Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 is truly a great distro

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
joseph059

Re: Debian 9 is truly a great distro

#41 Post by joseph059 »

I moved from Ubuntu 17.04 to Debian Stretch. Ubuntu was a bloated distro and a resource hog. When I installed Stretch it was so much lighter and continues to be a real joy to run. Debian is pure linux, no other distro comes close to what Debian is. A great distro!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#42 Post by None1975 »

In my subjective opinion, Debian 9 is the best Debian releases ever. Maybe my hardware is linux friendly, maybe i am old school guy, who don't like full bloated DE (i use i3wm&old good startx), but on cold boot, Debian 9 uses 130 mb. RAM (on yhe other machine, Debian uses 120 mb. RAM with the same configuration). No bugs, freezes or crap like that. And yes. Guys, please report bugs to Debian bug tracking system https://www.debian.org/Bugs/.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Job

#43 Post by Job »

GarryRicketson wrote:
by Lysander » I would be interested so know how it differs to Squeeze and Wheezy other than just systemd
In a nut shell, at least to me, Squeeze and Wheezy were much easier to configure, and
trouble shoot, "clean", and simple.
You would really just have to try them, to understand the difference, but also every body
has different needs and preferences, I would bet if you did try Debian 6 squeeze, on a VM, you won't like it.
It does not have all the "new features", that the Debian developers have added, and combined, the Gnome developers, as well. On Debian 6 , the gnome DE was nice, worked
well, now Gnome has become useless to me.
The trend is pretty obvious, the Debian Developers are trying their best, and Gnome as well, are all trying to make Linux/Debian more appealing to the Windows crowd, and they
are succeeding, that is good if you are "mainstream", and want all the newest features, etc,.. have everything the others have.
Actually not just Gnome, all the Desktop Environments, are "improving" in the "mainstream users" opinion, (rather the say "windows users") .
In my opinion, these are not improvements, they are just unneeded baggage,. and of course the more complex the system gets, the more user unfriendly it gets.
Debian 9 might be considered a "truly great distro" by many, it get's into the "car"
analogy,... The newest Cadillac, with all it's fancy gizmo's, is truly a "great car", but not to me, I would prefer a older Volkswagen, and actually do have one,
Photo taken, In Clinton, OK, I drove it all the way from here, in Mexico, and back
several times when I was still working.

Even if they were both offered to me for free, I would take the VW,...well, no, I take that back,... I would accept the Cadillac, then sell it, buy a cheap, but good used VW, and with rest of the $$$ buy bird food.
The VW, has no "fancy gizmos", when something goes wrong it is very easy to repair,
The newest Cadillac, when something goes wrong, you need a very advanced auto technician to try to figure out what went wrong with which gizmo, and only the newest diagnostic equipment can be used.
In any event, Debian is a great distro, the thing of it is, it has become a Cadillac, and
I prefer something much more simple.
(that was supposed to be "in a nut shell", and got to long, sorry)
Best post on the board. Thanks Garry. I have been thinking why don't they give us an option to bare cars and anything else. Even tires have locks these days :roll:
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

GarryRicketson

#44 Post by GarryRicketson »

HuangLao wrote:
Nice ride Garry! We might have what you are looking for over here:https://salixos.org/
or antiX/MX
Thanks, but I found what I am looking for :

ticojohn

#45 Post by ticojohn »

Thought I would throw in my two cents worth. I've been using Stretch AMD64 on my Intel NUC since around April last year. Initially tried Lubuntu but really didn't like it. Tried to install Jessie but there were hardware issues and I wasn't smart enough to fix them, so I went with Stretch. After more than a year of use I have had ZERO problems. To me, that is the sign of a good DISTRO. All the other issues are just fluff! You're using Debian Linux; you can make it what you want and it will be rock solid (as long as you don't do something DUMB like I have in the past)! If you want fluff, then pick another distro (even Windows :cry: ). Stop complaining about all the fluff you're missing with Debian. It is what it is and darned good at that!

And by the way, Garry I like your desktop screen shot, especially the bird. I live in Costa Rica and daily have a yard full of Red Lored Parrots feeding on the Guayaba and other fruits. Noisy but fun to watch.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

RU55EL

#46 Post by RU55EL »

I am very pleasantly surprised at the flawless performance of Stretch on my NUC. Very solid, and performs a little better at HD video playback than Jessie.

tynman

#47 Post by tynman »

Debian is surely not the only one that changes the UUID of swap.
I know I saw this swap-UUID-switch behavior in Jessie every time I did a new installation. Pretty sure in Wheezy too.

I had always assumed this "feature" (assign a new UUID to a new swap partition) was a function of the swapon command, and I further assumed the Debian installer calls the swapon command after formatting the swap partition. I'm not sure how one would verify those assumptions. But if true, then we can't blame Debian for this odd feature - we would need to assign the blame (or accolades) to the author of the swapon command.

ruffwoof

#48 Post by ruffwoof »

tynman wrote:
Debian is surely not the only one that changes the UUID of swap.
I know I saw this swap-UUID-switch behavior in Jessie every time I did a new installation. Pretty sure in Wheezy too.

