Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Removing dependencies?!?!?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jsosic

Removing dependencies?!?!?

#1 Post by jsosic »

Hi guys.

I'm running Debian on my router box, and I've encountered one problem. I use Gentoo as my desktop machine, and I'm satisfied with it, but it would be boring to run same distro on second box too...

So, hypotetichally, this is a problem.

Code: Select all

# apt-get install package1
So, that action installs package1, but also package1-dep1, package1-dep2, package1-dep3 and majordep1. "majordep1" is let's say dependency of some other package too, while package1-dep* are deps of package1 only.

So after a while, I realize I really don't need package1.

Code: Select all

# apt-get remove package1
But the dependencies stay installed and waste my diskspace. How to get rid of them? In gentoo, there's emerge --depclean, and what about Debian?

Thank you.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Do apt-get install deborphan, then run orphaner at the console prompt. orphaner will remove those libraries that are not required by any of the applications installed on your computer.

lacek

#3 Post by lacek »

I don't think there is a tool with you can do it in Debian. You can use the 'deborphan' package to check which libs (and programs) are 'orphaned' (they are packages on which no other ones depend) and purge them.

pigah

#4 Post by pigah »

get the package deborphan, then run the command orphaner. It will give you a list of all the libraries that don't depend on otheres. if you run orphaner -a it will also include executables. don't automatically remove all the programs as you may need some.

lacek

#5 Post by lacek »

Wow, 3 replies came almost simultaneously :-D

jsosic

#6 Post by jsosic »

Well shame that deb package manager can't do that although it has full reverse dependencies support. But, I've noticed that app called "aptitude" can remove dependencies... I've tested it with "synaptic" package, wich on my system has a long list of deps, and it worked quite nicely. So I guess I'm stuck with it...