Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

FOSS Post Notification

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
luguercio

FOSS Post Notification

#1 Post by luguercio »

I'm using Debian Testing up-to-date with gnome and once in a while i'm getting notifications about news posts on the site FOSS Post. I'm wondering what i could have installed that does this, but nothing comes to mind. Maybe some kind of malware does this?. I'm not really sure :?

dasein

Re: FOSS Post Notification

#2 Post by dasein »

I can certainly understand your aversion to receiving notices from "FOSS Post." The site is fact-free, poorly written, and its content looks to be mostly plagiarized from other Web sites.

But malware? Hardly.

Getting rid of the notices is going to depend on what app is displaying them in the first place, a point you neglected to address in your initial post..

luguercio

#3 Post by luguercio »

I don't know that app, as the notification just last a few seconds and dissapears, so i don't really know. It appeared 2 times, and i think that when i clicked on it, it opened the web browser. I thought that somebody would have experienced the same thing. I will be more aware next time

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, there's no way to stop the display without knowing what's behind it.

If you are deeply bothered by the notices, here's a wild thought that may or may not work. Execute:

Code: Select all

cd
grep -Ri fosspost *
This command will search every file in your home directory for any instance of "fosspost" and will display the name(s) of any file(s) containing the string. Knowing the name of the config file may get you one step closer to figuring out which app is displaying the notices.

luguercio

#5 Post by luguercio »

Thanks, but it doesn't show anything.

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

luguercio wrote:Thanks, but it doesn't show anything.
Hmmmm. That's odd.

Further thought required.

In the meantime, try to pay attention to what apps you're running when these notices appear.

pendrachken

#7 Post by pendrachken »

Sounds like either a default installed shell extension or GNOME going further braindead ( amazing how they can hit rock bottom and just keep digging) and baking stuff in by default.

Check installed shell extensions, and default RSS feeds for any type of aggregators that may be installed.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

I notice many websites on Firefox or other browsers ask if it's OK to set up notifications if I visit them. If the website is sleazy, maybe they didn't ask permission, or another sleazy site set it up. Can you recall ever going to that site?
MX Linux packager and developer

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

This question is exactly why I'd like to know what's running when the notice appears.

My first (and admittedly ham-handed) thought was that if it was something like Firefox or an RSS reader, then there would necessarily be a config file someplace with the string "fosspost" in it. No such luck. :-(

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

i bet on the browser, too.
i think it's possible (and enabled by default?) to globally allow sending notifications with newer firefox versions.

or maybe the grep would have to have been like this:

Code: Select all

grep -REi 'foss*post'

Danielsan

#11 Post by Danielsan »

dasein wrote:I can certainly understand your aversion to receiving notices from "FOSS Post." The site is fact-free, poorly written, and its content looks to be mostly plagiarized from other Web sites...

I am totally agree with you, unfortunatelly there are other blogs that use the acronyms foss and are even worst, with the pitiful level of their article they are changing the meaning of foss in something totally silly.

luguercio

#12 Post by luguercio »

i don't have any shell extension installed, maybe it's firefox, but this generally happens when i start my computer and i don't really remember if all times firefox was running. Even if it's firefox, i don't have any extension enabled and it did it anyway. So, i don't really know... :?