Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[/Thread] Thumb drive with a personality disorder

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
qyron

[/Thread] Thumb drive with a personality disorder

#1 Post by qyron »

I've recently bought a 128GB thumb drive. Because it was formatted to a strange format (xfats, if I remember correctly) I used GParted to format it to a friendlier fat32, using GParted.

The program formatted the frive and the total available space is about 125GB, which is not unexpected. However, when using Caja, the drive reads as having 134,2Gb available.

What can originate this kind of behavior? Its fully functional, so I'm not about to go complain with the vendor but I find this strange, nonetheless. A memory medium having a bit less of the full capacity available is normal but more? And different readings in different programs? How? And why?

Also, is fat32 still the best choice for formatting this kind of drives, with the ever growing size?
Last edited by qyron on 2017-07-26 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

bester69

Re: Thumb drive with a personality disorder

#2 Post by bester69 »

qyron wrote:I've recently bought a 128GB thumb drive. Because it was formatted to a strange format (xfats, if I remember correctly) I used GParted to format it to a friendlier fat32, using GParted.

The program formatted the frive and the total available space is about 125GB, which is not unexpected. However, when using Caja, the drive reads as having 134,2Gb available.

What can originate this kind of behavior? Its fully functional, so I'm not about to go complain with the vendor but I find this strange, nonetheless. A memory medium having a bit less of the full capacity available is normal but more? And different readings in different programs? How? And why?

Also, is fat32 still the best choice for formatting this kind of drives, with the ever growing size?
Open Sources is like that, I prefer not say it with bad words to not rise offenses, you'd get used to that kind of things...

For example, Today i tried to export to pdf a scanned image, I got serious headaches as i hadnt documented previouslly the way to follow to get it right.
I spare 14 minits of my life trying to figure it out how could i export properly that image to pdf format.. :shock:

In linux thing never works as expected at first try, unless its well documented.

by the way, id you want a win partition, I'd use NTFS format for that big Disc
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Thorny

#3 Post by Thorny »

qyron wrote:I've recently bought a 128GB thumb drive. Because it was formatted to a strange format (xfats, if I remember correctly) ...
Perhaps it was exFAT.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Often the difference between marked capacity and what is reported by a system is due to the difference between GB and GiB. That can also be looked up with a search engine.

qyron

#4 Post by qyron »

I was really on my best English when I wrote my initial post. Not that I am that very good with but...

This is getting tedious... The pen was marked as a 128 Gigabytes drive, not as a 128Gibibytes. Thank you very much for that reminder. Converted to GB, it adds up.

Well, now I know of a vendor that has actually lost money on a deal.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2