Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to Show Password Field by Default on Login

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
broadsworde

How to Show Password Field by Default on Login

#1 Post by broadsworde »

I just switched from Ubuntu 16.04 to Debian 9 with Gnome 3, and I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to automatically show the password field so I can just go ahead and start typing my password rather than having to click on my name or press enter. I only have 1 user on my laptop, so I don't understand why I have to select that single user to be able to enter the password. Also, even with a use case of multiple users, it would seem more usable if either the last user or a specified high priority user was automatically assumed as the next login candidate after a reboot or a logout.

In the previous version of Debian (which I tried in a VM ahead of time), the password field was exposed by default on startup, assuming you tweaked thusly:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf 
comment out:

Code: Select all

greeter-hide-users = False
So loosing this usability efficiency functionality seems like a step backwards to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bulkley

Re: How to Show Password Field by Default on Login

#2 Post by Bulkley »

If you are a single user and have a single boot then there is no need for a display manager. I haven't used one for years. When I boot the system comes naturally to a CLI prompt for my user name; I enter that and it asks for my password. After entering that it goes to a linux command prompt. I enter startx and Xwindows opens up with my Openbox wm.

milomak

Re: How to Show Password Field by Default on Login

#3 Post by milomak »

if you want your user to auto login, you can follow this thread
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid