Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing The DroidSansMono Font

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Caitlin

Installing The DroidSansMono Font

#1 Post by Caitlin »

This is not a request for help; just a report of my experience installing a font. Call it an answer, not a question.

I was dismayed to see Stretch removed the DroidSansMono font from the available built-in choices; it's clear and easy to read without having to go to a large point size, and narrow enough to fit a lot on a single line of paper. But I was able to get it back without too much trouble.

I went to http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/droid-sans-mono and clicked Download TTF. I unzipped the .zip, and moved DroidSansMono.ttf to /usr/local/share/fonts. Then it was just a matter of selecting that font in my text editor of choice (KWrite).

As an unexpected bonus, it gave me the choice of the original DroidSansMono or the "improved" versions. The difference is the zero in the "improved" versions has an ugly dot or slash in the middle of it. I chose the original, of course, and it looks beautiful.

With DroidSansMono in Jessie, I didn't even know there was an original version. Now I'll use nothing else, and I no longer have to look at that ugly dot.

Caitlin

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Installing The DroidSansMono Font

#2 Post by sunrat »

I used to use DroidSans when it was included. It may be included in the package fonts-droid-fallback but I haven't tried it as I just use NotoSans now.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!