Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

wine on debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
fmp

wine on debian

#1 Post by fmp »

i've been using debian as my daily driver for several months now and so far, photoshop is the only thing i miss.

for seasoned debian users, is it worth installing wine for one program?
if not, what are the cons/hassles opposed to sticking it out with gimp/inkscape?

gimp doesn't seem to be able to parse typical psd's from photoshop.
for example - a simple layered website mockup appeared jumbled. not sure if i'm missing a plugin, perhaps; or if this is common (searches on the web for this vague-sounding issue yield little help - i'm not sure specifically what to query that would give more targeted results)

does this sound familiar to anyone? can anyone clue me in on what i could be missing, to make gimp more photoshop-esque?

aplistir

Re: wine on debian

#2 Post by aplistir »

fmp wrote:i've been using debian as my daily driver for several months now and so far, photoshop is the only thing i miss.
for seasoned debian users, is it worth installing wine for one program?
if not, what are the cons/hassles opposed to sticking it out with gimp/inkscape?
gimp doesn't seem to be able to parse typical psd's from photoshop.
for example - a simple layered website mockup appeared jumbled. not sure if i'm missing a plugin, perhaps; or if this is common (searches on the web for this vague-sounding issue yield little help - i'm not sure specifically what to query that would give more targeted results)
does this sound familiar to anyone? can anyone clue me in on what i could be missing, to make gimp more photoshop-esque?
That is what wine is made for. Running those windows programs, you really need. Some programs work really well, but not all.
I used to use photoshop in wine. Worked well, but it was an older version of photpshop.
Here is a link, which tells how well different versions of photoshop work in wine:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... pplication

Gimp is quite different from protoshop. Most people, who have mastered photoshop will have difficulty in switching to gimp.
Personally I have switched to Krita, which is a really good (and free) photoshop like program. And it is available in linux and it has been also ported to windows.

aplistir

#3 Post by aplistir »

One option is to run full windows seamlessly in virtualbox.
That way you can use any windows program without compatibility issues. the only drawback is that it is a bit slower.

fmp

#4 Post by fmp »

aplistir wrote: Personally I have switched to Krita, which is a really good (and free) photoshop like program. And it is available in linux and it has been also ported to windows.
haven't heard of Krita until now; just downloaded. wow, this looks excellent!

i tried a random layered psd and it loaded flawlessly.

a virtualbox with something as clunky as photoshop wouldn't work for me. it takes forever to get going as it is. going to give krita a spin, definitely looks promising as a ps replacement!