Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Leafpad - font changes revert back to Monospace 12- SOLVED!

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
tedrogers

Leafpad - font changes revert back to Monospace 12- SOLVED!

#1 Post by tedrogers »

Hi,

Changing fonts through Leafpad preferences for normal user works while Leafpad is open, but once I close it reverts to Monospace 12.

Changing the same when Leafpad is opened via term and root is the same.

If I edit the Leafpad preference file (.config/Leafpad) via root term and change the font, save etc., then the changes persist, but only for root user.

This has no effect on normal user which is still Monospace 12!

How can I change the font permanently?

I want Noto Mono 10 in Leafpad for all users..

I have changed fonts everywhere in LXDE Debian Stretch to the Noto Sans family, in line with my wishes, but this has no effect on Leafpad font.

My normal user is already in sudoer file.

Can someone advise? It's driving me batty.

Thanks.
Last edited by tedrogers on 2017-09-05 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

tedrogers

Re: Leafpad - font changes revert back to Monospace 12

#2 Post by tedrogers »

wizard10000 wrote:DO NOT edit leafpad's config in your home directory as root - the resulting breakage will make you sad :)
That's exactly what I think I've been doing, but I always reverted the changes. I'll try what you suggest later on. Thanks.

tedrogers

#3 Post by tedrogers »

Interesting that when I try to cd into the .config folder in my home I get permission denied!

It must be a permissions problem then. I'll have a good go at this later when my 2 year old isn't climbing on me!

tedrogers

#4 Post by tedrogers »

wizard10000 wrote:Just for the heck of it the easy way to fix would be to make sure all the files in your home directory are owned by you like this - as root:

Code: Select all

chown -R username:username /home/username
That should reset file ownership to where it should be and you should be able to configure leafpad using your normal user account.
Just to let you know...it was an ownership issue. Performed the chown as suggested, and now can edit fonts within Leafpad for normal user (no config editing needed) and the changes stick.

Don't quite understand how there were ownership issues...the install is only 2 days old and is virtually 'ISO fresh'.

Thanks anyway. Your help = awesome.

bryanmc

#5 Post by bryanmc »

tedrogers wrote: Don't quite understand how there were ownership issues...the install is only 2 days old and is virtually 'ISO fresh'.
If I was going to guess, you initially edited the config in your home directory as root....

tedrogers

#6 Post by tedrogers »

wizard10000 wrote:Or better yet, not running graphical applications as root unless we absolutely have to
That is good advice. Thanks.

I've come from Ubuntu, started getting too heavy for my T500 laptop. So I've come to Debian which isn't a bridge too far, but it is different.

The main advantages I'm finding are that my cmd knowledge is improving massively...e.g. having to dpkg instead of using gdebi, for example. Adding my normal user to the sudoers etc.

I'm running LXDE now and have it quite nice so far, but there are still other tweaks to do. Right now, there doesn't seem to be a way to edit menu entries, so I'm guessing menulibre. Anyway, that is for another thread.

tedrogers

#7 Post by tedrogers »

bryanmc wrote:
tedrogers wrote: Don't quite understand how there were ownership issues...the install is only 2 days old and is virtually 'ISO fresh'.
If I was going to guess, you initially edited the config in your home directory as root....
Well, to be honest, it was probably (definitely) something I did!

I've been rooting around everywhere (pun intended!), been places I wouldn't normally have been (bashrc editing for $PATH, for example) as part of my efforts to get a Python 3 linter-flake8 working...you get the idea. I'm basically digging. and learning.

Even managed to get Quicktile working, because I missed the window snapping from other distributions. Quite please I managed that.

Now if only I could properly configure my Lenovo UltraNav! Damn thing, so slow. I think I'll start a thread about that now actually.

Thanks.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

tedrogers wrote:...e.g. having to dpkg instead of using gdebi,...
You can use apt to install local packages now and it will resolve dependencies as gdebi does whereas dpkg doesn't. eg.

# apt install ./package.deb
cd to directory containing package first.

And as you like "rooting around everywhere", I suggest you do a full system backup when it's in a working state so you can restore when you stuff it all up. See my sig. ;)
Last edited by sunrat on 2017-09-05 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

tedrogers

#9 Post by tedrogers »

sunrat wrote:
tedrogers wrote:...e.g. having to dpkg instead of using gdebi,...
You can use apt to install local packages now and it will resolve dependencies as gdebi does whereas dpkg doesn't. eg.

# apt install package.deb
And as you like "rooting around everywhere", I suggest you do a full system backup when it's in a working state so you can restore when you stuff it all up. See my sig. ;)
I was just going to use partimage to be honest...haven't investigated your sig yet.

My system is dual boot Xubuntu and Debian LXDE, with a 70gb 'fluff and stuff' NTFS partition for dumping vitals!

stevepusser

Re: Leafpad - font changes revert back to Monospace 12- SOLV

#10 Post by stevepusser »

If you're used to gdebi, you can install and use it just like in Ubuntu.

I've found that installing debs with apt is a little different from dpkg in that you either have to give the full path of the deb file(s), or if your terminal is in the same folder, you can precede it with a "./". Apt can also install multiple debs at once, even if they depend on another, and pull in missing dependencies at the same time, something gdebi can't do. So to install all i386 debs in a folder at once:

# apt install ./*i386.deb
I want to see if I can get a custom action in Thunar to install debs that way if they are right-clicked.
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Leafpad - font changes revert back to Monospace 12- SOLV

#11 Post by sunrat »

stevepusser wrote:I've found that installing debs with apt is a little different from dpkg in that you either have to give the full path of the deb file(s), or if your terminal is in the same folder, you can precede it with a "./".
I think I did that instinctively when I used it, didn't know it is required. Will edit my last post.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

bryanmc

#12 Post by bryanmc »

tedrogers wrote:My system is dual boot Xubuntu and Debian LXDE, with a 70gb 'fluff and stuff' NTFS partition for dumping vitals!
Rather than hold your backup on the same metal, invest in a usb hd or thumb drive and use clonezilla. That way you system is protected from both you AND hardware gremlins. :lol: