Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I'm trying to get a DVD burned with the new Debian.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
jbander

I'm trying to get a DVD burned with the new Debian.

#1 Post by jbander »

I've created a half dozen frisbees. I have no problem burning other distros . What's your thoughts on updating 8.8 to 9 with a very unstable 8.8 on my hard drive. Is there anything that has come up about a problem like this? Any thought would be appreciated.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: I'm trying to get a DVD burned with the new Debian.

#2 Post by Hallvor »

What do you mean with "unstable" 8.8?
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

jbander

#3 Post by jbander »

Hallvor wrote:What do you mean with "unstable" 8.8?
It locks up and freezes

RU55EL

#4 Post by RU55EL »

jbander wrote:[...] What's your thoughts on updating 8.8 to 9 with a very unstable 8.8 on my hard drive. Is there anything that has come up about a problem like this?[...]
jbander wrote:
Hallvor wrote:What do you mean with "unstable" 8.8?
It locks up and freezes
Without any idea why you are having problems with the Debian 8.8 installtion, I would recommend a clean installation. (After backing up your data, of course.)

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Any thought would be appreciated.
Any information on how you are creating these frisbees would also be appreciated. This is so we don't suggest something you are already doing.

You also failed to give any information on how you know they are frisbees. Does your computer just fail to see them as a bootable device? Can you see the section of the DVD that was burned as a different color? Have you checked the hash sum of your downloaded ISO to make sure it was good?

All these come up in any web search for your type of problem, and the forum guidelines say you are expected to do that first, and then report what happened when you tried the solutions before asking any questions here.
MX Linux packager and developer

jbander

#6 Post by jbander »

Have you looked at the Debian installation reference here for installing Debian. I have burned 7 operating system in the last two weeks, no trouble with any of them.Plus I'm working on my own flavor and thats been burned 22 times now All good Except every Debian, both live and regular. I'm using the command line to burn these DVD's. Well one it couldn't even register, nothing came up. 2 or 3 times the burned DVD would give me a couple of lines of download and then stop, No error message. I got one to load but nothing worked on it , Nothing. There was a few more but I can't remember. They were frisbees.
Now I understand if you don't want to reply, I'm seeing this hard line on other forums also. You must understand though that if we could find out what we need to know , there would then be no need for a forums.Answer if you want or not.

RU55EL

#7 Post by RU55EL »

jbander wrote:Have you looked at the Debian installation reference here for installing Debian. I have burned 7 operating system in the last two weeks, no trouble with any of them.
How did you burn them? What software and method did you use? Exactly which version of Debian did you attempt to burn to DVD? If your hardware allows, have you tried installing from a USB flashdrive?
jbander wrote:Well one it couldn't even register, nothing came up. 2 or 3 times the burned DVD would give me a couple of lines of download and then stop, No error message.
What exactly do you mean when you say that "it couldn't even register"? Again, what software are you using? There are many ways to burn an ISO to DVD, if you want help, don't make us guess. You need to explain what you tried and what happened in detail. Saying that you tried to burn an ISO to disc and it didn't work isn't enough information.
jbander wrote:Now I understand if you don't want to reply, I'm seeing this hard line on other forums also. You must understand though that if we could find out what we need to know , there would then be no need for a forums.Answer if you want or not.
If you are installing your own operating system, you are expected to understand how to operate a computer. You are also expected to be able to look for instructions and follow them to get what you want done with your computer. Granted, it is not all black and white, but without knowing what you are doing with what software and what is going wrong, there is really no way to help. I don't believe there is anyone here that is going to play 20 questions with you to help you figure out why you can't burn an operating system ISO to a DVD. You need to explain in detail what you are doing, how you are doing it, and with what software, then exactly what is happening, and why you think is it wrong.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

jbander > I'm using the command line to burn these DVD's
Well that is nice , are you using this command ? :

Code: Select all

wodim -eject -tao  speed=2 dev=/dev/sr1 -v -data myiso.iso 

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr1=myiso.iso 
Or is it this one ?

growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -r -J /path/to/files 
Or maybe you are doing this:

growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=1 -Z /dev/dvd \
         -r -J -hide-rr-moved -V "Backup `date +"%d %B %Y"`" \
         -x /home/andrew/source -publisher "Andrew Strong" \
         -graft-points "my_files/=/home/andrew" "configuration_files/=/etc" \
         "cron_files/=/var/spool/cron/crontabs" 
If you are not willing to give clear details as to how you are trying to do this,
exactly what command you are using , etc. how do you expect anyone to be able to answer ?

