Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Solved . No sound for amarok

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
midish

Solved . No sound for amarok

#1 Post by midish »

Hi again, I upgraded to stretch this week on the main pc here and it's been awesome. One thing I haven't been able to figure out is a sound issue in amarok.
Everything else has sound working including other sound and video apps.
gstreamer phonon was by default in the settings, but I did test phonon-vlc as well with no success.
Also, in the phonon configuration screen, under the hardware tab, there's no hardware listed, in fact it's blank and gray out and no sound device.
I was thinking that maybe has something to do some (previously installed) jessie config files since I'm using the same /home partition than the previous system and I didn't bother in removing any config files because I was planning on using pretty much the same apps. But since the new debian has upgraded from kde4 to kde5... I don't know, maybe there's something making conflict but I don't want to just try messing around without asking first. :oops:
Last edited by midish on 2017-08-01 04:19, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: No sound for amarok

#2 Post by sunrat »

Do you have any sound related configs, maybe in /etc/modprobe.d/ or /etc/pulse/ ? Maybe the wiki can help - https://wiki.debian.org/PulseAudio

Post the output from these commands:

Code: Select all

lspci |grep -i audio
aplay -l
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

midish

#3 Post by midish »

okay, first I don't have any conf file that isn't by default in /etc/modprobe.d/ or /etc/pulse/ and haven't modified anything.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
and

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Loopback [Loopback], device 0: Loopback PCM [Loopback PCM]
  Subdevices: 7/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: Loopback [Loopback], device 1: Loopback PCM [Loopback PCM]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC221 Analog [ALC221 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 3: io2 [io|2], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
As I told you, everything has sound but amarok. I kept my home partition from my previous system (jessie kde 4) with all the config files in it. Now I have stretch kde 5 installed and was wondering how to get rid of the kde4 config files that I don't need now. Maybe some of them are causing trouble (?)
Last edited by midish on 2017-07-26 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Which device are you using for playback? USB, internal analog or HDMI?
Multiple devices can be tricky and you may need to create an alsa conf file.

Have you tried the Pulse Audio Volume Control utility?
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

midish

#5 Post by midish »

I'm using the usb device, any other pulseaudio applications have sound so that can't be, right? :(
Forgot to mention that I'm using 'cadence jack with alsa/pulse bridge plugin' everyworks perfectly fine except for amarok. I used to have the same setup on jessie.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

It may be trying to play through your other sound device. Again:
Have you tried the Pulse Audio Volume Control utility?
You can set the output for each program using this.

Using Jack and the Pulse/ALSA sink is another variable.
I used Amarok and loved it with KDE 3 & 4. It hasn't been updated for 2 years and may be abandoned according to one source I heard. I tried it in Plasma 5 a while back and it just won't work properly, particularly the GUI. I now mainly use DeadBeef which, although not in Debian repos, has never given an ounce of trouble. You may be better changing players too. Other options may be Clementine, Cantata, or a new KDE player currently in beta called Elisa (not tried it yet).
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

midish

#7 Post by midish »

Today I happened to be working on some sound related mix and an OGG file opened with amarok (which I wasn't expecting) and it got playback :D
It turned out that I was missing gstreamer-plugins-ugly package lol
My music folder is all mp3. So that's why amarok won't play anything from there, I guess.
I was using audacious meanwhile because amarok is my favorite player for library. Despite not being updated it works flawlessly.
I was using clementine for a year or so and it is so good as well but I just like amarok more. Anyways thank you for helping me :D

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Solved . No sound for amarok

#8 Post by sunrat »

Haha, the old A-B problem. Trying to solve issue A when the problem is issue B.
Most of my collection is FLAC or Ogg Vorbis which are fairly universally supported in Linux, so it's easy to spot whether it's the player or just mp3 not working.

How's the interface for you? Last I tried in Plasma 5, not everything worked as it should.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

midish

Re: Solved . No sound for amarok

#9 Post by midish »

um amarok is working pretty much the same as it did in plasma 4, integration is good. Flawlessly and is pretty as it is.
I have never try every single feature on amarok because I tend to disable every add-on I won't need and that's like all of them except for the lyrics add-on :lol:
I just don't happen to install my main system very frequently so I forgot that I needed certain package in order to play mp3 on amarok while audacious and other players don't need it.
I kept my library all mp3 since the days when portable devices wouldn't play anything but mp3 or wav. I guess I could perform now a massive conversion to ogg with soundkonverter :D