Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I can't browse windows shared folders.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
hack3rcon

I can't browse windows shared folders.

#1 Post by hack3rcon »

Hello.
I'm using Debian 8.9 and it is up to date. When I want to browse Windows shared folders then I got an error about "Failed to retrieve share list from server...". How can I solve it?
Thank you.

debiman

Re: I can't browse windows shared folders.

#2 Post by debiman »

...and you want us to guess how you set it all up, and where that screenshot originates from?

hack3rcon

#3 Post by hack3rcon »

debiman wrote:...and you want us to guess how you set it all up, and where that screenshot originates from?
I never setup anything and I just use my MATE Desktop menu and selected "Connect to Server..." and I got above error.

hack3rcon

#4 Post by hack3rcon »

Any idea?

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

Yeah, I have an idea: stop bumping your post.

If you'd like thousands more suggestions, Google your error message.

hack3rcon

#6 Post by hack3rcon »

I can't find any useful information. I did all of them but got same error.

pkladisios

#7 Post by pkladisios »

Although i am not entirelly certain, you can't just access windows shared folders. As debiman mentioned, you don't provide adequate information. How exactly are you trying to access your files? A quick and easy solution would be to install samba on your debian box. A samba server is capable of seeing all available linux and windows shared folders provided that you have set it up accordingly.

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

hack3rcon wrote:I can't find any useful information. I did all of them but got same error.
Then either:

- you're not following directions
- you're not actually reading what comes back
- you're lazy AND lying
- or...

hack3rcon

#9 Post by hack3rcon »

pkladisios wrote:Although i am not entirelly certain, you can't just access windows shared folders. As debiman mentioned, you don't provide adequate information. How exactly are you trying to access your files? A quick and easy solution would be to install samba on your debian box. A samba server is capable of seeing all available linux and windows shared folders provided that you have set it up accordingly.
Why I must install Samba. My Linux is not a file server and I guess the default samba tools can do it.

pkladisios

#10 Post by pkladisios »

Your computer will simply be running an additional service (samba) and, thus, will be able to communicate with all the shared folders in the network. From my point of view, when windows machines are involved, using samba is extremely conventient. I am afraid this is all i can do since you provide nothing but a vague screenshot.

hack3rcon

#11 Post by hack3rcon »

pkladisios wrote:Your computer will simply be running an additional service (samba) and, thus, will be able to communicate with all the shared folders in the network. From my point of view, when windows machines are involved, using samba is extremely conventient. I am afraid this is all i can do since you provide nothing but a vague screenshot.
Which information you need? I can browse other Windows clients in Network but when I installed WannaCry patch on Windows Server then this problem happened.

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

we've been having lots of fun with hack£rcon over at LQ, how nice of you to join us here as well!

so you still do not provide enough information, however you saved this bit:
hack3rcon wrote:when I installed WannaCry patch on Windows Server then this problem happened.
- that really would've belonged in post #1, in bold and with lots of additional information - for post #11?

hack3rcon

#13 Post by hack3rcon »

debiman wrote:we've been having lots of fun with hack£rcon over at LQ, how nice of you to join us here as well!

so you still do not provide enough information, however you saved this bit:
hack3rcon wrote:when I installed WannaCry patch on Windows Server then this problem happened.
- that really would've belonged in post #1, in bold and with lots of additional information - for post #11?
I don't like to write rude text here. Just leave me and please don't answer to my questions. If you not relax then ask admin for remove my post. You are here just for write bullshit and mock others but I know you are an ssho...and don't know anything.