Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] Upgrade from Jessie to Stretch left with kernel bug

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jbarlin4

[solved] Upgrade from Jessie to Stretch left with kernel bug

#1 Post by jbarlin4 »

Hello!

Last night, I upgraded a web server from Jessie to Stretch 9.1. Upon rebooting however, I was greeted with a kernel bug! After some late-night googling the error and kernel booting, I was able to boot using the previous kernel (3.16.0-4-amd64). I cannot log in, nor is there any network activity etc after the kernel bug (which happens immediately).

While this worked perfectly, I'd rather keep up to date, so I tried the new one again today while everyone was out of the building, and the same error occurred (this time, I got a screenshot!)
I booted back up with the old kernel, and then decided to try and get a vanilla kernel (4.12.5) and use that. After compiling and rebooting, I was landed with the same error:
It's at this point I noticed that the error line refers to ext4, and that there is a recovery boot option. Recovery boot was no help:
And using the live cd to fsck the drives yielded nothing from the check and no change to the system being able to boot using either the of the 4.x kernels

So, I've now launched again with the old kernel which is working perfectly fine, but I'd rather keep up to date. Anyone got any other ideas for me to try?
Last edited by jbarlin4 on 2017-08-11 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

Re: Upgrade from Jessie to Stretch left with kernel bug

#2 Post by Segfault »

Is this a virtual machine?

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

You could see if the same thing happens with a Liquorix kernel.
MX Linux packager and developer

jbarlin4

#4 Post by jbarlin4 »

Giving a quick status update: recompiled and re-run the 4.12.5 kernel with debug flags. I didn't grab a screenshot of the error (since the kernel was spitting out a lot of things), and it didn't appear to leave a log file. I'll try again with the debug flags and try and screenshot/screen record.

I tried looking up the line in the kernel source, but that wasn't too helpful since it was a BUG_ON line...
Segfault wrote:Is this a virtual machine?
Nope. Runs directly on the hardware.
stevepusser wrote:You could see if the same thing happens with a Liquorix kernel.
I'll try that when it's next quiet enough for me to take it offline. It would be interesting to see if that works.

jbarlin4

#5 Post by jbarlin4 »

So I stumbled across the solution accidentally, but it works nonetheless.
I created a new root partition on another disk, and rsync'd across all the files. I then updated grub and fstab to point to the new partition.

Still not sure what the original cause was (since they were reasonably new SSDs and in RAID 1), but for now I have a stable system so I'm happy :)