Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Print Screen (Fn + Prt Sc) not Working with GIMP

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
broadsworde

Print Screen (Fn + Prt Sc) not Working with GIMP

#1 Post by broadsworde »

When I take a screen shot, using Fn + Prt Sc I get the proper sound effect, and the image shows up in Shotwell, but when I try to paste (as paste is enabled/active) it into GIMP, it says: "There is no image data in the clipboard to paste". Has anyone else had the same problem?

ticojohn

Re: Print Screen (Fn + Prt Sc) not Working with GIMP

#2 Post by ticojohn »

I don't know what version of Debian you are using but in Jessie, and the XFCE desktop environment, under the Applications menu you can find Accessories -> Screenshot. With that application you have the option of taking a shot of the entire screen, the active window, or a specific area and can then either save to a file or paste to the clipboard.

I don't know with certainty, but assume that Screenshot is available to install in most desktop environments.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

broadsworde

#3 Post by broadsworde »

Thanks for that.
I'm using Stretch (fully updated) with Gnome 3.22.2.
I did just find out that there are some keyboard settings under: All Settings > Keyboard > Screenshots
It seems to actually copy the screen print into clipboard you need to use Ctrl + Fn + Prt Sc, or to copy a window, Ctrl + Alt + Fn + Prt Sc

I have to say Ubuntu was somewhat simpler, just a Fn + Prt Sc and the image would be copied into the clipboard and you would also be prompted to save the file in a location of your choice.

broadsworde

#4 Post by broadsworde »

Mind you, even though I can now capture a screen into the clipboard, an image is still saved in ~/Pictures as well, and how you change that default folder I still don't know.
If any one does, I would be very interested in and appreciative of your wisdom.

deborah-and-ian

#5 Post by deborah-and-ian »

I don't think you can change that, as that's how Gnome intends it to work. What you can do though is install a more complex screenshot tool (shutter, scrot,...) and map it to the Print Screen Key in the Gnome settings.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless