Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[CLOSED] [Solution not clear] Problem w/ install ISO

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
qyron

[CLOSED] [Solution not clear] Problem w/ install ISO

#1 Post by qyron »

I've been having problems with ISO images I load to thumb drives to perform installations.

I've used three different solutions (multibootusb, MultiSystem and Rufus) to load installation images to thumb drives and, although I can access the images and even try the live medium when available, when trying to perform the de facto installation, I get an error reporting the installer has failed to find my installation disk on my CD/DVD drive.

I've tried with several images of Debian 9 (netinst, i386_xfce, amd64_xfce, multiarch), BunsenLabs Deuterium i386 Non-Pae (no yet supported on MultiSystem), among others.

At first I assumed it was some problem with using multibootusb, so I changed to MultiSystem, that had never failed me before, with similar results and out of desperation I resorted to Rufus with equal results.

Has anyone encountered similar problems?
Last edited by qyron on 2017-08-05 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

Dai_trying

Re: Problem with images in thumb drives for instalation

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

I had seen some posts on this forum with the exact same problem and I thought (could be mistaken though) that it had been fixed with the latest release, I guess the first thing to check would be if you are using the latest release images. The latest version is 9.1.0.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by NFT5 »

And I thought it was just me....

Three USB drives on my desk right now - Debian 8.8, Debian 9.0 and MX-16. All have the same problem.

I copied the images using dd (as detailed here).

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

@NFT5
Have you tried the 9.1.0 version of Debian to see if it has been fixed?

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by NFT5 »

Not yet. Because I was having the same problem with 8 and MX-16 I'd intended to research a bit more first. It's not something that I remember having seen before....and then this thread popped up.

qyron

#6 Post by qyron »

I wish I still had old images of Debian 8 around because those actually worked. I could work around this issue by simply making a base install, change the repos and issuing a dist upgrade. With less packages to upgrade, less chances to garble things up.

But since I started using USB sticks to install my systems, I don't keep images around after using it. I got used to get my images fresh from the stock. After this, I think its better to consider getting another stick just to save actually working images to the side.

There is a similar problem reported here but its a necro from 2010 that got revived and even then the problem was related with unetbootin.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by NFT5 »

Dai_trying wrote:@NFT5
Have you tried the 9.1.0 version of Debian to see if it has been fixed?
Just downloaded both 8.9.0 and 9.1.0 and copied on to USBs using dd.

Same problem - it keeps trying to find and mount the USB as a CD/DVD drive.

qyron

#8 Post by qyron »

I'm no wizard, but I'm ready to risk there is some hidden issue in the Debian installer structure that is causing this. I'm going to try tomorrow a distro not Debian based to see if this behavior persists.

You're using DD, which I admit I haven't yet tried, but if ISO's are failing to load the installer properly on four different solutions for the same task, its quite inviting to say the problem is on the ISO side, not the software used to load it.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

Dai_trying

#9 Post by Dai_trying »

I installed using the netinstall image and had no problems, it might be worth trying that (if you haven't already).

qyron

#10 Post by qyron »

Which version? I have an i386, an amd64 and even a multiarch netinst image and all reported the same problem.

It's too late in my neck of the woods to go for another attempt now, but I'll try it during the day. Maybe - hopefully - it was just a fit...
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

Dai_trying

#11 Post by Dai_trying »

I just checked my iso collection and it was probably the rc3 stretch image that I used, so may not be relevant now sorry about that... I thought I had used a newer version but obviously not... :oops:

qyron

#12 Post by qyron »

Don't sweat about that.
Apparently, the problem persists.
What would be the place to submit a bug report?
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

Dai_trying

#13 Post by Dai_trying »

The bug reporting page from Debian wiki https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting explains better than I could. :)

qyron

Re: [CLOSED] [Unclear cause] Problem w/ install ISO

#14 Post by qyron »

After several experiments, I was able to work around this issue but I can't figure what was the real problem to start with.

I started by discarding all images I had already downloaded and got fresh ones. However, even with these new ones, MultibootUSB was having problems making images able to perform as valid installation mediums (error detecting installation medium) but all live-able images were capable to boot and run with no errors so I opted to load a live system of MultiSystem and run it.

With MultiSystem running from a thumb drive. loaded with MultibootUSB, I installed a second thumb drive with MultiSystem and loaded the Debian 9 multiarch, Debian 9 i386 and Debian 9 x86_64 (the last two, netinst version) onto it. All became boot-able except for the multiarch image, that gave a persistent error of being password protected and negated installation. All other images ran flawlessly and became installation able.

The only image I was really negated to install through MultiSystem was BL Deuterium, which is not supported. MultibootUSB was able to make it installation ready using the DD interface to load the image onto another pen.

Although I got where and what I wanted, it's not clear for me why images worked through one software and not another and after having fatal problems that blocked using it as valid means to preform an install, from all the software solutions I tried and mentioned in the first post.

I'm discarding up front the hypothesis of badly downloaded ISO because all checksums matched. The chances of several different images suffering from the same problem over several different software solutions seems minute, so this is also something I'm tempted to discard. What the actual problem was will probably remain a mystery, as it was gone just as fast as it appeared.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2