass

#3 Post by glass »

glass wrote:Did anybody succeed in running Genymotion on Stretch?
My question is simple, there are not much more details to add. If anybody says "Yes, in my Debian 9 it works" then I know it's my setup problem.
As I said, I already contacted them, but no aswer. That's why I'm asking here.
Your command is just useful to tell that it's not present in Debian repos.
So yeah I don't understand your post, but thanks for the effort.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

Since nobody has an answer, have you looked at possible alternatives? There are a lot of Android tools in Debian repositories.

peer

#5 Post by peer »

unfortunately genymotion does not work properly at all on my pc. There is a conflict with my graphics cart.
I walked away from genymotion and installed android-x86 in virtualbox.

glass

#6 Post by glass »

Yes, I tried all the most famous alternatives:
officlal SDK emulator, Android x86, Remix OS, shashlik (seems abandoned), Anbox (unsupported on Debian)
but no one of them is as fast & smooth as Genymotion.
I haven't looked too much on those I find on Debian repo, but they look like the official SDK emulator if I'm correct.

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

glass wrote:Your command is just useful to tell that it's not present in Debian repos.
That's your answer. Genymotion is a paid commercial product offered by a third party; it is not not part of Debian. In other words, your best source for support is from the folks who are looking to make a profit from it, or perhaps in some sort of semi/non-offical Genymotion support forum(s)/user group(s), if such things exist.
glass wrote:As I said, I already contacted them, but no aswer.
That's too bad. Maybe you should have let quality of after-sale support factor into your purchasing decision.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

by glass »My question is simple, there are not much more details to add. If anybody says "Yes, in my Debian 9 it works" then I know it's my setup problem.
It is pretty clear the OP does not want to hear/read any other ideas or solutions.
So far, only one person says they have tried it, :
peer wrote:unfortunately genymotion does not work properly at all on my pc. There is a conflict with my graphics cart.
I walked away from genymotion and installed android-x86 in virtualbox.

I am not going to try it, especially since they do not offer any real support.

Something I am having trouble understanding:
Post by glass » 2017-07-14 06:03
Yes, I tried all the most famous alternatives:
officlal SDK emulator, Android x86, Remix OS, shashlik (seems abandoned), Anbox (unsupported on Debian)
but no one of them is as fast & smooth as Genymotion.
If Genymotion does not even work, then how can it be faster or better then the
alternatives, ?
If it is working, and so much better, then why does the OP need to be asking here ?

If Genymotion is that important to the OP, and it was working ,etc. on a older version of Debian, why not just keep the older version, I mean, when something is working good,
there is no real reason to change to something that does not work.
Since Genymotion is not a Debian package, and the problem is that "Genymotion" is
not working, this really has nothing to do with Debian, at all.
If it was a case where their Debian system was not working, and/or they were having problems with a Debian package, then this would be the right forum.
It does not look like anybody here uses this software, with good reason, it does not work well, and does not offer the support it should.
Except for the one person "peer", and they confirm, it does not work on their system either.
Summary:
This topic should be in "off topic", and maybe with more time the OP will get some one
that actually managed to get the software working on Debian 9, or like wise maybe
eventually the developers of Genymotion will upgrade it so that it can be used on
Debian 9,... Has the OP tried it on some other distros ?

glass

#9 Post by glass »

I was surprised of how many unrelevant answers I was getting, then luckily GarryRicketson mentioned the Off Topic section... you're right I should have posted there, my fault from the beginning.

Just as a sidenote @dasein , I always used the free version.

I sent a request to move this topic to the right section.

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

glass wrote:Just as a sidenote @dasein , I always used the free version.
At the risk of seeming cynical, why do I suspect that that has something to do with why they haven't responded to your support email?

glass

#11 Post by glass »

dasein wrote:At the risk of seeming cynical, why do I suspect that that has something to do with why they haven't responded to your support email?
That's not cynicism, that's realism. ;)

glass

#12 Post by glass »

Oh, and Remix OS died too... http://www.jide.com/
The alternatives are fewer and fewer.