Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

best photo management suite (like faststone on windows)

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
akrueger

best photo management suite (like faststone on windows)

#1 Post by akrueger »

what are your suggestions for a photo management suite on Debian?

I am photographing a lot, mostly I need to do this to my pictures, in decreasing priority

* quickly(!) sort, delete, move
sometimes after quickly zooming in, to judge whether in/out of focus
* batch rename (e.g put 20190909-235644_ as prefix, date taken from EXIF)
* 90degrees turn
* batch resize & reduce quality (to send photos by email: 2.7MB --> 300kb)
* overpaint details, e.g. car reg numbers, etc.
* water marking
* removing EXIF information

The software should start up quickly, and be responsive, and fast, and need few clicks for each task.

The best such tool that I know is Faststone on windows.

What are my choices on Linux?

I could not find a Debian installation manual on http://photoqt.org/down/ , and the ubuntu repo results in: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/lumas/photoqt/ubuntu artful Release' does not have a Release file. Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default..

Some of the above tasks could be commandline automated relatively easily, I suppose. I'd also be thankful for hints for that.

But I definitely also do need a point and click suite, with thumbnail view, and multiple selection / batch processing.

Thanks a lot!

stevepusser

Re: best photo management suite (like faststone on windows)

#2 Post by stevepusser »

It's usually a very bad idea to add any PPA to Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
MX Linux packager and developer

fmp

#3 Post by fmp »

all of these sound like things photoshop is capable of.
Krita was mentioned in a thread I made today about gimp/photoshop: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=134619
It may be a suitable replacement for you, too.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Are you sure about Krita? :?: I would have thought Digikam would be more suited than Krita.

pendrachken

#5 Post by pendrachken »

You could always try Darktable, it's a clone of Lightroom. I poked it a few times in my VM, the adjustments to the few RAWs I imported into it looked just fine. The slider controls where a tad harder to use than Lightroom though. Other than that, it should be able to do most if not all of what you want.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

people tend to forget that gnu/linux is an IDE, also for photos.
some use gthumb; it has loads of plugins i think, but a bit too heavy for me.
i've been using geeqie for a long while now.
it's old, but it does the job (about 80% of op's "feature request") and where it doesn't, why, i can always define a custom shortcut to open an external application: gimp, gprename,...

i often have geeqie on one desktop, gimp on the other, do basic stuff in geeqie, and switch to gimp when editing is required.

camera raw preview is even supported, and then ufraw as external app to convert to other formats.

not saying geeqie is the only or even the best, but that's how it goes: configurability, not feature-completeness.

akrueger

#7 Post by akrueger »

Thanks a lot for all those great hints. I have installed them all now: geeqie, digikam, gthumb, krita, darktable.

Will try them out.
At first sight digikam looks most similar to faststone.
gthumb and geeqie load faster, so probably better as "Preferred application" for "Photos"?
darktable creates *.JPG.xmp everywhere which I don't like - but it looks pretty powerful.
Impressed how fast krita is loading, I might replace my gimp usage with krita?

Thanks a lot!

akrueger

#8 Post by akrueger »

stevepusser wrote:It's usually a very bad idea to add any PPA to Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
thx.
any idea how to install photoqt then?

akrueger

#9 Post by akrueger »

There is a flaw in the digikam.desktop file, I could not make it "Preferred application" for "Photos" until in
/usr/share/applications/org.kde.digikam.desktop I had extended
MimeType=x-content/image-dcf;x-content/image-picturecd;
with
image/jpeg;image/jpg;image/jp2;image/png;image/tiff

Or is that wrong? It is not opening the specific image yet.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

akrueger wrote:There is a flaw in the digikam.desktop file, I could not make it "Preferred application" for "Photos" until in
/usr/share/applications/org.kde.digikam.desktop I had extended
MimeType=x-content/image-dcf;x-content/image-picturecd;
with
image/jpeg;image/jpg;image/jp2;image/png;image/tiff

Or is that wrong? It is not opening the specific image yet.
Yeah...usually if you are running the KDE desktop, the associations just work, but you can also set them in dolphin file manager or the KDE systemsettings application.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

akrueger wrote:
stevepusser wrote:It's usually a very bad idea to add any PPA to Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
thx.
any idea how to install photoqt then?
Let me see if I can port it over to my multimedia repo, I already have at least one image editor in there: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127574

BTW, you can also get the latest Krita in a distro-agnostic AppImage package.

Photo viewers and editors are something where, along with music players, Linux perhaps has too many choices.

Many of those aren't in even in Debian, like XnViewMP, top result here: https://alternativeto.net/software/fast ... form=linux Fotoxx is in Debian, but I think I'll roll the latest version into my repo, too.

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

I also left out another possibility--many here don't like Wine or closed-source software, but Faststone 6.3 seems to run just fine on my machine using wine-staging on top of Debian.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2017-09-12 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

#13 Post by debiman »

^ true, if someone wants an exact replica of some windows software, the best solution is to use that software...

bester69

#14 Post by bester69 »

akrueger wrote:what are your suggestions for a photo management suite on Debian?

I am photographing a lot, mostly I need to do this to my pictures, in decreasing priority
What are my choices on Linux?

But I definitely also do need a point and click suite, with thumbnail view, and multiple selection / batch processing.

Thanks a lot!
-->>>I Think What you need is KIPI . KIPI (KDE Image Plugin Interface) is a common plugin structure used by KDE applications, including Digikam, KPhotoAlbum, and Gwenview. I'd also consider Darktable and Picassa3.9 as a complements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_Image ... _Interface
Acquisition and management
Acquire Images provides tools to capture new images and saves them to the collections.
Kamera klient is a tool to connect the computer to a digital camera.
Batch process.
Find duplicates is a tool to find duplicate photographs on image collections.

Transform/Convert
JPEG loss less is a tool to transform the images without loss in quality due to compression.
MPEG encoder is a tool for converting a series of images into a diashow-style MPEG file.
RAW image converter, is a conversion tool for raw format images.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#15 Post by bester69 »

dude, faststone woks perfectly wtih wine, I will add it to my own Software; I love theses fastsone apps, Ive forgotten how good was "fastsone image viewer", and I wil keep it in linux for "Design and printing" function and batch processing images as well. Gwenview and KIPI plugin can do in theory most of the same tasks, but sadly, it doesnt works so well. :(
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...