Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Why nuvola player is not on the repository?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
n0rthlight

[SOLVED] Why nuvola player is not on the repository?

#1 Post by n0rthlight »

Hello all,

Has a Debian newbie I do wonder why a package like Nuvola player does not get on repositories. I have read the politics and reasons of Debian and It made me appreciate it more however there is sometimes package like this one I can't understand. The deb is already packaged and there is a stable version from the programmer but it is not been tested on buster or sid.

I am not ranting here, it is a real question, I am trying to keep my version clean and true with no package from external source if possible but I am curious has to why it not to even been considered by Debianers? There must be a reason I am missing.

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by n0rthlight on 2017-08-25 03:34, edited 1 time in total.

deborah-and-ian

Re: Why nuvola player is not on the repository?

#2 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Debian maintainers don't scout the Internet for software to be included. Instead, there's a process where someone usually becomes a maintainer of a certain package and uploads it. If it is cleared, it lands in Experimental, then goes to Sid and Testing. If it stay good enough, it'll land in Stable. Barring license issues or complicated dependencies, every piece of software may enter Debian and everyone may become a package maintainer if they make quality packages. A lot of the times, upstream developers will make packages and offer them on their website, but they don't really have the time to go through the process of becoming an official package maintainer and testing their package in Debian. I guess that is the case with Nuvola player. Or it could be a license issue? Or it might be using dependencies that aren't in Debian yet?
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

Wheelerof4te

#3 Post by Wheelerof4te »

This is a non-problem so I am not getting why are you asking this? Maybe there is some reason, probably a licence or devs just didn't wanna include it in Debian. But, as it says on this page:

https://tiliado.eu/nuvolaplayer/

there are versions for just about any major Linux release out there. Just as you install Google Chrome on Debian, you can install this player using provided .deb package.

n0rthlight

#4 Post by n0rthlight »

deborah-and-ian wrote:Debian maintainers don't scout the Internet for software to be included. Instead, there's a process where someone usually becomes a maintainer of a certain package and uploads it. If it is cleared, it lands in Experimental, then goes to Sid and Testing. If it stay good enough, it'll land in Stable. Barring license issues or complicated dependencies, every piece of software may enter Debian and everyone may become a package maintainer if they make quality packages. A lot of the times, upstream developers will make packages and offer them on their website, but they don't really have the time to go through the process of becoming an official package maintainer and testing their package in Debian. I guess that is the case with Nuvola player. Or it could be a license issue? Or it might be using dependencies that aren't in Debian yet?
Thank you for your clear response it clarified a lot of things for me.

The package is available for Debian 9 from Nuvola website and I would be surprised hence its popularity (Received a lot of attention from omgubuntu website) that nobody was interested to maintain it for Debian or even for Ubuntu. So it leave us with the a license issue and that would be a complete deal breaker for me.

I will do my research I ain't ready to be a package maintainer however it made me consider the need for it.

Thank you again.

deborah-and-ian

#5 Post by deborah-and-ian »

No problem. Well, the player seems to be under some sort of BSD license, so I don't think that's the issue. Your best bet is to ask the upstream developers themselves. And, if they need help packaging, you could learn that and help out. :)

https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

n0rthlight

#6 Post by n0rthlight »

Wheelerof4te wrote:This is a non-problem so I am not getting why are you asking this? Maybe there is some reason, probably a licence or devs just didn't wanna include it in Debian. But, as it says on this page:

https://tiliado.eu/nuvolaplayer/

there are versions for just about any major Linux release out there. Just as you install Google Chrome on Debian, you can install this player using provided .deb package.
I am asking to learn the reasons and functioning of Debian and because I am curious and like to know the why of things and possibly to see if at one point I could help with it.

I do understand the package is fully available for debian 9 however I trust Debian philosophy and methods and and know very little of Nuvola's. Plus other reasons officially stated here: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... nkenDebian

Thank you.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

There are a bunch of "hoops" to jump through and it is a rather complicated process to submit a package to the Debian repositories, probably the developer of this software does not want to go through all the hassle, so instead they have made various packages for the major Linux versions, and offers them on their web site.
The only one that could really answer this would be the developer, or someone involved with the development, I would ask them here :
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nuvola-player-users
If you are qualified and willing to do the work, and also maintain the package, they might be willing to "corroborate", and happy to have some one do that. You need to ask them
though.
Some times there are "bugs", and the software simply is not acceptable as well.
https://github.com/tiliado/nuvolaruntim ... own-Issues

I hadn't noticed this, when I first started writing,...
by n0rthlight » I will do my research I ain't ready to be a package maintainer however it made me consider the need for it.
The wiki, "don't break debian", is good advice,... I wouldn't install this software without
doing some research, very thorough research. Try to find other Debian users that have actually installed and used it.

deborah-and-ian

#8 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Code: Select all

apt-get install -s package
will simulate the package installation. Useful for external repos.

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

n0rthlight

#9 Post by n0rthlight »

I am grateful for the quality responses and trick provided and I will contact Nuvola in this case.

I enjoy this player however this was a general question with Nuvola player has a example and I got all the informations I needed to understand better how and why a package become Debianised. There is a ton of informations out there but I could not grasp the subject like with this example.

I thank you all for the patience explaining the process and I sure gonna try the command provided above in a very near future.