Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wine-Staging/OpenGL Issues

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
AmblestonDack

Wine-Staging/OpenGL Issues

#1 Post by AmblestonDack »

Hi guys,

Need some help with an issue I have with Wine-Staging/OpenGL. I have an Nvidia GeForce GT 630 graphics card installed with Nvidia driver 375.82 installed on Debian Buster. I am running Wine Staging 2.15 and when I run World of Warcraft it says the following error: -
err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
I run glxgears and I see the gears with no issues, so I am assuming that OpenGL is working OK. I've asked on the wine forum and they say its an OpenGL GFX card issue, but I have no idea where to start.

Any help really appreciated.

EmyrB

stevepusser

Re: Wine-Staging/OpenGL Issues

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I'm surprised the Wine forum didn't suggest the following solution right off--it's not like it isn't the most common issue on 64-bit with wine gaming!

Are you running a 32-bit wine-staging on a 64-bit Debian? This is very common for Win apps in wine; Steam games also present the exact same issue and have the same solution, which is to enable multiarch for i386 and install the :i386 (32-bit) versions of whatever openGL libraries your proprietary driver provides:

Code: Select all

apt install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
glxgears is also a poor way to check if your openGL is working--it seems to work just fine, even if your openGL is totally broken and it has to fall back on software rendering. Plus it doesn't check rendering for 32-bit apps, just 64-bit for a 64-bit system. There's a better one in a package called "virtualgl", which is the glxspheres or glxspheres64 benchmark, but virtualgl is unfortunately not in Debian--I had to port the package over myself for the MX Linux repo.
MX Linux packager and developer

AmblestonDack

#3 Post by AmblestonDack »

Thanks for the reply stevepusser.
stevepusser wrote:I'm surprised the Wine forum didn't suggest the following solution right off--it's not like it isn't the most common issue on 64-bit with wine gaming!
They helped me install the libgl.so.1:i386 package and when that didn't solve the issue, they suggested I ask here.
Are you running a 32-bit wine-staging on a 64-bit Debian?
Yes.
apt install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
When I try and install the above I get the following: -

The following additional packages will be installed:
  libnvidia-glcore:i386
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libgl1-glvnd-nvidia-glx libgl1-glvnd-nvidia-glx:i386 libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 libnvidia-glcore:i386
Should I be removing the above nvidia packages?

Cheers

Ambleston

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm...obviously the wiki needs to be updated for Stretch. I don't really know what will happen if the Vulkan (vlnd) libraries are replaced on Stretch with the Mesa equivalents. I do know doing that worked fine on my Jessie-based system and the Nvidia driver 375.66 version, though. It looks like you will also have to manually install your Mesa 64-bit libgl1-ndivia-glx package, too. You could try an experiment after backing up your system, though...or maybe somebody else that's solved the issue will chime in. You can't be the only one that's encountered this. Maybe WOW just doesn't support Vulkan? Can you run any other 32-bit 3D game in Wine, such as Space Engine? (free, and that's all I have in Wine)

I'm helping with the preliminary development of the Stretch-based MX 17, though, and no doubt will face the issue myself on my Optimus system, so will try to find an answer. We have a tool to install the Nvida closed drivers that may have to be changed to account for the Vulkan GLX packages.
MX Linux packager and developer

AmblestonDack

#5 Post by AmblestonDack »

Strange thing is, that WoW was working fine until I updated it to patch 7.3. My son is also running WoW through Wine Staging and his install worked with no hitch, but then he's running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. At least now I know why they asked me to come here and ask.

AmblestonDack

#6 Post by AmblestonDack »

Installed SpaceEngine and that fails to load as well with

err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo  couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address (nil) (thread 003a), starting debugger...