Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need help to install slowmovideo.

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Coline

Need help to install slowmovideo.

#1 Post by Coline »

Hello guys.

I want to install the software "slowmovideo", but it's not in the repositories. Honestly, I tried a lot of things (compiling, using the DEB, etc.) but I didn't manage to install it. What is the cleanest way to install this software on Debian Stretch ? Thanks you.

http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/

highContrast

Re: Need help to install slowmovideo.

#2 Post by highContrast »

Out of curiosity I downloaded the amd64 packages and I tryed a simulated install dpkg --dry-run -i slowmoVideo_0.2.4-1_ubuntu10.04_amd64.deb
I got no message, as if it were fine. However when I checked the info (dpkg -I) I saw a lot of dependencies:

Code: Select all

Depends: freeglut3,libaudio2,libavcodec53,libavformat53,libavutil51,libbz2-1.0,libc6,libdrm2,libexpat1,libffi6,libfontconfig1,libfreetype6,libgcc1,
libgl1-mesa-glx,libglapi-mesa,libglew1.5,libglib2.0-0,libglu1-mesa,libgsm1,libice6,libjpeg62,libogg0,
liborc-0.4-0,libpcre3,libpng12-0,libqt4-script,libqt4-xml,libqtcore4,libqtgui4,libschroedinger-1.0-0,
libsm6,libspeex1,libstdc++6,libswscale2,libtheora0,libuuid1,libva1,
libvorbis0a,libvorbisenc2,libvpx0,libx11-6,libxau6,libxcb1,libxdamage1,libxdmcp6,libxext6,libxfixes3,
libxi6,libxrender1,libxt6,libxxf86vm1,nvidia-cg-toolkit,zlib1g      

I didn't check all of them, but I noticed that libswscale2 is not in the repositories and I saw an nvidia dependency. I had a lot of pain in the past with nvidia dependencies, however nvidia-cg-toolkit is not installed by default, but it is available in the repo, so it might be all right.
Anyway I think that either you rebuild with make or you install with dpkg you'll have to first sort out the dependencies which might imply other dependencies and eventually end in a screw up.
I don't know how much time you can dedicate to it and how important is your current installation but what I would do is trying first to install on a virtual machine installing all the dependencies before running dpkg.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Be warned that Ubuntu packages can break your Debian.

Coline

#5 Post by Coline »

Thanks you for being so preventive ! ^^

It's the exact purpose which leads me here. I love Debian, I love to not have problems or if I have one, it's always the same.^^

So, I guess I should not install this software. It worked well on Jessie.

Thanks you for the test.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Sixteenth-level Google-fu ( "slowmovideo in Stretch") revealed that it's in the deb-multimedia repository. Since this repo has caused countless headaches in the past if added to your sources, I would just download the single deb and try to install it with apt or gdebi. Yes, apt can now install standalone debs and pull in any missing dependencies, like gdebi.

https://debian.pkgs.org/9/multimedia-ma ... 6.deb.html

I'll also see about adding it to my own multimedia repo, which is not going to cause the kind of issues that DMO can.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127574
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

maybe you can succeed better with the github releases?
https://github.com/slowmoVideo/slowmoVideo/releases
judging by the version numbers, they're much newer.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

I ported over the slowmovideo from deb-multimedia to my own "Hah!" repo. I test installed the deb in a Stretch virtual machine, and it had no issues installing or running. Though I have a newer ffmpeg in that repo, apparently the 3.2.7 now in Stretch is enough to fulfill the dependencies. I'll look at the github releases next...nope, 0.5 is what I have, and that's the latest release.

Coline

#9 Post by Coline »

I used dpkg -i on the DEB you have linked (but with AMD64).
It worked very well.

But to be honest, I am a little worried to install a package like that. I don't know if it's really safe. However, everything work pretty well, this software is simple and it manages to produce good results.

Your work is really awesome with your own repo ! Didn't know you can do that. :/

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

Coline wrote:I used dpkg -i on the DEB you have linked (but with AMD64).
It worked very well.

But to be honest, I am a little worried to install a package like that. I don't know if it's really safe. However, everything work pretty well, this software is simple and it manages to produce good results.

Your work is really awesome with your own repo ! Didn't know you can do that. :/
Well, it helps to know what you're doing with backporting applications, but the OBS is free, simple to get an account registered, and I wrote a guide to use it for simple backports/ports in the HOWTO section here. The OBS web interface has a lot of buttons and knobs one can push, so it has a learning curve.

I built from the original slowmovideo source, so it should be as "safe" as any other version of that program. The OBS spins up a Debian virtual machine from scratch for every package build, which guarantees it's not built on anything but pure Debian and is compatible as possible.