Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Configuring boot loader for restricting specific firmware

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ashikuzzaman.ar

Configuring boot loader for restricting specific firmware

#1 Post by ashikuzzaman.ar »

Hello there,
I'm currently using Debian 9 on my Asus X441UA laptop and facing some problem. For your good concern I'm a new Debian user.
I have installed Debian with Gnome DE and facing some missing firmware problems. Though it's showing that some firmwares are missing but it's still functioning well for wifi, lan and bluetooth drivers. I have asked about that in this topic http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=134620. However I don't want to install any non-free firmwares because it's functioning well. There have a little problem though. When I'm trying to connect to new wifi connection then it freezes for several seconds and after then it's functioning well.
I had another problem about PCIE BUS error and I found this solution helpful https://askubuntu.com/a/771908.
Currently my main problem is boot loader. Wen I booting my laptop then it's showing some error/warning in boot console and freezes for a long time, generally Debian or Ubuntu should not take. As far I guess system recursively tries to load that firmwares and that takes a lot of time. How can fix this problem? Is there any way to stop trying to load that unavailable firmwares? Is it really mandatory to install some non-free firmwares if the drivers are still functioning? How to solve the freezing problem wile connecting new wifi connections? Is that PCIE BUS error configuration did something for this problem? Please give me advice to deal with this problem.

This image shows you the boot loader console, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B81hnw ... sp=sharing. Sorry for providing some external link because I'm failed to attach image with this post.

Thank you very much in advance.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Configuring boot loader for restricting specific firmwar

#2 Post by oswaldkelso »

Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

your post is very confusing.
please take some time to formulate a technical question.
right now it seems you are mixing at least 2 different things together, and while you're strong on the narrative, there isn't much hard info in it.

looking at your screenshot, right under the red text it says what you should do.
that would be a good starting point.

ashikuzzaman.ar

#4 Post by ashikuzzaman.ar »

debiman wrote:your post is very confusing.
please take some time to formulate a technical question.
right now it seems you are mixing at least 2 different things together, and while you're strong on the narrative, there isn't much hard info in it.

looking at your screenshot, right under the red text it says what you should do.
that would be a good starting point.

Thank you very much for your reply. I just wanted to say that my screen freezes for a long time while system boots. That picture I linked was taken by a mobile camera when my system was frozen. It generally takes 2-5 minutes and after that the login screen appears and so on. I just want to solve this time consumption in boot time. If it causes for hardware firmwares then how to make them not loaded at boot time?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Try the scientific method. You can temporarily install the appropriate firmware package to see if indeed that solves your boot problem. If not, you will have to determine the real cause of your issue.

It's the driver that looks for non-free firmware, not the boot loader. The loader is just getting it from the driver. The only solution that I can think of is to switch out your hardware so you don't need non-free firmware, otherwise just grin and accept it...unless you can find an alternative source of open firmware for your particular hardware. Oh, yeah, the rtl8723be...lots of posts here and on the Net for that one. Good luck!

PS. Any of the "outside" drivers you find for Realtek and almost every other wi-fi devices will also install non-free firmware with the driver install. Debian just strips it out of the kernel driver and put it in a separate package. I do have a "n" Atheros AR5B125: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros_AR5B125 I took out of a broken laptop that is one of the very few that don't require nonfree firmware. Did I put it into my new laptop to replace the "ac" one that requires non-free firmware? No.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2017-09-10 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ashikuzzaman.ar wrote:This image shows you the boot loader console, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B81hnw ... sp=sharing.
The errors are from systemd rather than the bootloader and it does offer some very specific advice:
systemd wrote:

Code: Select all

See 'systemctl status networking.service' for details.
Did you not think to try this?

Other output that may be useful:

Code: Select all

systemd-analyze blame
systemd-analyze critical-chain
# journalctl -u networking.service
The last command needs to be run as root, hence the "#" symbol :wink:
deadbang