I had always assumed this "feature" (assign a new UUID to a new swap partition) was a function of the swapon command, and I further assumed the Debian installer calls the swapon command after formatting the swap partition. I'm not sure how one would verify those assumptions. But if true, then we can't blame Debian for this odd feature - we would need to assign the blame (or accolades) to the author of the swapon command.
Partition labels, as dasein highlighted, is the way to go IMO. Far easier to swap :) things around.

For instance /etc/fstab format something like

LABEL=seagate_yottabyte /media/yotta ext3 defaults 0 0

HubbleT

#49 Post by HubbleT »

Debian 9 is great, returned to debian after a while off, installation was easy , everything works 100%.... except with the wifi adapters and such, always had issues with those, in every distro it is a hastle.

ramblin

#50 Post by ramblin »

I think Debian 9 is truly a great distro ! My goal: to swap out a few outdated W%!#@$ desktops (I will not use swear words here) to live stream a wide variety of radio and tv sites. Barely a novice in Linux I`m total newbie to Debian, I found the installation simple and went thru without a hitch. After troubleshooting some "ancient" hardware issues I was up and running. Troublesome "WIFI" and hard to install "software" was made much easier by the overwhelming support I got on my 2 threads. Just great responce. One reason I chose Debian. Now, fully configured and over 100 hours of streaming I have not had a single issue. Far exceeded my expectations. All the previous headaches with W%!#@$ GONE !! Solid preformance ! LUV it. Thanks to everyone here.

Lysander

#51 Post by Lysander »

ramblin wrote:. Troublesome "WIFI" and hard to install "software" was made much easier by the overwhelming support I got on my 2 threads. Just great responce. One reason I chose Debian.
Looks like you have learned how to sort things out "the Debian way" after being told off in your second thread - forum baptism by fire! Glad it's going well for you.

jlinkels

#52 Post by jlinkels »

Yeah, it is. Unfortunately this thread already exists and this is post #59 in this thread or so. What I say does not stand out like I start a thread. But then again, it is bad etiquette to start a new thread on an identical subject.

It truly is a great distro.

I did not even know that Stretch had become stable. Shame on me! Either I have dropped off the Debian mailing list or I have skipped reading the mailing due to time constraints.

I just installed a fresh Stretch on a Dell Inspiron 5759 laptop. Dell is not the easiest hardware to install on, although it supports Ubuntu.

Anyway, the installation was flawless. I used UEFI boot with security disabled. To my big surprise, after installation the machine rebooted right into Debian. According to Dell you have to enter the BIOS again and set the default EFI boot to Linux. But apparently Debian has done it all.

The Inspiron comes standard with W10 and a whole lot of recovery and system partitions. I wiped the W10 data partition and created Linux and Swap partitions. All the other partitions I left alone. For sure the EFI partition! Not sure if I will be able to do a system restore ever in case I sell the laptop or when I have to send it back for repair.

I ignored the warnings for proprietary firmware during install. The wired network adapter worked so that was sufficient. I am not sure I am currently using the Intel VGA or the Radeon. It did not install the Radeon. If it is installed I will blacklist it in favor of Intel. The Intel is sufficient for the graphics I use and I expect a lower power consumption.

When installation was complete I installed the firmware for Intel Wifi and it picked up immediately. Sound and camera worked out of the box. Suspending as well.

I have been installing laptops from the time Sarge was Testing. And in that time it took rather a week to get everything up and running. Installing Stretch was done in less than 2 hours and I have slow Internet. Actually I did not tweak anything. Just added contrib an non-free and everything just worked (tm).

KDE5 is somewhat horrible, mimicking W10 style. Lord have mercy, I see more than enough W10 and Server 2k12 during work. And that theme IS tasteless. For the most part I was able to tweak that out except for a few things in the task bar, the Welcome screen and the splash screen. It seems that KDE5 is more usable than the first KDE4 which shipped with Debian.

I am quite happy with Debian 9 and the ease it installed on the laptop.

jlinkels

Wheelerof4te

#53 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Yes, Debian has improved much since my first installation of Wheezy back in 2014. On Wheezy I had to install non-free driver for my then old Nvidia card to get optimal performance. Was quite sad that nouveau on that ancient 3.2 kernel didn't cut it. Besides that, everything seemed perfect, even then. I had Office suite, a good enough popular Browser, an email client, great audio player (audacious), even better video player (vlc) and one of the best file explorers (Thunar). And thus came Jessie. My old card was blazing fast on 3.16, without non-free blobs! I felt great, I was experiencing progress right then and there. Jessie was fun, and I didn't really care much about systemd right away.

