Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

/home folder encryption: post install

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
user2635

/home folder encryption: post install

#1 Post by user2635 »

Hi all, some of you may be familiar with Ubuntu's install process.

As part of the setup, you can select to encrypt your home folder seamlessly using the pwd you picked for you user account.

Is there a way I can do this similarly on Debian? If there isn't, I will be happy with just general direction to encrypt home folder.
phil the linux newbie
debian 9 stable since aug 2017
please teach me linux :)

Doggybag

Re: /home folder encryption: post install

#2 Post by Doggybag »

The short answer is yes, there is. Here's a guide:

https://xo.tc/setting-up-full-disk-encr ... retch.html

That's for wiping the whole disk and installing debian as the only os, but the procedure is similar for a multi-os system.

EDIT: Could you clarify whether you want to encrypt at install time (with the installer), or post install? That guide is for at install time.

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

I don't bother to encrypt my home partition because there's nothing worth encrypting. But I do use KeePass2 to store all my passwords.
It isn't necessary to reinstall to encrypt the home partition.
I think it'd be enough, if necessary, just to encrypt certain directories, which can be done with ecryptfs-utils; for example, see this old link: encrypt-directory-in-linux.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

user2635

#4 Post by user2635 »

Doggybag wrote:The short answer is yes, there is. Here's a guide:

https://xo.tc/setting-up-full-disk-encr ... retch.html

That's for wiping the whole disk and installing debian as the only os, but the procedure is similar for a multi-os system.

EDIT: Could you clarify whether you want to encrypt at install time (with the installer), or post install? That guide is for at install time.
Hi doggybag, I put in the subject but probably isn't clear enough. I need instructions to do it post install, thanks!
phil the linux newbie

user2635

#5 Post by user2635 »

kedaha wrote:I don't bother to encrypt my home partition because there's nothing worth encrypting. But I do use KeePass2 to store all my passwords.
It isn't necessary to reinstall to encrypt the home partition.
I think it'd be enough, if necessary, just to encrypt certain directories, which can be done with ecryptfs-utils; for example, see this old link: encrypt-directory-in-linux.
Thanks for the find, I will read it later on today!
phil the linux newbie

Doggybag

#6 Post by Doggybag »

Ecryptfs is probably the best way to go in that case (though there are others). This tutorial is basically the same but slightly cleaner and also includes instructions for putting the keyfile on a usb stick, if you want that extra step:
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how ... on-debian/