Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Caught a hacker, in the act

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
GarryRicketson

Caught a hacker, in the act

#1 Post by GarryRicketson »

A while back, I found some really strange things occurring on my computer,
Files deleted, or moved to another directory, other times new files, with nothing but
random letters,... weird,.. I was beginning to think my computer had been compromised, and somebody was messing with me.
Turned out to be true, but in this case it was not "gremlins", today I caught the hacker
in the act...

When I had gone out of the room, he was in his cage, and the door was shut, but not "locked",..... When I came back, this is what I found.
Ok, Bryan, before you go to jail, would you please say hello to everyone:
Hello ! :mrgreen:

VentGrey

Re: Caught a hacker, in the act

#2 Post by VentGrey »

Your parrots are amazing, (Maybe they use ParrotOS since they are hackers) Do they really speak? Does the little guy there say "Don't break Debian"? :mrgreen:
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

Proving once again that a machine that isn't physically secure isn't secure at all.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

True , on the security thing,.... option, don't leave the parrot or child in the room , with
the computer , and unattended.
Keep the door locked, so no one can get in, when one is not there,... etc.
=================

Well this one is still a baby, and has not really able to talk very well,
but some of the others really do, and sometimes it is not just mimicking
or copying.
The one in the picture , say "maseca, maseca", when he is hungry, maseca is
finely ground corn, sort of like corn meal, I make a "cereal" , and use it to feed
the babies, when they get older, and can start chewing seeds, and more solid stuff,
they lose interest in the cereal,...
There is a documented study, one named Alex
Bryan , is not exactly the same specie, Alex was African Grey Amazon, however Bryan
is similar, but his kind are native to southern Mexico,..
Not just Alex, these birds are extremely intelligent,... a lot depends though on how the bird is raised, and how much one teaches them.
For now guess that is about it, I didn't really put Bryan "in jail" or punish him, it would have the same affect as it would on a young child, that starts to get interested in something, IE: the computer, the parent gets all upset and punishes the kid , the first time
they find the kid doing something with the computer,...later the same parent can not grasp why , when the child gets older , they do not want anything to do with computers.
In reverse, I try to encourage him,.. he is sitting here , right now watching everything I do.
And with tons of interest.

kedaha

#5 Post by kedaha »

Classic! :lol:
One has to keep an eye on pets because they can, as reported for instance here also chew through the power supply and other things. I once had a budgerigar called Charlie which is similar to a small parrot and it used to chew the spines of my books.
Maybe you should teach your parrot to repeat that part of Stallman's Free Software Song:
Join us now and share the software;
You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

GarryRicketson wrote: In reverse, I try to encourage him,.. he is sitting here , right now watching everything I do.
And with tons of interest.
It will be interesting to see in what way that information is processed. It may even be interesting, if possible, to watch him at work. I wonder if he has cognisance of cause and effect with regard to using the computer, i.e. that the keys not only perform functions but that pressing them causes changes on the screen related to those functions, same with the mouse. You could conduct an experiment with Libre Office in a large font or Pinta/GIMP to see if he makes a connection between the two [this is my assuming that he already doesn't know this and that he just enjoys stamping on the keys]. Just don't give him your password!

bdtc1

#7 Post by bdtc1 »

aptitude install bambam

---

And hopefully your root password is more complicated than "aaaa" !

Innovate

#8 Post by Innovate »

I'm more worried about wall lizards & peters they can go anywhere and mess with pc case fan.

Seventh

#9 Post by Seventh »

BryanBug Alpha in progress, hidden algorithm in your systemd init and only bryan knowsit! :wink:

Cool thread Garry.

deborah-and-ian

#10 Post by deborah-and-ian »

GarryRicketson wrote:today I caught the hacker
in the act...
<3
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#11 Post by None1975 »

Nice story! :D
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

Obviously the bird, like a child, needs its own limited guest account. :D Baby parrots learn how to get through life by watching their parents and imitating them, so no doubt it has been watching you and wants to figure out why you spend so much time pushing those buttons.

Watch out with leaving the birb unattended with the computer, though. When older and bored, they have been known to disassemble keyboards, or to chew through cables with fatal results to both bird and machine.

There may be something you could coat cables with to discourage this. I remember reading airports would add artificial grape flavor to any puddles on their grounds to discourage any fowl from drinking or swimming in the water; apparently to birds it tastes horrible. Conversely, they have no receptors for capsaicinoids, which make peppers "hot" to mammals. Your parrots can chow down on the hottest peppers available and ask for more.
MX Linux packager and developer

HuangLao

#13 Post by HuangLao »

Garry, this thread made my day! Thank You!

My birds have long passed, but boy do I remember the days of my wife and I coming home and playing the game "where are they". I have a picture somewhere of one parakeet standing on a bookcase next to a mickey and minnie knick-knack. :lol: Reminded me of the scene in ET when he is in the closet with the stuffed animals.

