Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

run an Osx application in debian, is virtual machine needed?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
arincon16

run an Osx application in debian, is virtual machine needed?

#1 Post by arincon16 »

i want to run an osx apllication in linux how can i install a simple VM to do it, which is the simplest way

the specific application that i want to install is the internet telephony software called facetime tha run in ios and in OSX, is there any debian internet telephony package that can be used to connect wih facetime? anyone that uses the same communication protocols ?

dasein

Re: run an Osx application in debian, is virtual machine nee

#2 Post by dasein »

arincon16 wrote:i want to run an osx apllication in linux how can i install a simple VM to do it, which is the simplest way?
First, you need a copy of OSX.

Then you need a working VM app. (VirtualBox is among the most popular.)

Then you need only RTM. Installing a VM not only isn't rocket science, but it's insanely well-documented.

I see that you added to your post while I was typing, so the points above may or may not be valid to your amended/expanded use-case. Maybe ask about your specific application in a mac-related venue.

acewiza

#4 Post by acewiza »

Apple released earlier OSX versions free for download some time ago. I have OSX 10.11 running in Virtualbox now. The setup and configuration is not exactly straightforward, but very doable for anyone with minimal cmndline skills:

https://techsviewer.com/how-to-install- ... irtualbox/

The vboxmanage commands work the same on Linux and Windoze.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

The trouble with Internet telephony software is that most clients only talk to identical clients. If all your friends use Skype, then Skype is what you need. If all your friends use Facetime, then you need Facetime. Skype and Facetime are not compatible. The same applies across the board with a few open sourced exceptions. Fax machines used to be like that until the big customers demanded a universal standard. The producers of Internet telephony software have no incentive to move to a universal standard. The result is a pain in the neck for users.

Appologies for the rant.

arincon16

#7 Post by arincon16 »

an OSX kernel is like a linux kernel? a part of an O.S ?

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

historically the mac os is similar to gnu/linux - i think it is based on some BSD derivate, and both linux and bsd are based on unix - something like that.
consult wikipedia if you need to know exactly.

as i believe others have pointed out, some sort "wine for osx/ios" exists, but is beta at best.

but the most important argument seems to be that: why do you need to run this software, and even if you succeed, will you get the desired result.

pylkko

#9 Post by pylkko »

Mac OS and osx are certified UNIX.

There is also a free open source base called Darwin that you can just install. However, given that you need it for running a complex graphical telephony program, anything else than using a vm or an emulator is probably going to be too complicated. Some messaging programs can be used to use others, like empathy can be used to communicate with Google hang outs etc. However, I know nothing about the program that you mentioned, so you have to find out yourself

arincon16

#10 Post by arincon16 »

acewiza wrote:Apple released earlier OSX versions free for download some time ago. I have OSX 10.11 running in Virtualbox now. The setup and configuration is not exactly straightforward, but very doable for anyone with minimal cmndline skills:

https://techsviewer.com/how-to-install- ... irtualbox/

The vboxmanage commands work the same on Linux and Windoze.
i really liked your opinion and is the most important candidate for solution at this moment, but please tell me why do you sent me windows instructions, id rather prefer to install that o. s. simulator in debian , the windows command line is not my friend but debian do