If course , you do need to have a functioning system in order to burn a DVD or CD, if the system is not working right, :
Postby jbander » 2017-09-11 12:17

Hallvor wrote:
What do you mean with "unstable" 8.8?

It locks up and freezes
Then it probably would not burn the DVD correctly. You need to get the system working properly, or use another system to burn the DVD's
Postby RU55EL »I would recommend a clean installation. (After backing up your data, of course.)
==== edited ====
jbander >Now I understand if you don't want to reply, I'm seeing this hard line on other forums also. You must understand though that if we could find out what we need to know , there would then be no need for a forums.Answer if you want or not.
It is not that people don't want to reply, you don't seem to understand people
need clear details in order to give any kind of clear answer.

Segfault

#9 Post by Segfault »

I know this is not on topic, but why bother with DVDs? Get netinstall, put it on USB and install away. Never failed on me. If you have internet connection, that is.

jbander

#10 Post by jbander »

I'm done, RU55EL you're arguing about things that I already told you. The point is you're just arguing. I'll finish my comment "I'm seeing this hard line on other forums also. You must understand though that if we could find out what we need to know , there would then be no need for a forums.Answer if you want or not." Many of these groups have been taken over by a arrogant group of hostel people , this being one of them. You're not trying to help, this is just giving you a chance to be a ass hole and for some for some reason you find that to be important. You don't have to respond, I know the response already, it's all my fault you're just here to help the little people.

MALsPa

#11 Post by MALsPa »

Maybe just post the command that you tried to use, jbander.

RU55EL

#12 Post by RU55EL »

jbander wrote:I'm done, RU55EL you're arguing about things that I already told you. The point is you're just arguing.
I'm simply telling you that we need more information to help you.
jbander wrote:I'll finish my comment "I'm seeing this hard line on other forums also. You must understand though that if we could find out what we need to know , there would then be no need for a forums.Answer if you want or not."
I'm telling you that to understand your computer problem there is more we need to know. That way we can tell you what you need to know to overcome the problem.
jbander wrote:Many of these groups have been taken over by a arrogant group of hostel people , this being one of them. You're not trying to help, this is just giving you a chance to be a ass hole and for some for some reason you find that to be important.
I'm sorry that you perceive me as arrogant and hostile. That is not my intent.
jbander wrote:You don't have to respond, I know the response already, it's all my fault you're just here to help the little people.
Hey, I'm not pointing any fingers, or assigning any blame. I hope you figure out the Disc problem, or have better luck with a USB flash drive. Debian is an excellent operating system. I hope you get a chance to enjoy it. Best of luck to you.

(post script)
I'm one of the little people. I've got a long way to go before I move beyond being a Debian novice.

Wheelerof4te

#13 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I was lurking for a while now and seeing these kinds of threads makes me think that people are indeed beyond redemption. They are only trying to help you, OP, chill out.

Your intent is to upgrade to Debian 9, right? Here are the things you need to tell us:

1. What's your DE (GNOME, KDE, Xfce, whatever...)
2. Which software are you using to burn DVDs? Brasero, some CLI tool, as Garry recommended?
3. Do you have (1GB will suffice) an USB stick? Good, no need for making frisbees, then. Use network install .iso.

Anyway, if all else fails, try upgrading to Debian 8.9 first, then to 9.

Bye.

