Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] OpenVPN DNS leak

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
daishun

[SOLVED] OpenVPN DNS leak

#1 Post by daishun »

My ISP IP is leaking when using OpenVPN on Debian. On Ubuntu I added the following three lines to my config file which would update the DNS resolver and prevent leaks:

Code: Select all

script-security 2
up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
However this is not working on debian. /etc/resolv.conf is showing:

Code: Select all

# Generated by NetworkManager
search Home
nameserver 192.168.1.1
I can edit this file or the file it links to (/var/run/NetworkManager/resolv.conf) and add my VPN's nameservers and the the leak will be fixed but this will be overwritten by the OS.

What is the proper and permanent way to fix a DNS leak in Debian?
Last edited by daishun on 2017-08-04 16:44, edited 3 times in total.

daishun

Re: OpenVPN DNS leak

#2 Post by daishun »

I found the answer here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenVPN#DNS

I had to install the package: openresolv

dasein

Re: OpenVPN DNS leak

#3 Post by dasein »

Welcome to the forums.

You've opened two threads now, and have successfully resolved both issues on your own within a very short time with a little research.

Good for you!! Developing your own problem-solving skills is an incredibly valuable asset in life, on the job, etc.

And thank you very much for posting back your solutions! That's helpful to everyone.

If you'll allow me to offer two suggestions

1) Next time, maybe hold off on posting the question until you have completed your research. That will eliminate the need for a forum post in many cases, and when it doesn't, a good grounding in prior research will help you ask better, more focused questions and better understand the answers you receive.

2) Please mark your threads as [SOLVED] (Edit the subject line of your initial post.)