Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to boot

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Blah

Unable to boot

#1 Post by Blah »

Hello.

First, I would just say, I am very new to all things Linux. Coming from Windows.
I thought I would try Debian on my older PC.
So, I downloaded Debian 9.1, and made a bootable USB with Rufus.
Lots of trouble with the installation, but finally I stopped getting errors.
But - it won't boot.
I don't know what info might be relevant, but here does;

I'm using the graphical installer.
Before, I had two partitions, the system and data.
When installing Debian I used the guided partition thingy to format and make two partitions from the system one. Swap, and the rest in '/'.
When I continue it complains about No EFI partition, so I create a EFI System Partition, and set the boot flag, as I read somewhere. If I ignore this, I get an fatal error about GRUB failed to install.
Everything is fine, the installation goes through, but when booting it just opens the bios.
I've checked the boot options and the only one enabled, is the one named 'debian', with a UEFI label over.

I read somewhere that I should disable secure boot. But I do not have an option like that.
The motherboard I'm using is a Sabertooth 990FX.

I hope someone is able to help me.

alex.theoto

Re: Unable to boot

#2 Post by alex.theoto »

If your system is on uefi mode, take a look at the wiki page.
If for some reason you have problem on uefi mode and you don't have Microsoft OS on your computer, see if you can set your motherboard on bios mode.

Blah

#3 Post by Blah »

When I installed it, it seems to be UEFI and that worked fine.
I don't have Windows anymore since I just formatted.
I can't find anything about changing to bios mode.

pendrachken

#4 Post by pendrachken »

Since it is an Asus board, most of the fun options are only available under the "Advanced" section.

Here is where to find legacy mode and secureboot on most Asus boards. Answer is in the green post, but may not be word for word what you see in your personal settings install.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

alex.theoto

#5 Post by alex.theoto »

Download motherboard's manual and read chapter 3.

Blah

#6 Post by Blah »

I have looked everywhere in the bios settings. I don't have CSM, legacy, secure mode or anything like that. And I have the newest bios version.
And I don't seem to find anything in the manual to help me.

This video shows the setting.
https://youtu.be/8f3Jt4NvdNY?t=233

But thats R2. I guess I have R1, so I don't have those options.

alex.theoto

#7 Post by alex.theoto »

Is there a bios update?
Can you disable secure boot and try the installation again?

Blah

#8 Post by Blah »

My bios is fully updated.
Where is the setting to disable secure mode?

alex.theoto

#9 Post by alex.theoto »

It's showed on your video. The last option. But on the other hand, it doesn't look like secure boot problem but more than gpt and uefi partition problem.
I'm sorry but until now, I haven't installed linux distro on uefi mobo and I haven't experience.

Blah

#10 Post by Blah »

Yeah, it's in the video. But as i wrote I don't have those options.
The video is of Sabertooth 990FX R2, and I guess I have have R1.

squeeze

#11 Post by squeeze »

Blah wrote:Everything is fine, the installation goes through, but when booting it just opens the bios.
What do you mean by that? Never heard that bios gets "opened" without user interaction. Edit: well, could be that one: https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall

Try some live-cd and see if it works. I.E. Ubuntu...
“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

Blah

#12 Post by Blah »

I guess it happens when it can't boot. I don't know. It just goes directly to the bios.
I just tried Lubuntu live on USB, and it worked fine. I then tried installing it.
I still have the 'debian' option in my bios boot options. And when booting from the other option it ask me to choose 'Ubuntu' or 'Advanced Ubuntu options', when choosing 'Ubuntu', it works fine.
Every other disk gives me a Windows Boot Manager error, which I guess is fine since there are no OS's on those disks.

Blah

#13 Post by Blah »

If it makes any different, the Lubuntu installation does not have the 'UEFI' label, like the Debian have.