Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Open Source project for restaurant

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
satimis

Open Source project for restaurant

#1 Post by satimis »

Hi all,

Is there an Open Source project equivalent to following link; ?

Restaurant Order for Waiters Mobile App Source Codes For Android and iOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKl7sKnxRtc

Regards
satimis

debiman

Re: Open Source project for restaurant

#2 Post by debiman »

funny how it takes the person making the video such a long time to enter the 123456 password ... :D

also it would seem that taking an order takes actually longer than writing it on a notepad, and definitely destroys part of the experience of going to a restaurant. me, i would raise my eyebrows if a waiter whipped out a tablet/phone and started struggling with software, instead of helping me to order a good meal.
and consider if my money wasn't spent better elsewhere.

anyhow... try this:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=open+source+r ... t+software
looks like something exists.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

debiman wrote:it would seem tha taking an order takes actually longer than writing it on a notepad...
I noticed that too.

As I watched the video, I kept thinking to myself that the only folks who would hate this idea more than the patrons would be the servers. This gizmo would make taking an order wayyyyy harder than pencil-and-paper. Plus, it's easy to imagine at least a half-dozen points-of-failure unique to this approach. So, what it lacks in speed it makes up for with higher error rates.

I have no idea what the value proposition for restaurant owners is or claims to be, but a smart owner would recognize that this particular piece of gratuitous technology probably isn't going to be good for business.

/tmp

#4 Post by /tmp »

satimis wrote:Hi all,

Regards
satimis
Another option could be the route of a touch-friendly website. Using elements like jQuery, CSS, HTML5, PHP, and some form of a database you could create a similar system albeit not a traditional "app" that is directly installed on the machine. I did something similar in college when I made an interactive résumé by way of a mobile "app" website :)
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

/tmp wrote:
satimis wrote:Hi all,

Regards
satimis
Another option could be the route of a touch-friendly website. Using elements like jQuery, CSS, HTML5, PHP, and some form of a database you could create a similar system albeit not a traditional "app" that is directly installed on the machine. I did something similar in college when I made an interactive résumé by way of a mobile "app" website :)
That would be way better. If it were served on a closed LAN, the waiters could skip the logging in altogether. You could even add some place where they could send audio notes about the orders. Or maybe even have a real time voip connection open using already existing software.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

Imagine this situation:

Guest: "I'd like the 4 seasons pizza, but can you put extra bacon instead of the mushrooms? so it would be 3 seasons really... and some garlic on top?"
(this sort of request is NOT a problem in the few places i visit)
Server (after about 30 seconds of struggling with the tablet): "Sorry, I cannot enter this order... would you like to order something else instead?"
Behavior I am used to - and constantly annoyed by - in various cheap service provider call centers, usually my phone & mobile broadband provider.
Incompetent slaves of call center software.
If that means I can get my food for factory prices, I will put up with it. Otherwise, what's the point of going to a restaurant?

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

Y'er right, custom orders would be a nightmare.

But even for routine orders, the hierarchal approach they are proposing would ultimately fail. Would "surf and turf" be under Seafood or Meat? (Hint: "both" is a really bad choice that will require writing at least three additional software modules and provide even more opportunities for human error.)

I am reminded of a UI design contest I participated in some years back where the requirement was to design something really quite similar to this. All of the losing prototypes had one thing in common: hierarchical menu design.

Afterthought: Come to think of it, it'd also increase both staff turnover rate and the cost of staff turnover.

Yeah, wow, how could anyone say no to this? :mrgreen:
Last edited by dasein on 2017-08-08 05:52, edited 2 times in total.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

Code: Select all

$ sendmail cook
order#22
4 seasons,pza , include xtra shrooms 0 bacon                        
xtra garlic on top
$ mail
===========================

$ mail
Mail version 8.1.2 01/15/2001.  Type ? for help.
"/var/mail/cook": 5 messages 1 new 
    1 cook@joespizza.org    Tue Aug  8 12:45   15/452 order#18
    2  cook@joespizza.org   Tue Aug  8 12:50   15/452   order#19
    3   cook@joespizza.org   Tue Aug  8 12:55   15/452   order#20 
    4  cook@joespizza.org    Tue Aug  8 12:55   15/452   order#21 
>N  cook@joespizza.org    Tue Aug  8 12:57   15/452   order#22
===================================

& p
Message 5:
From waiter@joespizza.org Tue Aug  8 12:58 2017
Delivered-To: cook@joespizza.org