Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Panda PAU05 WIFI Dongle Issues

Need help with peripherals or devices?
sync

Panda PAU05 WIFI Dongle Issues

#1 Post by sync »

So I am having an issue with my Panda PAU05 WIFI Dongle and Debian 9.1.

The dongle works great on Mint and Ubuntu. No issues installing or after install.

When I try to install Debian 9.1 without firmware, the system sees the Dongle but it cannot seem to scan for WIFI signals. When I install with the firmware it scans and connects perfectly and I can install the system. However, when I boot the intsalled system, I can see WIFI signals but when I try to connect it times out. I forget the dmesg (had to reinstall Ubuntu) but it drops right after authentication.

So I am assuming it is loading a driver that is messed up, but I have no idea how to fix it after endless searching.

This is my dongle listed in lsusb:

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 148f:5372 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5372 Wireless Adapter
Thanks for any clues.

Thorny

Re: Panda PAU05 WIFI Dongle Issues

#2 Post by Thorny »

sync wrote:So I am having an issue with my Panda PAU05 WIFI Dongle and Debian 9.1.
So I am assuming it is loading a driver that is messed up, but I have no idea how to fix it after endless searching.
Thanks for any clues.
Did you consider asking for support at the site that supplied the dongle? It seems to me they are likely to know quite a bit about their hardware and they state it will work in Debian. Perhaps they can assist you in figuring out how to fix the issue. It appears support comes with the purchase.

This is from their website:
Well Supported
If, by some insane chance, it doesn't work right out the box, we have a great support team standing by to give you a hand and make sure you're completely satisfied - all complimentary with your purchase!

sync

#3 Post by sync »

Yes, I asked them. And they could not help anymore than "install our driver". Which misses the issue I am having and confused about.

The Dongle works FINE with the non-free firmware install. But when it does not connect to wifi after the system is installed.

It also works perfectly in Ubuntu, Mine, Arch Linux, etc.

I want to use Debian, and I do not want to have to depend on building a driver which I do not know how to do well enough.

shep

#4 Post by shep »

Although the firmware is installed and your wireless device is ready to use, the install ssid and security keys need to be re-entered in the new install.
How to do that is here. There are many options.

sync

#5 Post by sync »

shep wrote:Although the firmware is installed and your wireless device is ready to use, the install ssid and security keys need to be re-entered in the new install.
How to do that is here. There are many options.
That is so off base I do not even know what to say...

You think I do not know how to log on to a wifi network?

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Use inxi in those other distros to find out what driver it's using and what kernels they have:

inxi -N
uname -r
as well as in Debian. Very probably they have different kernels, and the driver is very probably part of the kernel.

You can also find out more info about the driver in each distro with (as sysadmin):

modinfo <driver>
Maybe plugging it in and then running "dmesg" (now requires sysadmin in Stretch) would show some errors when the system tries to enable the device...
MX Linux packager and developer

shep

#7 Post by shep »

When I install with the firmware it scans and connects perfectly and I can install the system. However, when I boot the intsalled system, I can see WIFI signals but when I try to connect it times out
If it times out it ain't connecting.
That is so off base I do not even know what to say...

You think I do not know how to log on to a wifi network?
If the usb dongle works in Ubuntu and during a Debian install, it is not the device. It has to be your network configuration and if that reality is beneath your dignity then tell us what else could it be?

It used to be said that Ubuntu was an ancient African word for "Slackware too hard". You're working on redefining Ubuntu as "Reading Debian documentation is too hard".