Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Booting into blind mode

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Deb_Noob

Booting into blind mode

#1 Post by Deb_Noob »

Hello. I Installed Debian 9.1.0 with the amd64 processor architecture using a USB flash drive and Etcher to "burn" the iso onto the flash drive.
The installation went perfectly fine but when i try to boot into Debian after a successful install i get the following error.

Loading Linux 4.9.0-3-amd64...
Loading initial ramdisk...
error: no suitable video mode found.
Booting in blind mode

Then it gets stuck on this screen.
I tried reinstalling and tried using UNetbootin instead of Etcher and I still get the same error.
All i could find about blind mode is people having problems with the installer itself booting into blind mode so if anyone could help that would be great! :D

EDIT: I am using a AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GPU
Last edited by Deb_Noob on 2017-08-27 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Booting into blind mode

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Since it seems related to video, what video hardware the machine has seems relevant.
MX Linux packager and developer

Deb_Noob

#3 Post by Deb_Noob »

I am using the AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

No doubt it needs the non-free firmware package, "firmware-amd-graphics". This comes up about every other day here.

Can you get into a terminal from the blank screen with <Alt><Ctl><F1>?

If not, you can install from a Debian ISO that includes the non-free firmware. Debian doesn't have this in the standard install because of a commitment to free software.

Deb_Noob

#5 Post by Deb_Noob »

I cannot get into a terminal from the blind mode screen but i can press C to get into grub with minimal BASH-like line editing. I can also get into ash through the advance install on the flash drive, but I do not think this is what you were asking me. Where could i find the ISO with non-free firmware?

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

You know...it should be among the first results in any good search engine...