Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Saying goodbye thread

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Wheelerof4te

Saying goodbye thread

#1 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I found myself constantly lurking on these forums, and that was taking away too much of my time lately. Since I don't use social media, those have been replaced by forums. It's always good to help someone, even by providing advice online. It's a genuine feeling, one I originally signed up for. The problem is that, after some time, helpful comments turn to discussions and arguing about useless things I don't really care about.

And frankly, I don't care about the future of Debian or any other GNU/Linux distro anymore. I had my cup of coffee (I don't like tea) with them, and now I want out. Time will tell which OS will survive and which will fade into oblivion. I also want to thank developers of Debian 7 Wheezy for creating the last good GNU/Linux OS, your wonderful creation had served me well for some time. Never again will there be another one like it, and I'm sad it's gonna be EOL next year. And this will sound harsh, but someone needs to say it nevertheless. Since Ian's death, this OS has went under and it's getting worse with each new release. Without it's creator to guide Debian, I fear it won't last long in The OS Swamp with so many crocodiles. These are my honest thoughts, and I believe there are others who think the same.

So I will create the goodbye thread, seeing how many people are simply vanishing and they maybe would want to say a few words before leaving for good. I'll start with myself. It's been great, I hope you all be all right and have a successful life. Also, special thanks go to Garry, dasein, Lysander, Golinux, steve, ruffwoof, Nili, Bulkley and others with whom I have had very good discussions here.

Sayonara!
Last edited by Wheelerof4te on 2017-08-25 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

golinux

Re: Saying goodbye thread

#2 Post by golinux »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Since Ian's death, this OS has went under and it's getting worse with each new release. Without it's creator to guide Debian, I fear it won't last long in The OS Swamp with so many crocodiles. These are my honest thoughts, and I believe there are others who think the same.
Huh? Ian Murdock left the Debian project in the mid-90s! Here's a list of project leaders that followed him. No doubt they don't make them like they used to. ;)

Sorry to see you go Wheelerof4te . . .
May the FORK be with you!

Nili

#3 Post by Nili »

Sorry to see you go Wheelerof4te, Thanks for everything you did here. I was/ still i am, a fan of Wheezy too. So my train stops on Wheezy aswell. Now i'm on Devuan boat since a few months, in the near future i believe i will find myself to a BSD/based distro or anything from a distro with openrc or runit.

I wish we'll see each other on a way. Until then, good luck mate and stay healthy.

All the best!

Respectfully,
Nili
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

golinux

#4 Post by golinux »

Nili wrote:Now i'm on Devuan boat since a few months, in the near future i believe i will find myself to a BSD/based distro or anything from a distro with openrc or runit.
Are you aware that openrc is being tested on Devuan ASCII? In fact, fsmithred has some unofficial isos available for that purpose. (Apologies for the brief OT.)
May the FORK be with you!

kedaha

#5 Post by kedaha »

@Wheelerof4te Well, it's been two years since you joined and you've contributed much to these forums so I'm sorry you wish to say goodbye.
Wheelerof4te wrote:I also want to thank developers of Debian 7 Wheezy for creating the last good GNU/Linux OS, your wonderful creation had served me well for some time. Never again will there be another one like it, and I'm sad it's gonna be EOL next year.
But I was a little surprised to read this:
Wheelerof4te wrote:Since Ian's death, this OS has went under and it's getting worse with each new release. Without it's creator to guide Debian, I fear it won't last long in The OS Swamp with so many crocodiles.
What? Debian hadn't been under Ian Murdock's guidance for many years.
I disagree that "the OS" is getting worse with each new release"; in fact you said the opposite in the Debian 9 is truly a great distro:
Wheelerof4te wrote:Yes, Debian has improved much since my first installation of Wheezy back in 2014...And thus came Jessie. My old card was blazing fast on 3.16, without non-free blobs! I felt great, I was experiencing progress right then and there. Jessie was fun, and I didn't really care much about systemd right away.
Wheelerof4te wrote:Returning to the present, I find Stretch just as good, if not better than Jessie. Yeah, it had it's falls in the beginning but it has matured as all Stable versions do.
As for the crocodiles out there that are out to devour Debian they don't stand a chance, :wink:
As for not caring about the future of Debian or any GNU-Linux distro, for all its perceived faults I must again disagree since I do care about free software, which —unlike so many other crocodillian operating systems out there—respects users' freedom.
Finally, I hope you'll change your mind and stay, but if it's taking up too much of your time, just take a break from it.
Regards,
:)
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

these kind of persons,.. I can fell them inmediatly by the way the interact with others users, they take it so personaly, when things doesnt go his way they cant get it and they confront it, I'd say they are some unstable characters below breaking down, you dont need any social media (i dont have it, its against my values), and you dont need any forum to replace that empty, you just need a good family and some nice friends.. Computers are not a good company, but i understand there are much people who does not have it easy.

