Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GTK YouTube Viewer in Q4OS?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
RogerRoger

#1 Post by RogerRoger »

I am running Q4OS 1.8.7, which uses Debian 8 Jessie, and would like to install gtk-youtube-viewer (webpage: https://github.com/trizen/youtube-viewer). There is no Debian package by default, so I need to install from source. I have never installed software from source before, and am clueless about what to do, or even where to download the source from. I'm not the most experienced Linux user, and have virtually no idea what I'm looking at while on the GitHub page. If someone could give me dumbed-down instructions to install this tool, I would really appreciate it. (FYI: I have tried minitube already; it doesn't do what I need or want it to do.)

GarryRicketson

Re: GTK YouTube Viewer in Q4OS?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Did you try this:
How to install a package from source on Debian
First hit:
https://wiki.debian.org/BuildingTutorial

And did you even try to read some of what it has on the Git Hub site:

https://github.com/trizen/youtube-viewe ... /README.md
INSTALLATION

To install youtube-viewer, run:

perl Build.PL
sudo ./Build installdeps
sudo ./Build install

To install gtk-youtube-viewer along with youtube-viewer, run:

perl Build.PL --gtk
sudo ./Build installdeps
sudo ./Build install
All it really is is a perl script, down load it and follow the very straight forward instructions, if you have problems with it , the author has provided a means to ask or report the problems:
https://github.com/trizen/youtube-viewer/issues

Post by RogerRoger » 2017-09-04 19:50
I am running Q4OS 1.8.7, which uses Debian 8 Jessie,
I kind of missed this,... I don't know what "Q4OS" is , and don't feel
like searching on that as well, but if it is not Debian, then maybe better to ask at
a Q4OS forum,..
In relation to Debian, before doing anything you should read this as well:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

=== edited ===
I did do a search, Q4OS is NOT debian, at all, it is a mixture of all sorts of things :
As reported recently, we have made several significant modifications in Q4OS Orion to be ready for installation under other Debian based operating systems, so anyone is now enabled to gain Q4OS Orion based on Ubuntu as well as Devuan.
@OP, you really would be better off asking them on the q4os forum, it is NOT debian, and they are the only ones that will know exactly what you may need to do. If it has "perl" , then you shouldn't have any problem running the scripts shown at git hub, but honestly , this is the last place I would ask for help, it has nothing to do with Debian.

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

Q4OS IS actually Debian with the Trinity Desktop Environment, although the devs have created other versions (Ubuntu/Devuan). But I do agree with Garry that the Q4OS Forum would be a much better place to ask your questions, asking them here will likely result in more of the same type of comments from other users.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

Q4OS IS actually Debian
?

Debian is Debian. Q4OS might be a derivative, So are MANY others.

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

Like I said, Q4OS IS Debian with the Trinity Desktop, it is not PURE Debian obviously but I don't expect the purist Debianites to accept that...

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

In any event, the instructions for installing this "YouTube Viewer"
are quite clear , on the git hub site.
There is the read me file, and also 2 binaries , it appears to all be
Perl, so as long as the OP has perl and any needed modules installed
there shouldn't be any problem installing it.
And if they do have any problems, or need additional details , the author
provides this: https://github.com/trizen/youtube-viewer/issues
The instructions are clear:
https://github.com/trizen/youtube-viewe ... /README.md
by RogerRoger »If someone could give me dumbed-down instructions to install this tool
The author has provided very good instructions, I am not sure what is meant by "dumped-down".
by RogerRoger »or even where to download the source from.
Again, that is very clear :
https://github.com/trizen/youtube-viewe ... master/bin
by RogerRoger » I'm not the most experienced Linux user, and have virtually no idea what I'm looking at while on the GitHub page.
This indicates that maybe it is not a good idea to be even thinking about
doing this , until later when you understand a little more, some knowledge
on using "perl" would help, to install perl :

Code: Select all

apt-get install perl

Of course if any one wants to try to explain every little detail, etc, please
feel free to do so.
Maybe Stevepusser will package this for the OP, and make a package that
can be installed on Debian,..??

RogerRoger

#7 Post by RogerRoger »

Thank you all for your responses.
Based on the comments you gave, I finally figured out what I needed to do, or rather, what I was doing wrong. Simply opening a terminal and running the install instructions listed in the README file did not work; I realized that I had to download the entire Git directory as a .zip, extract it, and run the listed commands within the extracted folder. First time ever using GitHub; thanks for bearing with me.
Since the topic came up, I would like to clarify that Q4OS is in fact derived from Debian (it is listed as based upon the "Stable" branch at http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=q4os).
Thanks to everyone in the community who weighed in on this topic.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well, so are linux mint, ubuntu, and who knows how many other distros,
(derivatives)
But after all said and done, none of them are the original, Debian.
And most use their own repositories.
why are the other Linux distros not Debian, even though they are based on Debian
==================
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ng.en.html
3.2 But what about Knoppix, Linux Mint Debian Edition, Ubuntu, and others?

They are not Debian; they are Debian based. Though there are many similarities and commonalities between them, there are also crucial differences.

All these distributions have their own merits and are suited to some specific set of users. For more information, read Software distributions based on Debian available at the Debian website.
"and others" would include q4os.
There are a few people that would like to see this forum change , and be a
general Linux forum, or general Debian based distros, including Kali, q40s, ubuntu, linux mint etc,.... but that would be another topic.
In the mean time it is still " Debian User Forums".
However, discussion of other distros, problems with them, etc is fine in the "off topic" forum.

deborah-and-ian

#9 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Debian with a bitrotting desktop compiled from a 3rd party is not Debian anymore. Sorry. Apart from that, this question could have easily been answered by looking through the repositories. Any decent video player can open Youtube video adresses just like any local video. MPV, Totem, MPlayer, VLC... Youtube-dl can download the videos. Those programmes can do the same to many other video sites btw.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

RogerRoger

#10 Post by RogerRoger »

Thanks for the tip, GarryRicketson. I'll be taking questions like this to the "off-topic" forum from now on. :)
GarryRicketson wrote:Well, so are linux mint, ubuntu, and who knows how many other distros,
(derivatives)
But after all said and done, none of them are the original, Debian.
And most use their own repositories.
why are the other Linux distros not Debian, even though they are based on Debian
==================
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ng.en.html
3.2 But what about Knoppix, Linux Mint Debian Edition, Ubuntu, and others?

They are not Debian; they are Debian based. Though there are many similarities and commonalities between them, there are also crucial differences.

All these distributions have their own merits and are suited to some specific set of users. For more information, read Software distributions based on Debian available at the Debian website.
"and others" would include q4os.
There are a few people that would like to see this forum change , and be a
general Linux forum, or general Debian based distros, including Kali, q40s, ubuntu, linux mint etc,.... but that would be another topic.
In the mean time it is still " Debian User Forums".
However, discussion of other distros, problems with them, etc is fine in the "off topic" forum.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Exactly what do you need your viewer to do that minitube doesn't?

I know that at least three applications in my multimedia repo handle Youtube video search, view, and a couple of them can also download the video: SMTube, QMplay2, and Kodi with an easily installable addon. Youtube-dl-gui and ClipGrab just download video from there and many other sites via the URLs.

I have Jessie and Stretch packages for these. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127574

Youtube-viewer-antix may be a fork of GTK Youtube Viewer; at least they both are Perl programs...don't know why the packager switched it to binary-arch instead of "all" arch, though--Perl is arch-independent: http://iso.mxrepo.com/antix/jessie/pool ... wer-antix/
MX Linux packager and developer

RogerRoger

#12 Post by RogerRoger »

stevepusser I am working with an old computer with limited graphics, RAM and CPU capabilities; I was hoping to install a lightweight desktop client for the viewing, downloading, and overall general surfing of YouTube without a full-blown browser. GTK YouTube Viewer offers a very helpful drop-down menu for choosing a resolution that won't overpower my machine; if I open a video URL in VLC or SMPlayer, it automatically selects the maximum quality available, which I'm certain would brick my desktop and require a force quit. Minitube is out of the question as well.
stevepusser wrote:Exactly what do you need your viewer to do that minitube doesn't?

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

It sounds like SMTube is what you want. The version in my repo is a lot newer than what's in the Jessie repo...Youtube is constantly changing their API to prevent outside viewers and downloaders from working, so I don't know if the Jessie version even works anymore. SMTube has the option to set the default resolution, and uses an external media player to show the video, so you can pick the one that gives you the best performance.

Didn't minitube remove the option to download video years ago? Maybe you tried an olde version. Anyway, if I have SMTube open a video with a download manager like Uget instead of a media player, that downloads the video. The developer treads a bit lightly here, since Google doesn't want users to be able to download the video.

QMPlay2 has the same options, but downloads and keeps current the youtube-dl script to do the download work. It also just plays the video itself instead of using an external player.

RogerRoger

#14 Post by RogerRoger »

stevepusser Thanks for the info. I tested QMplay2, and it works great. :D

bester69

#15 Post by bester69 »

RogerRoger wrote:stevepusser Thanks for the info. I tested QMplay2, and it works great. :D
I tried some kind of thoses youtube viewers solutions in the past, and even used minitube for a while, and finally the most usefull solution its to use mpv (gnome-mpv) or vlc, with support drag&drop youtube links. Im using drag&drop with gnome-mpv to watch youtube videos in a more conveniently way. that using the flash embeded. The funny thing is that i discovered drag&drop was supported recentlly. :lol:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

debiman

#16 Post by debiman »

RogerRoger, with youtube constantly changing it's api, you need software that keeps up with it.
imo, the only one right now is youtube-dl.
it does not have a fancy interface or search capabilites, but some software (notably mpv) is able to integrate it.
it has a '-U' (=update itself) command line option. use it whenever you run into weird errors.

PS: plus one for Q4OS. should i ever need to install linux for a windows user on an old machine, it will be q4os.

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough that the current version of QMPlay2 downloads and keeps current youtube-dl for its download "engine". Youtube-dlg (youtube download GUI) also does the same thing, but you have to manually keep abreast of updates to youtube-dl.

All the kerfluffle about Q4OS not being a true Debian is beside the point, IMO. The OP should just have said they are looking for a Jessie-compatible packages.

bester69

#18 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:Maybe I didn't make it clear enough that the current version of QMPlay2 downloads and keeps current youtube-dl for its download "engine". Youtube-dlg (youtube download GUI) also does the same thing, but you have to manually keep abreast of updates to youtube-dl.

All the kerfluffle about Q4OS not being a true Debian is beside the point, IMO. The OP should just have said they are looking for a Jessie-compatible packages.
Ive been using mpv for so long without any problem with youtube, so i dont see that problem happening since two years or so. Dont see the point for using thoses tinny players, when we can use vlc,mpv, kodi or totem to watch youtube videos.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

"Tinny"? I didn't add any tin when I built the packages. :D

Anyway, don't knock QMPlay2 if you don't know anything about it. It can do a whole lot more than just play and download Youtube videos, a heck of a lot more.

debiman

#20 Post by debiman »

stevepusser wrote:Maybe I didn't make it clear enough that the current version of QMPlay2 downloads and keeps current youtube-dl for its download "engine". Youtube-dlg (youtube download GUI) also does the same thing, but you have to manually keep abreast of updates to youtube-dl.
+2 to that then!
All the kerfluffle about Q4OS not being a true Debian is beside the point, IMO.
and another one to that!