Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New stretch install, sources.list question [SOLVED]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bryanmc

New stretch install, sources.list question [SOLVED]

#1 Post by bryanmc »

While digging around getting ready to install the drivers for my nvidia graphics card I was reviewing /etc/apt/sources.list. I noticed that on the main entry contrib and non-free seemed reversed as opposed to the entries for security (and everything I could find in the wiki). This is how they look on this new install:

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib 
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib 

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free 
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free 
Is that correct?
Last edited by bryanmc on 2017-07-25 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

kopper

Re: New stretch install, sources.list question

#2 Post by kopper »

Guess it's usually main contrib non-free,but I don't think the order really matters as long as the component names are valid, separated by spaces and in the end of the line.

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

*humph* Order matters not. For yourself you could verify this.

bryanmc

#4 Post by bryanmc »

Thanks for the answers. Just one of those things that I wasn't sure of and couldn't dig up the answer to.

dasein

Re: New stretch install, sources.list question [SOLVED]

#5 Post by dasein »

Missed the larger point it seems you have.

Always better it is to test for yourself, rather than to rely on the testimony of others.

If unclear it is to you how you would test, contemplate the question you should, until the answer you have.

bryanmc

#6 Post by bryanmc »

The point was taken. :oops:

Thorny

#7 Post by Thorny »

bryanmc wrote:The point was taken.
You are an intelligent user, bryanmc. You came here to learn and did. What's more, you probably showed you have a sense of humour. And, you added solved to your thread so it might help others.

Realise that the point was made not just for you but also for all the lurkers reading posts. Most of the regular helpers on Debian User Forums want people to learn to help themselves and gain the confidence that they can.

Unless you are compiling, you probably don't need the deb-src lines in your list. But that's minor.

OT - @dasein This yoda character is an interesting way to make your point. I always liked the soft-spoken little green guy.

ruffwoof

#8 Post by ruffwoof »

In Jessie I just have the MAIN (no contrib, no non-free) ... and no src either (just two lines). I find that nvidia seems to run better using the repositories nouveau than if the nvidia driver is used. I believe Debian tweak things for the better and using theirs means you can keep things more pure Debian (which collectively works great). I don't really miss the additional functionality that having the nvidia driver/program might otherwise provide (I don't really know what half the potential tweaks offered are anyway).

bryanmc

#9 Post by bryanmc »

Apologies for straying OT (just this once).

Thorny... I have a great sense of humor and am still wondering why I didn't just run it to see if it would have worked. Dasein made an excellent point, the yoda-speak made it even better. Most of the things I've run across so far I've been able to tackle with some research, tweaking, editing, and a fresh clonezilla image at hand LOL.

Ruffwoof... Yes, it seemed to run fine with the nouveau driver, but in my line of thought nouveau is like a crescent wrench (spanner for our friends across the pond) made to work with many adapters while the nvidia driver is the exact wrench. If it doesn't work as well or better, I can always revert back.

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

bryanmc wrote:...and a fresh clonezilla image at hand
:cool:

Would that everyone took this simple precaution.