GarryRicketson

#14 Post by GarryRicketson »

Hahh, I have 1 parakeet, (budgie) as well, did have 2 , but the female died recently,... but any way, they are the hardest ones to find, he will do the same, get some where and just not move or anything, sometimes almost right in front of me. He is blue, and his favorite
"hiding spot" is on a blue towel that is hanging in the room.

debiman

#15 Post by debiman »

...isn't that a variant of the cat stress test?

also, it's cracker, not hacker :D (ducks and runs)

VentGrey

#16 Post by VentGrey »

The one in the picture , say "maseca, maseca", when he is hungry, maseca is
finely ground corn
I'm also from Mexico too XD but as far as I know "Maseca" is flour. :mrgreen:

GarryRicketson

#17 Post by GarryRicketson »

Yes, it is Corn flour, it is finer then what corn meal is,....
Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-08-08 21:47The one in the picture , say "maseca, maseca", when he is hungry, maseca is
finely ground corn, sort of like corn meal, I make a "cereal" , and use it to feed
the babies, when they get older, and can start chewing seeds, and more solid stuff,
they lose interest in the cereal,...
I guess I should have worded that different, "google translate"
is wrong :
https://translate.google.com/#es/en/har ... 0ma%C3%ADz
harina de maíz ---------- cornmeal
https://translate.google.com/#en/es/cornmeal

Here locally, I learned like Bryan is learning,...copying what others say, Spanish
is a second language, for me, English being the first, so any way, every one says Maseca,
it might not even be the same "brand name", but it is made with corn, so when they say
maseca they are referring to Corn flour,(harina de maize) like this : https://www.gruma.com/es/nuestras-marca ... aseca.aspx
Maseca está hecha de maíz 100% natural y es vital para la buena alimentación por su altísimo aporte nutricional, ya que además está fortificada con vitaminas y minerales. Es sinónimo de salud y energía.
====================
Maseca is made from 100% natural corn and is vital for good nutrition because of its high nutritional value, since it is also fortified with vitamins and minerals. It is synonymous with health and energy.

We use it for tortillas as well, now that Bryan is getting a little more mature, he is eating tortillas instead, but he still calls them "maseca",... He likes apples, and does know the difference, if he wants a apple, he says, "maseca no", and throws the tortilla on the floor,
"manzana, manzana",... if that is what he wants.
Other foods, he still has not learned to be specific, so he says "eso", and it can be hard to figure out what exactly he means. For example, I give him some Broccoli,... he asks "que es eso",.... I say broccoli, but he does not seem to be able to say that, so he says "eso",
Maybe some rice ?, "que es esso ?", "arroz", "eso,eso,eso", if he wants some, if not, "eso no , eso no"....
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-08-14 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

I guess forum members from down under are familiar with these common birds, but Australian magpies are also fun-loving clowns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4qZ_lgStw

It seems from the videos that they make good pets, and you can even let them fly free outdoors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoaEBb4IN4Q

So at least not all Australian wildlife is instant horrible death...
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#19 Post by GarryRicketson »

The video is funny, thanks, I imagine they would make fun pets,...
We have these: Chanate or Zanate
In fact before I looked it up, I thought they are related to Magpies, but I guess not.
I did have one , it fell out of it's nest and I raised it, feeding with a dropper, etc...
he never liked being inside, but also never "flew away", yes he would fly off with the others, but in the mornings and evenings, when he heard me whistle, he would come flying to me, for his breakfast or dinner,..sadly the cats got him though.
We have quite a few with nests in the trees, they never go away. I enjoy watching them play, as well as the parrots. Some times though they will fight with the parrots, but they are
scared of the Macaws, don't bother them,.. the Conrues are scared of the Chanates, and will fly to me, to get away from them,...but ever since the cats killed the one Chanate I had, like wise, I do not take the smaller parrots out very much,..and never leave them out side unattended.

VentGrey

#20 Post by VentGrey »

We use it for tortillas as well, now that Bryan is getting a little more mature, he is eating tortillas instead, but he still calls them "maseca",... He likes apples, and does know the difference, if he wants a apple, he says, "maseca no", and throws the tortilla on the floor,
"manzana, manzana",... if that is what he wants.
Other foods, he still has not learned to be specific, so he says "eso", and it can be hard to figure out what exactly he means. For example, I give him some Broccoli,... he asks "que es eso",.... I say broccoli, but he does not seem to be able to say that, so he says "eso",
Maybe some rice ?, "que es esso ?", "arroz", "eso,eso,eso", if he wants some, if not, "eso no , eso no"...

When I was younger I remember my grandmother having lots of budgies, also I remember a green parrot that my neighbor had which everytime he got angry whistled a peculiar tone that we Mexicans use when traffic is bad or then we are with friends (Idk if it is legal to post it but here it goes) https://soundcloud.com/eduardo-g-a-pale ... a-su-madre It was very funny when the parrot got angry and whistled. :lol: