Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

a kernall that works for me?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
dvdjns

a kernall that works for me?

#1 Post by dvdjns »

I need to build a kernall with support for 3 wifi drivers from non free. when i try to download kernall source with apt i get error Need To Add More Sources To source list but looking online I can not find list of just sources. is there a way to download the source of all the packages in my debian8 jessie? what do i need to do to download the souce instead of .deb?
debian jessie with 3.16.0.4

orythem27

Re: a kernall that works for me?

#2 Post by orythem27 »

dvdjns wrote:I need to build a kernall with support for 3 wifi drivers from non free.
Explain this with detail. Maybe you don't need to do this?
dvdjns wrote:when i try to download kernall source with apt i get error Need To Add More Sources To source list but looking online I can not find list of just sources.
You mean the 'deb-src' repos?
dvdjns wrote:is there a way to download the source of all the packages in my debian8 jessie? what do i need to do to download the souce instead of .deb?
apt-get source <pkg>

dvdjns

#3 Post by dvdjns »

I had a hp mini and decided to load deb linux in dual boot with win 7 ultimate. deb 8 did not my wifi drivers in the kernel. So while trying to learn how to fix this I asked my friends to watch out for laptops so i could learn linux. now i Have two hp minis and a toshiba that does not have drivers in the kernel plus this samsung mini that does. I want to add wifi drivers for my three laptops using the samsung. Your right I think that I could install the drivers but I feel I should learn how to do this. My little bit of info on linux is that you can keep what you need and get rid of the stuff you don't. more or less: Everything I have read seems to indicate I can do this with what I have set up but I still get an error when send apt-get or synaptic to download source. so I do not understand something or understand it wrong.

Deb-src repos? not for sure. I will stick that in google and see.

Hoping I could do a select all and download source only.( for an archive.)
all the url's I have been getting info from are on my windows machine. will add them to this post when I can.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

dvdjns wrote:is there a way to download the source of all the packages in my debian8 jessie?
No matter what you mean by "all," this is an insane idea.
dvdjns wrote:I could install the drivers but I feel I should learn how to do this.
That's exactly like saying "I could install gimp/firefox/mplayer/whatever} as a package, but I feel I 'should' build them from source."

tl/dr: You're making this 10 times more complicated than it needs to be. Learn to walk before you try to run.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

The wi-fi hardware may already have drivers in the kernel, and all you need to add is the non-free firmware. It's impossible to tell from this end, since you aren't telling us what hardware you have.

About the only non-free driver (drivers are not firmware!!!!!) I can think of offhand would be the hybrid broadcom-sta one, and Debian makes it quite easy to build deb packages of the driver on a connected machine.
MX Linux packager and developer

dvdljns

#6 Post by dvdljns »

deb-src repo's was what I needed.

Also downloading sources is a good Ideal. I have everything else I can get from the dvd's posted on debian site. These comps will not run anything higher then jessie and they will remove that. soon? having my on archive makes sense. besides I do not have internet at home and do not plan on getting it.I do have about 20 external hard drives. even with jessie I need to keep this as light as I can. It handles mate but barely. When I downloaded this live cd it said + firmware so thats what I used here. jessie does not have my drivers in the kernel it has a set of drivers for an older wifi that I am told should work with the right non-free firmware but I have my drivers so I want them in my kernel. Why use drivers made for an older card if I can use the right one. besides I do 99% of my stuff on windows. It runs fast on all my comps. But I want to learn this. I really do not see what the problem is in answering my question.This is a problem that will keep coming up as I upgrade comps and os in the future. Then I will need to come on and ask the questions again. Oh well thanks for the answer you did give..

Wheelerof4te

#7 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Post the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -F
here in code tags. That way we can at least see what devices you have.

dvdljns

#8 Post by dvdljns »

I get a command not found on that code. Look it is plain you are not listening to anything I post so I will close this post and work on it on my own. thank you for your time spent on this. you did solve my problem with the src issue and I thank you for that.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

by dvdljns » 2017-07-26 12:13
I get a command not found on that code.
That probably is because you have not installed the command.

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/misc/inxi
After installing it, use:

Code: Select all

man inxi
For details on using the command.

HuangLao

#10 Post by HuangLao »

dvdljns wrote: besides I do 99% of my stuff on windows.
this says it all....difficulty explained.
:roll:

dasein

#11 Post by dasein »

Hmmmm...

Two similar-looking but subtly different user names with two very different "join" dates...

A "problem" that isn't really a problem...

After 10+ years' of even casual experience, is supposedly stymied by a "command not found" error...

Absolutely nothing better to do than to whine that he's being mistreated when nothing of the sort is even remotely close to true...

I know it won't do any good, but I feel moved to point out:

dvdljns

#12 Post by dvdljns »

LOL This was my problem (when i try to download kernel source with apt i get error Need To Add More Sources To source list but looking online I can not find list of just sources.)
You did a lot of posting to not answer that. It does not matter what drivers I am adding the procedure to roll a kernel should be the same for any set of drivers. I don't see why it is whining to expect someone to read a post and answer a question. A troll! maybe if a troll is a person that wants the person offering the help to read the post and focus on the problem. maybe I should not have added any background info. surely you did notice I never asked if jessie had my drivers or how to roll the kernel yet that seemed to be what you locked on to. I clearly stated the error I got and when I got it. I am really not sure why there is a confusion here but will work on doing better posts in the future.

GarryRicketson

#13 Post by GarryRicketson »

Postby dvdljns » 2017-07-26 16:31
LOL This was my problem (when i try to download kernel source with apt i get error Need To Add More Sources To source list but looking online I can not find list of just sources.)
So why don't you show us what your sources.list file looks like? then some one
can say what is wrong with it. Or better yet just read some documentation.

https://wiki.debian.org/apt-src

@Dasein , interesting , good catch:
dvdjns

+++++++++++++++++++++
dvdljns

SO , what is this guy trying to pull ? And which one will respond ?
I vote, close the thread, and ban the most recent one. Besides it is a windows user anyway,
they do not really need to be here.
by dvdljns » 2017-07-25 19:49 besides I do 99% of my stuff on windows
============= edited =======================
For those that are not using windows, and really need details about their sources.list
file, it is well documented, and there are examples here:
https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
and here:
https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/apt/ ... .5.en.html
If you still have problems, after reading the above guides, the only way
anyone can say why you can not install the packages you want, or why
your sources.list file is not working as expected/needed, the only way
we can say what is wrong would be if you post a copy of what your
sources.list and sources.list.d files and directory actually have,..then maybe someone
will notice what is wrong.

If all you want is the source files, and not the packaged installation files,
Using the 'inxi' package mentioned above as a example:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/inxi
You can just down load the source file by using the link shown on the right
side of the page,..
The same could be applied to any package, or source file, just use the name of the package, "inxi", or "leafpad", "etc any packagename".
I posted this for the benefit of any one else that might be interested, and not as a reply
to the OP, or OP's,.... one of them seems to be just a windows user , looking to stir things
up.
+===================
For just the kernel:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/linux-source-3.16
------------------------
And with out the .deb
http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main ... rig.tar.xz

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

And thinks that they can get source code for non-free drivers? Hello?

Won't simply let us know what fracking drivers they're talking about?
MX Linux packager and developer