Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Liquorix kernel for stretch stable

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
midish

Liquorix kernel for stretch stable

#1 Post by midish »

I need help on how to install this kernel properly on stretch now that it's stable and since liquorix only provides its repositories for testing.
Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

stevepusser

Re: Liquorix kernel for stretch stable

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Currently the kernel headers require gcc-6, so the kernel and headers will work fine on Stretch. I could add a Stretch version to my Jessie Liquorix kernel repo if they jump up to gcc-7 in the future.
MX Linux packager and developer

s25a

#3 Post by s25a »

Hi,

I am also very interested in using the Liquorix Kernel on Stretch. I ve used it with Debian and really like it.

Any advise how to get this installed? @Steve: Can you provide this? This would be fantastic?

Thanks

S

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

s25a wrote:This would be fantastic?
What would be even more fantastic is if you did just the tiniest little bit of research first, rather than implicitly demanding that someone retype an answer just for you, (@OP: This applies to you too.)

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=131341

See also: What we expect you have already done

s25a

#5 Post by s25a »

Hi,

sorry I did not want to do anything wrong here. I am quiet new and of course I did a Research before. I also found this discussion you are referring to and several other topics in other places. Actually for a few hours already.
I just want to ask here if there's already something to use. And of course if I find something in the meantime I will also post here to help others.

So what I already did on a fresh install:

Code: Select all

apt-get install gcc-6

wget https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/main/l/linux-liquorix/linux-headers-4.11.0-11.1-liquorix-amd64_4.11-18_amd64.deb
wget https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/main/l/linux-liquorix/linux-image-4.11.0-11.1-liquorix-amd64_4.11-18_amd64.deb

dpkg -i *4.11*deb
It worked and I can also see the new Kernel but I am not sure if this is the correct way to do.

Thanks S

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

s25a wrote:of course I did a Research before
Not only lazy but a liar as well. How very charming.

Wheelerof4te

#7 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Why not just compile the actual kernel?

https://www.kernel.org/

You could learn something new :)

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

There is a good set of instructions on the Liquorix site. There is more info on their forum. There is no need for us to duplicate that.

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

Yeah, the Liquorix home page is the "first link" referred to in the thread I referenced. So much for the claim, "I found that discussion, along with several others." :roll:

VentGrey

#10 Post by VentGrey »

So much for the claim, "I found that discussion, along with several others."
Maybe the OP is asking about the installation without breaking Debian Stretch by adding third party repositories. Tho I've installed it myself in my current stretch installation and it is much more reccomended to custom-compile a low-latency kernel :mrgreen:
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

Bulkley

#11 Post by Bulkley »

VentGrey, you are right to be skeptical of third party repositories. Liquorix is one of the few third party repositories I trust. However, it is standard practise for me when I use an extra repository, even contrib and non-free, to remove it after taking what I want. It is one thing to deliberately take a package or two. It is quite something else to leave the source open to keep on giving for weeks, months, years ahead, inviting any and all sorts of unhappy surprises.

s25a

#12 Post by s25a »

Hi,

thanks a lot for all the information.
Well possible yes but I am quite new to Linux. maybe for the future :-)
Liquorix is one of the few third party repositories I trust
So do you mean it is possible to add their repository in Stretch? I thought this is not possible in Debian 8 and 9. Maybe I've misunderstand that.
For Debian 8 I used the MX-15 Repo from their side which worked quite well. (The last Kernel is this: Package: linux-headers-4.7.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64)

Thanks S

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

s25a wrote:Hi,

thanks a lot for all the information.
Well possible yes but I am quite new to Linux. maybe for the future :-)
Liquorix is one of the few third party repositories I trust
So do you mean it is possible to add their repository in Stretch? I thought this is not possible in Debian 8 and 9. Maybe I've misunderstand that.
For Debian 8 I used the MX-15 Repo from their side which worked quite well. (The last Kernel is this: Package: linux-headers-4.7.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64)

Thanks S
Your question was already answered in the second post in this thread--is there something you don't understand about it?

In short: currently it's Stretch compatible. That will change at some undetermined time in the future.

Currently I also maintain Jessie builds of the latest Liquorix: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... uorix-4.11
MX Linux packager and developer

s25a

#14 Post by s25a »

Hi,

thanks Steve - also for the answer in the Liquorix Forum.
Your question was already answered in the second post in this thread--is there something you don't understand about it?
It was a misunderstanding from my side. I thought it is not possible to use the official Repo for Stretch. But this is now clear. I installed as described gcc-6 then added the Repo, added the keyring and updated my system. I could install the Kernel and now test it.

Thanks a lot for your help and instructions

S