Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch - Laptop Lid Opening Disables WiFI

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
DebJess

Stretch - Laptop Lid Opening Disables WiFI

#1 Post by DebJess »

Hi, this is my first time posting anything to the forum, so please ask me anything if I'm not thorough enough!

I'm running Debian Stretch, on a HP Stream 11 laptop. Whenever I close and open the lid, the WiFi disables. But it's the opening that disables the WiFi. I know this because I've got an addon installed on my browser that makes a sound whenever a download is done, and the addon sounds after the lid has closed, but whenever I open it to check the downloaded file, a notification immediately appears stating that the "network has been disconnected". So, the connection is still going on while closed, hence the download sound, but it disconnects when I open it.

I've searched the net for answers, but everyone seems to have trouble with the lid closing, not opening. I've got my Stretch configured to do nothing when the lid closes, by the way.

I had Jessie installed before, and this never happened. Maybe I have to tweak something? Or maybe it's a bug?

orythem27

Re: Stretch - Laptop Lid Opening Disables WiFI

#2 Post by orythem27 »

Try blacklisting the "hp_wmi" module. Note that it has side effects.

DebJess

#3 Post by DebJess »

Hi! Thank you for the quick response!

What exactly does blacklisting the "hp_wmi" module mean? How do I do it? What are it's side effects?

orythem27

#4 Post by orythem27 »

Add a line "blacklist hp_wmi" into any file under /etc/modprobe.d/ . Reboot.

"hp_wmi" is the HP laptop WMI hotkeys driver. Sometimes it interferes with the hardware radio killswitch. If after opening the lid you got "hard blocked: yes" from `rfkill list all`, then this module is probably the culprit. Blacklisting this module sometimes helps, but the "WMI hotkeys" might be left without a driver and stop working.

DebJess

#5 Post by DebJess »

The output from "rfkill list all" before closing the lid is:

Code: Select all

1: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
After closing/opening the lid:

Code: Select all

1: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: yes
	Hard blocked: no
So that means the hp_wmi driver is not the problem? Could the fact that it says "Soft blocked: yes" in the last output mean something?