Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Stretch WiFi connection issues

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
dannyboy

Debian Stretch WiFi connection issues

#1 Post by dannyboy »

I'm new to linux and have spend the last number of days trying to get the WiFi to work on Debian 9 stretch Xfce and have finally resorted to making an account to see if the friendly community has the answers. My eternal gratitude to anyone who can solve this :)

I have tried the wiki and countless guides and solutions that have worked for others but to no avail. My USB WiFi adapter is 0bda:818b Realtek Semiconductor Corp. which requires the rtl8192eu chipset driver. I believe I have the driver installed but am not certain, I tried a whole range of drivers for it incase that was the problem but none seem to do the trick.

Here is my iwconfig output:
lo no wireless extensions.

wlx0019860008b3 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"Neale"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off

enp5s0 no wireless extensions.

I have tried Network Manager and wicd and both don't connect. My WiFi shows up but no others so I assumed that it recognises it because of the ethernet connection? Though it says 37% when it is right next to the router so maybe it does not pick up other networks because it is not functioning well? When I try to connect it just shows a connecting symbol which after a while stops and is not connected.

Is it my WiFi adapter that is the problem? It says linux compatible, I have considered just buying a different WiFi adapter but am worried that will just have problems anyway.

Help will be very much appreciated,
Cheers, Dan

Edit:
Just incase further information is required to solve this, my latest attempt was with a fresh install involving the commands in the description of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUnfVG7Zst0 used with this driver from github: https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver

orythem27

Re: Debian Stretch WiFi connection issues

#2 Post by orythem27 »

dannyboy wrote:I have tried Network Manager and wicd and both don't connect.
Describe this as detailed as possible.
dannyboy wrote:wlx0019860008b3
Try disabling MAC spoofing. See http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=133597
dannyboy wrote:My USB WiFi adapter is 0bda:818b Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
The in-tree driver is pretty fragile. If the above link does not resolve the problem, search github for a patched, actively maintained driver.

dannyboy

#3 Post by dannyboy »

dannyboy wrote:I have tried Network Manager and wicd and both don't connect.
Describe this as detailed as possible.
Well I was just asked my password in Network Manager and the enter that and it tries to connect and it doesn't, I looked around for options or things to change but there isn't much. So I got loaded up wicd and gave that a quick go, I think there was some error to start then I changed to WEP and entered the password and it does the same thing as Network Manager now: shows it trying to connect for say 10 seconds then goes back to how it was.
dannyboy wrote:wlx0019860008b3
I'm trying this but I'm very new to this whole thing and I'm a bit stuck, I've added the "[device] wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no " into the file from the terminal but I don't know how to save it so I can run the changes :oops: I tried clicking the 'Terminal' tab and 'Save contents...' and then I entered the file address and tried to save but then a message pops up saying I don't have permission to overwrite.
dannyboy wrote:My USB WiFi adapter is 0bda:818b Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
The in-tree driver is pretty fragile. If the above link does not resolve the problem, search github for a patched, actively maintained driver.
I tried this one currently https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver would that be ok? Seems recent

kopper

#4 Post by kopper »

dannyboy wrote:I'm trying this but I'm very new to this whole thing and I'm a bit stuck, I've added the "[device] wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no " into the file from the terminal but I don't know how to save it so I can run the changes :oops: I tried clicking the 'Terminal' tab and 'Save contents...
If you used nano to edit the file like instructions suggest, you can save it with Ctrl + O, and Y to confirm the save. Don't forget to restart the service after save.

Code: Select all

sudo service network-manager restart
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

dannyboy

#5 Post by dannyboy »

I thought it was fixed it, that seemed to work and I finally connected and I could see other peoples wifi networks come up too and I unpluged the ethernet. I moved the computer back to my room and it no longer connected :cry: I thought it was from weak connection (only 1 room away) because the other networks still came up but now I've moved back to the ethernet room and it just says device is not ready, I've tried restarting the manager many times and checking the file was save with the added contents I don't know what happened I thought it was fixed :cry:

dannyboy

#6 Post by dannyboy »

It is working! Thankyou so much for the help its saved me so much time and stress.

In case anyone else wants know how it was fixed since my last post here is what happened. I moved the USB WiFi to a different port and it worked (note that I had previously tried unplugging and replugging the USB WiFi without that working). I then moved the computer back to my room and it then no longer worked in this new USB port. I then placed it back in the original USB port and it works again. I have not the slightest clue as to why this would work but I'm just happy that it does :)

By the way if someone knows a way of fixing this let me know because this will probably mean I'll have to change port everytime I turn the computer on. 1000x better than having no internet at all but if it can be fixed it would nice to do so.