Thorny

#14 Post by Thorny »

jbander wrote:I've created a half dozen frisbees. I have no problem burning other distros .
Thank you for the report.
jbander wrote:What's your thoughts on updating 8.8 to 9 with a very unstable 8.8 on my hard drive.
I would not try to upgrade to a newer version until I had successfully upgraded to the latest point release of the current system, in this case 8.9. I believe upgrading the current system first has always been the best practice advice. In addition, I would not expect an upgrade to necessarily correct any instability in a current system, which might even be due to a hardware fault.
jbander wrote:Is there anything that has come up about a problem like this?
I Don't know. I don't have enough data to make a reasonable guess at what the problem is. If it is about trouble burning install DVDs then, yes, I believe there are threads about that.
jbander wrote:Any thought would be appreciated.
Well, you stated this but it appears that you don't like some of the thoughts shared. It also appears that you respond agressively when you don't like someone's thoughts. I can't understand how acting that way will increase the number of people willing to help you.

Dai_trying

#15 Post by Dai_trying »

@OP
Have you tried booting into a live-cd and writing your dvd from there?

I would never be able to rely on a system that was "unstable" to do such delicate operations as writing iso images.

jbander

#16 Post by jbander »

I've have used Linux since Ubuntu 1010, you're Responding with questions that I've explained clearly , or asking me multiple times what program I used to try to burn the cd, I burned them from the command line . How do I respond to this------ Well that is nice , are you using this command ? :
CODE: SELECT ALL
wodim -eject -tao speed=2 dev=/dev/sr1 -v -data myiso.iso

CODE: SELECT ALL
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr1=myiso.iso

This is two different command line commands to do the same thing Burn a ISO. Not one.
You want to run this forum like this, fine. You thinking that you're just the good guys answering me with a long line of things that I could have included and not any possible solutions. Follow the logic, I've burned what 30 copies of either my distro I'm working on or a half dozen Distros to look at. with zero problem, but I can't burn one copy of debian that works, something that I made clear. My logical question "Is there anything that has come up about a problem like this" Then You telling me I have to know myself and giving me a ridiculous scenario on what is expected of me before you will honor me with you great knowledge.
I know how these forums work ,I've been around, tell me how responses, like the ones you gave me, would help someone new to Linux. This is the installation section of this forum.
I expected you people to twist your pointer to me, fine. I'm telling you that with this approach, you will change anyones excitement about getting into linux. Your wrong people. Maybe take a closer look at the sequence in this thread, it may become a little more clear to you what I'm talking about.

golinux

#17 Post by golinux »

1. How about posting your sources.list for starts.

2. Did you check the hash sum of the download (asked before and unanswered)?
May the FORK be with you!

Wheelerof4te

#18 Post by Wheelerof4te »

jbander wrote:This is two different command line commands to do the same thing Burn a ISO. Not one.
How about telling us which command did YOU use, then?
jbander wrote: but I can't burn one copy of debian that works, something that I made clear.
You didn't tell us how you did it. Or how you didn't. Nor what was the error. You also didn't answer any of our questions, didn't implement any of proposed solutions. I can go on, but why bother?
jbander wrote:tell me how responses, like the ones you gave me, would help someone new to Linux. This is the installation section of this forum.
They would have helped if you actually took your sweet time and read them.

Post your sources.list. I come back here and still see these troll threads, smh. Really?

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

And the refusal to let us know how he's creating the ISO ("on the command line" is ridiculous, get serious) or any other information that's easy to provide and not an invasion of privacy is making this user impossible to help. I'm starting to get the whiff of troll here. If you don't want to provide anything we can use to help, but instead whine about how you're being mistreated and boast how long you've been using Ubunutu, fine. Here's some sand. Go pound it.

Disclosure: I am not currently part of a hosteling organization, but in the past was a very active member of American Youth Hostels and its successor, Hosteling International.
MX Linux packager and developer

jbander

#20 Post by jbander »

You people are a gas, at this point I really don't care what any off you think. I went out of my way to let you know why you're obnoxious only after a good dose of bullshit from some of the hot dogs there. Tell me how your response would have helped some poor newbie who's first problem they had is installation.and doesn't have clue what any one of the language of linux insiders is even about. do something about it or blow it off and pat yourself on the back and say it is all me that's the problem . I really don't give a crap.