Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Flash - the end is near...ish

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Flash - the end is near...ish

#1 Post by sunrat »

Adobe announces end-of-life for Flash:
https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2 ... pdate.html

And Mozilla explains their roadmap for retiring it in Firefox:
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... -end-life/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Innovate

Re: Flash - the end is near...ish

#2 Post by Innovate »

:D My first question after that end is........
What's Alan Becker gonna do? If flash really die? I can't even think of picture if he shocked. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/user/noogai89
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlanBeckerTutorials/videos

All his works animator vs animation are completely flashes
he never ever learn to use other animation tool replacement even once
What tool will he use next time? Nothing perhaps? :mrgreen:

I wish he would learn to use something else for flash replacement
to make animator vs animation on Linux desktop version I want to see it badly.
I never seen stick man animation fight on any Linux desktop even once.

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

Thanks sunrat for the news; it's cheered me up. And as Shakespeare's Hamlet says:
'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished.
:D
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by NFT5 »

End of 2020.

End-of-life means that they will stop supporting it. Doesn't mean that it will stop being used. Just think of XP.

deborah-and-ian

#5 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Innovate wrote: All his works animator vs animation are completely flashes
he never ever learn to use other animation tool replacement even once
What tool will he use next time? Nothing perhaps?
He uses the Flash animation tool, not Flash Player. Most people export their Flash made animations as videos anyway. The tool will continue to exist, it probably just won't offer the Flash video format anymore (swf, flv files). The interactive animations will probably be exported as Javascript/HTML5.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

Innovate

#6 Post by Innovate »

deborah-and-ian wrote: He uses the Flash animation tool, not Flash Player. Most people export their Flash made animations as videos anyway. The tool will continue to exist, it probably just won't offer the Flash video format anymore (swf, flv files). The interactive animations will probably be exported as Javascript/HTML5.
Of course I aware about he use flash animation tool not flash player. But after flash player dead flash tool might be next.

To be honest, I want to do stickman animations on Debian on the Linux side but I'm trouble choosing which tool should I start
The other obstacle is I've to read all his tutorials and convert all his flash way into these alternative animation applications.
There's a high chance I might start with synfig but I'm not sure is this possible to be convert.
Also there're pencil, tupi, openshot, vidcutter which I'm not sure will it do any help.

But thanks for clarify about html5 conversion. So, there's the way to convert to html5 then. I'll look forward what's he gonna do.
I'm amazed his desktop animation skills but I'm sulked that he completely ignored linux world. So I'll make that counterpart.

deborah-and-ian

#7 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Innovate wrote: But after flash player dead flash tool might be next.
What are you basing this impression on? AFAIK Flash was renamed to Adobe Animate and is still very much alive and developed.
Innovate wrote: To be honest, I want to do stickman animations on Debian on the Linux side but I'm trouble choosing which tool should I start
The other obstacle is I've to read all his tutorials and convert all his flash way into these alternative animation applications.
There's a high chance I might start with synfig but I'm not sure is this possible to be convert.
Also there're pencil, tupi, openshot, vidcutter which I'm not sure will it do any help.
Sadly, I don't have a lot of info, but it seems that the Linux way would be to use Synfig for 2D animation, Blender for 3D and then supplement those with Krita, Gimp or Inkscape if you need more complex painting, raster or vector tools. For video editing, I wouldn't necessarily recommend Openshot, maybe Kdenlive for the prosumer needs or go right away with something really professional (but a bit harder to learn) like Lightworks, Cinelera or even Blender (all the 3D animations that were made in Blender were also edited on it).
Innovate wrote: But thanks for clarify about html5 conversion. So, there's the way to convert to html5 then. I'll look forward what's he gonna do.
I'm amazed his desktop animation skills but I'm sulked that he completely ignored linux world. So I'll make that counterpart.
I know that Flash has always had a way to convert Flash to other video formats, so I assume that Adobe Animate will have ways to convert interactive animations into some form of Javascript. The Wikipedia entry about it mentions HTML5 Canvas features.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Animate

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

Innovate

#8 Post by Innovate »

welp, nvm about flash end.
As long Alan can convert his way to do animation after flash death in 2020 then I won't lose any benefits.
Since it's 2017 currently I still have plenty of time of convert his flash animation ideas & tutorials to work with linux animations tools.

However, Thank you for tools guidance whether much or less doesn't matter even little piece of information
That'd be a lots of help for my animation making direction decisions.
Because i used to wondering do i have use vdo editor along with synfig or just synfig would be enough that's all.
If I've to use both then I'll use them both.

deborah-and-ian

#9 Post by deborah-and-ian »

You're welcome. As I said, my information about it is very basic, but I know that Synfig is used by a healthy community, they even have a forum. And I've recently seen this Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SynfigOfficial/videos

Doing graphics work on Linux has improved significantly over the more than 10 years I'm using it. I remember when Synfig was started (2005, 2006?) and everyone laughed at it, complaining that it's buggy and it can't do much. And now people are doing cartoons in it. Great!

And if you have the time, do join the Synfig forums or bug tracker if you feel that it's lacking options. We can all contribute, even if we're not programmers.

Lots of success with your animation work!

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

pylkko

#10 Post by pylkko »

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/3 ... obe_flash/

Join the petition? The guy has a point. Sort of

HuangLao

#11 Post by HuangLao »

if its true...this time....then good riddance. have a feeling like an in-law, boils or herpes it may return in a different location or form.

pylkko

#12 Post by pylkko »

HuangLao wrote:if its true...this time....then good riddance. have a feeling like an in-law, boils or herpes it may return in a different location or form.
Would you like it more it it were open sourced, however? See the link I posted above. One thing that the guy says would be possible then is translator software that would translate flash to html5 automatically

deborah-and-ian

#13 Post by deborah-and-ian »

The issue of open vs closed source software is a lesser problem here. I think Flash is a technology akin to Xorg. It's doing a lot of great things, but it's old and clunky, and large code just is more susceptible to security issues. The replacement comes in form of HTML5, CSS and JavaScript, which makes the individual components spread out and less likely to fail (well, you can still have loads of JS that just sucks and is vulnerable, but I think it's still better than Flash).

IMHO, Flash should continue to exist as a sort of sandboxed virtual machine, so the old Flash Games and artistic animations may be curated for posterity, but it has no business in a modern web browser.

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD