Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[RESOLVED] Chromium Issue

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ticojohn

[RESOLVED] Chromium Issue

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I am running Jessie with XFCE desktop. Normally I use Firefox-ESR but there is one particular website for which I use Chromium. I have noticed that the first time I launch Chromium that Chromium takes a really long time to load (around 10 seconds). I tried launching from a terminal, and it launches much faster (less than one second), but I get a some interesting errors that I do not understand.

Code: Select all

john@JohnBoy:~$ chromium &
[1] 3712
john@JohnBoy:~$ [3712:3738:0831/153228.681372:ERROR:nss_util.cc(808)] After loading Root Certs, loaded==false: NSS error code: -8018
[3757:3757:0831/153228.746725:ERROR:child_thread_impl.cc(762)] Request for unknown Channel-associated interface: ui::mojom::GpuMain
What I have done, which doesn't eliminate these errors but makes it so I don't have to see them, is to create a desktop launcher.

Code: Select all

#! /bin/sh
chromium &
exit
So now I can just click on the icon and launch. No delay in loading.

I presume that something is missing in the installation, or maybe there is a keyring issue (I have the Gnome Keyring enabled). Can someone give me a hint as to what is causing the errors?
Last edited by ticojohn on 2017-09-05 13:10, edited 2 times in total.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

ticojohn

Re: Chromium Issue

#2 Post by ticojohn »

UPDATE: It appears that all of the ssl certificates are marked as untrusted! Why would that be? How do I update them? Guess I need to do a little more searching.

Tried to set TLS to max 1.2, as suggested in another post. Doesn't solve the issue. Still hoping for some feedback here!

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

Solved the issue. Got rid of Chromium!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by None1975 »

ticojohn wrote:Solved the issue.
How?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

None1975 wrote:
ticojohn wrote:Solved the issue.
How?
Guess I shouldn't say solved the Chromium issue. I solved MY issues with Chromium by getting rid of it. So I will change SOLVED to RESOLVED.

The apparent problems are reported in many different forums. I have tried some of the suggestions, such as changing TLS maximum to TLS2, but that doesn't fix it. The issue seems to be with the ca-certificates which, when I look at them in Firefox, have an expiration date of 2014 but are also marked as PERMANENT. Chromium does not appear to want to accept them. Not much I can do. The Chromium developers are apparently aware of the issue.

ticojohn

Re: [RESOLVED] Chromium Issue

#6 Post by ticojohn »

To those that are going to cry foul:

I would like to further clarify my reasons for marking this RESOLVED and for removing Chromium.

As I stated earlier, there appears to be some issue with Chromium accepting the ca-certificates that are acceptable in Firefox. If Chromium is not accepting the certificates then how can I be assured that I am able to safely browse the web, and even further, how can I be assured that I have a safe connection to a secure site? The best choice, in my opinion, is to not use that browser. Therefore I removed Chromium thereby resolving any security concerns.

UPDATE: I tried Chromium on Stretch amd64 and do NOT see the same issue. So, it is either a 32 bit Chromium issue or a 32 bit Jessie issue. I do not have Jessie amd64 available to test.