I like forums in which you can just interact, but i like to take it all with some humor. So i like offtopic and come here in mode troll or ironic sometimes, just to have a good time. :mrgreen:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

deborah-and-ian

#7 Post by deborah-and-ian »

golinux wrote: Huh? Ian Murdock left the Debian project in the mid-90s! Here's a list of project leaders that followed him. No doubt they don't make them like they used to. ;)

Sorry to see you go Wheelerof4te . . .
Yeah, I'm glad to see he used facts to guide his decisions. :lol:

But no hard feelings. Take care and all the best!
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

Nili

#8 Post by Nili »

golinux wrote:Are you aware that openrc is being tested on Devuan ASCII? In fact, fsmithred has some unofficial isos available for that purpose. (Apologies for the brief OT.)
Thanks, I am already aware of that, afterall i read almost every thread/new on dev1.dev1galaxy regularly.
Of course I will do some check an appropriate time for me. Thanks again for making me know.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

kedaha

#9 Post by kedaha »

Wheelof4te wrote:Without it's creator to guide Debian, I fear it won't last long in The OS Swamp with so many crocodiles.
bester69 wrote:I like forums in which you can just interact, but i like to take it all with some humor. So i like offtopic and come here in mode troll or ironic sometimes, just to have a good time. :mrgreen:
But watch out for the crocodiles! There are so many lurking in the OS Swamp. :shock:
DebianStable

$ vrms

acewiza

#10 Post by acewiza »

Wheelerof4te wrote:And frankly, I don't care about the future of Debian or any other GNU/Linux distro anymore.
Sounds like good a reason as any to just stick around and have some fun. Honestly can't say I ever "cared" about a distro, one way or the other, myself. The Linux ecosystem is a meritocracy where the good always get better, and the not-so-good, well, they are at the mercy of ruthless techies like you and me who really could not possibly care less what happens with them.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

debiman

#11 Post by debiman »

somebody likes grand & dramatical gestures.
meh.

GarryRicketson

#12 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well, hope everything works out, and this forum will still be here, any time you decide to
return. Good luck.

--------------------------
NEW toys are Fun
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-08-28 15:02, edited 4 times in total.

Lysander

#13 Post by Lysander »

I know that goodbye threads are frowned upon in many forums, but it's good that you took the time to explain the reasons for your departure. Or at the very least the reasons for your disgruntlement should you decide to return - which, by the sound of things, does not seem like a good idea for you.

I enjoyed your contributions, the advice you gave and the respect you offered to other posters. I think members like you make the forums a better place. All the best for where you go from here.

VentGrey

#14 Post by VentGrey »

Without it's creator to guide Debian, I fear it won't last long in The OS Swamp with so many crocodiles.

I don't think Debian would have a problem 8)
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#15 Post by oswaldkelso »

VentGrey wrote:
Without it's creator to guide Debian, I fear it won't last long in The OS Swamp with so many crocodiles.

I don't think Debian would have a problem 8)
I can't make out if that "Debian thing" has conceived and has a wee little Devuan growing n side it or just been shot! :mrgreen:
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

kedaha

#16 Post by kedaha »

Wheelof4te wrote:Without it's creator to guide Debian, I fear it won't last long in The OS Swamp with so many crocodiles.
For those who fear Debian won't last long in the croc-infested OS Swamp, there's always Slackware, which is still guided by its creator.
Lead on the Benevolent_dictator_for_life!
Lead on? Wouldn't the concept of personal guidance be contrary to Ian Murdock's own criterion for the success of Debian?
Yea and I was in school and basically at that point we had a thriving community. We had infrastructure, we had lots of users. And my final test as to whether or not Debian succeeded was: could the founder step away from the project and could the project keep going because that is the only point at which you know that the project has basically taken a life of its own.
Quoted here.
DebianStable

$ vrms

deborah-and-ian

#17 Post by deborah-and-ian »

kedaha, that's too many facts and it's not aggressive enough! Isn't it more interesting to spill bile and end times scenarios of Red Hat conspiracies, Lennart Poettering raping our sisters, Arch Linux shoving DRM videos up our cavities and systemd trying to smother our toasters? Without the guidance of the mythical guru Ian, Debian is turning to crap. And by mythical Ian, I don't mean the real historical person and all the real things he said that can be found online, I mean this reactionary conspiracy theory version of him that apparently stepped down when Wheezy went EOL (thanks Wheeler for this "information"). All that's left to do is to leave the sinking ship and go to Slackware... Well, that's not enough. Let's all just go into our nuclear basements and build Linux from Scratch with the software snapshot of before systemd, PulseAudio or even Red Hat were conceived in someone's mind. I might still have a working CD ROM of Ygdrasil Linux somewhere. See you in 30 years. Gear up on weapons, you'll need them against Lennart Skynet.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

VentGrey

#18 Post by VentGrey »

I can't make out if that "Debian thing" has conceived and has a wee little Devuan growing n side it or just been shot! :mrgreen:
Kids, this is how derivative babies are made :D
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

HuangLao

#19 Post by HuangLao »

deborah-and-ian wrote:kedaha, that's too many facts and it's not aggressive enough! Isn't it more interesting to spill bile and end times scenarios of Red Hat conspiracies, Lennart Poettering raping our sisters, Arch Linux shoving DRM videos up our cavities and systemd trying to smother our toasters? Without the guidance of the mythical guru Ian, Debian is turning to crap. And by mythical Ian, I don't mean the real historical person and all the real things he said that can be found online, I mean this reactionary conspiracy theory version of him that apparently stepped down when Wheezy went EOL (thanks Wheeler for this "information"). All that's left to do is to leave the sinking ship and go to Slackware... Well, that's not enough. Let's all just go into our nuclear basements and build Linux from Scratch with the software snapshot of before systemd, PulseAudio or even Red Hat were conceived in someone's mind. I might still have a working CD ROM of Ygdrasil Linux somewhere. See you in 30 years. Gear up on weapons, you'll need them against Lennart Skynet.
You might not be aware of this, however, there was a time when Ian approached Patrick V. regarding merging Debian and Slackware projects together. It almost happened. Now I need to find the interview to post a reference.

Edit: Found it.... https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2750

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#20 Post by 4D696B65 »

HuangLao wrote: You might not be aware of this, however, there was a time when Ian approached Patrick V. regarding merging Debian and Slackware projects together.
Ian approached Patrick?
Ian Murdock (of the Debian distribution) and I have tossed around the idea of a merger since last fall.