Is there prime-select alternative for Debian

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Is there prime-select alternative for Debian

Postby Talkless » 2017-09-12 15:32

After migrating my personal machine to Debian Testing I missed prime-select that could enable nvidia/intel permanently on my hybrid graphics laptop.

Now it looks like I have to launch application using optirun, and I find that actually inconvenient. So if I want WebGL on browser, Steam game or use Blender, I have to fiddle to start them through console, or in Steam case, edit launch command into optirun %command%.

Is there a way to switch whole desktop session to nvidia or to intel "permanently"? What I was doing on Ubuntu was:

• Log out
  • Code: Select all
    sudo service sddm stop; sudo prime-select nvidia/intel; sudo service sddm start
Talkless

Re: Is there prime-select alternative for Debian

Postby stevepusser » 2017-09-12 17:21

Since you are an adventurous Testing user, have you tested an install of the Ubuntu package to see if it works on Debian?

https://packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/nvidia-prime
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.1.0, Pale Moon 27.5.0, Liquorix kernel 4.12-10, mpv 0.27.0, Kodi 17.3, 0ad 0.0.22, Mesa 13.0.6
stevepusser

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-09-12 17:34

The ArchWiki has a guide for setting up PRIME with the nouveau drivers, you should be able to apply the methods to Debian buster, I think.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

The "xf86-video-nouveau" Arch package is called "xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" in Debian and should be installed by default.
"Are you quite sure that all those bells and whistles, all those wonderful facilities of your so called powerful programming languages, belong to the solution set rather than the problem set?" — Edsger W. Dijkstra
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Talkless » 2017-09-12 18:13

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The ArchWiki has a guide for setting up PRIME with the nouveau drivers, you should be able to apply the methods to Debian buster, I think.

Hm, what about proprietary drivers?
Talkless

Postby Talkless » 2017-09-12 18:14

stevepusser wrote:have you tested an install of the Ubuntu package to see if it works on Debian?

I haven't thought about that. I could try.
Talkless

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-09-13 05:31

Talkless wrote:Hm, what about proprietary drivers?

Please at least actually read the provided link before asking questions that are answered by it... :roll:
"Are you quite sure that all those bells and whistles, all those wonderful facilities of your so called powerful programming languages, belong to the solution set rather than the problem set?" — Edsger W. Dijkstra
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Talkless » 2017-09-16 13:44

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Talkless wrote:Hm, what about proprietary drivers?

Please at least actually read the provided link before asking questions that are answered by it... :roll:

Sorry, I was too tired that day I guess :roll: .

Anyway, prime-select from Ubuntu does not work:
Code: Select all
 sudo prime-select nvidia
Info: the current GL alternatives in use are: [None, None]
Info: the current EGL alternatives in use are: [None, None]
Error: the installed packages do not support PRIME
Error: nvidia mode can't be enabled

I guess I'll skip these manual Xorg.conf changes noted in Wiki...

It would be nice to have prime-select on Debian, maybe I should report Debian bug about that against src:nvidia-graphics-drivers?
Talkless

Postby Talkless » 2017-09-16 14:17

Talkless

Return to Hardware