Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Usb mouse stops working randomly

Need help with peripherals or devices?
chavo

Usb mouse stops working randomly

#1 Post by chavo »

Hi to all.
I've recently reinstalled debian testing with a clean install and i've got an annoying issue:
randomly after some time, my usb mouse stops working, it's still active (the light is on), but it's blocked. When this happens there is no way to make it work again but rebooting the computer. I've tried almost everything: rebooting only the shell, disabling and enabling the mouse module, removing and re-inserting the usb etc..
The mouse works flawlessy on another computer.

Someone can help me understanding this?

My specs:
Debian testing, Gnome 3.22.2, kernel 4.9.0.3.
Pc HP 630, with intel I5 2520M.

GarryRicketson

Re: Usb mouse stops working randomly

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

I know I have seen this same question asked several times, maybe one of these:
http://forums.debian.net/search.php?key ... g+randomly
has a solution.
I am sure since you are using Debian testing, you are advanced enough to
do the testing needed, especially on the "new features" that come with Gnome.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

Here's the problem with all reports of "random" malfunctions...

1) The phenomenon under scrutiny is truly, genuinely random, which means that the problem is not reproducible. It's notoriously difficult to diagnose an irreproducible problem.

2) The problem isn't actually "random" at all, but rather merely intermittent. Whatever confluence of circumstances triggers the issue is rare, or multi-determinate, etc., etc.

The only way I'm aware of to distinguish between these two is to examine log files (in particular dmesg output, and in this case, the output of lsusb, both before and after the problem.)

@OP: if you're not familiar with dmesg output, now would be a good time to ask Google to explain it to you. But without any sort of diagnostic information, no one is going to be able to help you.

chavo

#4 Post by chavo »

1) Thanks for the fast answers.

2) I've used the word "random", because the behaviour seems really random to me:
sometimes it works for days after boot, sometimes for 15 minutes, sometimes it stops working when I'm using it, doesn't matter what I'm doing, sometimes when pc is completely idle.

3) I've posted a question here because I've searched extensively in the first 3-4 pages of Google, for hours, with different keywords, and I've found nothing but not working solutions, very old posts and nothing to diagnose the problem. Now I'll try to understand what's happening with the tools that you mentioned.. I'm just waiting for my mouse to stop working again :D

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Postby chavo » 2017-07-14 09:55
1) Thanks for the fast answers.
Your welcome,

When I have had problems with a mouse starting to not work, randomly like
you describe, the first thing I did was get a new mouse, and so far it has not
stopped working at all, not even randomly,.. it has been 2 or 3 years now.
I have another mouse that I need to replace, the scroll wheel acts up, and does
not all ways work.
Oops, I did not see this :
The mouse works flawlessy on another computer.
However, that does not mean it is the OS, what about trying a different
usb port ?
sometimes it works for days after boot,
But did you also try it for several days, on the other computer, ? since it is
random, maybe it worked flawlessly for the time you used it, but would eventually
fail on the other computer as well.
Then again, it could be a driver or firmware issue,...but with out any details, or at least
the 'dmesg' out put , nobody can really guess at it. The other threads/topics
do go into what details are needed.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-07-14 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

chavo

#6 Post by chavo »

Nope, I forgot to say that I've already tried switching mouse when this happens, but it doesn't fix the problem.

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

chavo wrote:Nope, I forgot to say that I've already tried switching mouse when this happens, but it doesn't fix the problem.
Ok then, what else have you tried but neglected to mention?

There's no point at all in having people guess in the dark, only to discover that you've already tried their suggestion(s).