I mean, sure I was concerned about some monolithic entity consuming my user-space and constraining me just like Windows is now, but overall it felt better. I could tell my family I have found a viable solution to Windows XP EOL. Returning to the present, I find Stretch just as good, if not better than Jessie. Yeah, it had it's falls in the beginning but it has matured as all Stable versions do. I have it on one of my USB's ready to replace this Windows 10 anytime. In fact, I was pretty close to doing it the other day when Windows stuck at the update process. M$ outdone themselves with Win10 and it's updates. The only things that prevent me from switching now are better battery life and sentimentalities toward some dear people. Also, the lack of good Skype replacement for Linux.

But if you don't care about Skype or have good Linux hardware support, go for Debian Stretch. You won't regret it, not ever. It's a better OS than Windows 10 anyway.

Lysander

#54 Post by Lysander »

Wheelerof4te wrote: But if you don't care about Skype or have good Linux hardware support, go for Debian Stretch. You won't regret it, not ever. It's a better OS than Windows 10 anyway.
I just installed Skype via the .deb file on their site, seems to work fine but it's still Beta for Linux. I haven't tried a lot of its functionality. For people who need Skype as a business tool it may not be quite up to scratch yet on its features, I assume.

EDIT: going by this thread there are still a lot of issues with it. Maybe I should try and get the Pidgin plugin working, at least that's in the repos.

EDIT2: didn't realise Skypeweb existed. I'll just use that instead for now, purged the install.

ormu

#55 Post by ormu »

Switched to Debian 9 from LMDE because it's apparently not going to receive updates anytime soon and many software are getting really outdated. So far so good, and no need to go back to Ubuntu-related distros. Also, I've always liked Debian more than RPM-based distros (Suse, Fedora CentOS).

Some annoyances during installation:

-- The installer assumed that my hardware clock is in local time even though it's not. Maybe that was because I have Windows installed too. However, I have set Windows to use UTC. This was not hard to fix, but it would be better to ask during installation, especially if Windows is present. Or check UTC time via internet and compare with the hardware clock, then make clever conclusions.

-- The "Debian desktop environment" option in the software selection dialog is ambiguous because there is also a separate option for Gnome. I saw some older threads about this too.

-- The dialog where it asks about installing GRUB to the MBR is ambiguous too. No matter what you choose, the next dialog asks to define the device where GRUB should be installed. As far as I remember, even if you choose "No", it suggests /dev/sda which implies that GRUB is going to be installed to the MBR.

n0rthlight

#56 Post by n0rthlight »

After discovering 253 spywares and telemetry bullshit on windows10 I decided to finally take the full leap to Linux. I must have tried 20 of distro some of them 2 or 3 times and stopped on Debian for 4 reasons.

-Philosophy and Ideology's
-Stability and security
-Everything worked! (Well but my Nivdia card but that was easy to resolve)

Thanks you for Debian 9.

deborah-and-ian

#57 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Yaaaaaay for Debian! <3 As always, stable and reliable.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

Han Held

#58 Post by Han Held »

Normally Mint is my go-to Linux, but I installed Stretch in a VM and was impressed with it enough to see how it would work on my desktop.
So far, so good! Setting up Nvidia went a lot easier than I was afraid it was going to go, and having set up MATE, I don't think I'll be missing Mint.

After years in the Ubuntu wilderness it's nice to be home (even tho technically, all three are neighbors :p)

Gaius

#59 Post by Gaius »

The first Debian release I installed was Squeeze (6.0), in 2012 ...
... and oh boy, what fun that was.
IIRC I had to use a keyboard and mouse with a PS/2 plug for the installation, because Squeeze absolutely refused to accept the wireless versions.
Couldn't mount the optical drive without a lot of fiddling, needed to connect the screen to the mobo and install graphics card drivers after installation of Squeeze, and a hundred other small issues to make my life difficult.

So when I inserted the USB stick and rebooted to install Stretch (dual boot with Win10), I was ready for an afternoon of fun and games.

However ...
... Stretch (9.1) immediately recognized all the essentials (wireless keyboard, both screens, wired Internet, all internal and external SSDs/HDDs, even the GeForce GTX graphics card) and after manual partitioning proceeded with a completely painless installation.
All done within 20 minutes.

What a difference to 2012!

Once installed, there were no issues with configuring additional hardware. Not one. Debian's repositories are awesome these days.

Of course the OS itself works flawlessly. Fast, wonderfully stable and configurable to a fare-thee-well.
But that was to be expected, I guess ... it's Debian, after all.
And waiting for the first point release is a good idea.

Browsing the packages available for installation shows that there is absolutely no need to look at other places, Debian offers (nearly) every application one could possibly wish for.

Once I have reacquainted myself with Linux and Debian to a degree where I don't feel the need to consult or double-check with a manual before doing things and again feel comfortable about using it, I'll send Windows where the sun don't shine and switch to Debian completely.

A great big Thank You to all Debian developers, maintainers, and everybody who is (voluntarily and without payment, mind you) involved in improving it with every release.

Cheers,
Gaius
If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.
Albert Einstein