Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrading LUKS/LVM Debian Jessie to Stretch

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
wartisoc

Upgrading LUKS/LVM Debian Jessie to Stretch

#1 Post by wartisoc »

I'm considering on upgrading my Debian Jessie to Stretch; however, I can't help but feel a bit nervous about it, particularly since I have setup LVM with two physical volumes, each using LUKS encryption. I figure the upgrade process should take these into account but I wanted to ask before trying.

Is it safe to perform an upgrade given this configuration?.

Thanks.

GarryRicketson

Re: Upgrading LUKS/LVM Debian Jessie to Stretch

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well, you should all ways make a good backup before upgrading , with a good back up
it is safe, because you can all ways use the back up if things go wrong.
Another factor, if someone just tries to upgrade without reading any documentation,
no it is not "safe", something probably will go wrong that would not have gone wrong
if the person had read some documentation.
Easy to find use key words

Code: Select all

How to safely upgrade Debian Jessie to Debian Stretch 
Like this: How to safely upgrade Debian Jessie to Debian Stretch
The first hit, I would ignore, it does not even bother to tell the reader to make a good back up first.
However , this does:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... ading.html
4.1. Preparing for the upgrade

We suggest that before upgrading you also read the information in Chapter 5, Issues to be aware of for stretch. That chapter covers potential issues which are not directly related to the upgrade process but could still be important to know about before you begin.
4.1.1. Back up any data or configuration information

Before upgrading your system, it is strongly recommended that you make a full backup, or at least back up any data or configuration information you can't afford to lose. The upgrade tools and process are quite reliable, but a hardware failure in the middle of an upgrade could result in a severely damaged system.
If you do not back up the system, then no it is not safe to try to upgrade, things can go wrong.

wartisoc

Re: Upgrading LUKS/LVM Debian Jessie to Stretch

#3 Post by wartisoc »

That makes sense. Thanks for the links.