Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Not High Enough Display Resoloution

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
happydog500

Not High Enough Display Resoloution

#1 Post by happydog500 »

I installed debian last night. I have a 16x10 monitor. I look at the display settings and can only go to 12x10. How can I get resolution higher then 12 something x10 something?

Thank you,
Chris.

stevepusser

Re: Not High Enough Display Resoloution

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Many graphic adapters require non-free firmware for full functions. The default Debian install images don't include the firmware for "Libre Software Only" reasons, but it can be added after an install, or you can use an ISO that includes the firmware.
MX Linux packager and developer

happydog500

#3 Post by happydog500 »

stevepusser wrote:Many graphic adapters require non-free firmware for full functions. but it can be added after an install
How?

Thank you,
Chris.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

How to install non-free firmware on Debian

1st hit: https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware
==
another hit: https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... are_after/
and there are many more, also there are over 100 threads on this forum
that go into detail on this.

happydog500

#5 Post by happydog500 »

GarryRicketson wrote:How to install non-free firmware on Debian

1st hit: https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware
==
another hit: https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... are_after/
and there are many more, also there are over 100 threads on this forum
that go into detail on this.
For years, debian installer was a joke. Worse then a joke. ridicules if not worse. Even Linus thought so. Everyone in the world knew this except the Debian community. They thought it was great!!

Not sure if you know this, but the debian documentation is written, on purpose to be harder then it should be. It's almost like it's done on purpose, a "debian thing" to not be clear and to throw you off.

Probably looks good to you though.

Chris.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Have you tried any websearch for "Debian ISO with non-free firmware"? The link comes up #1 for me--perhaps you could have tried that instead of your reply.

kopper

#7 Post by kopper »

happydog500 wrote:For years, debian installer was a joke.
All these flavors and you chose to be salty.

Level of documentation can vary and some of it isn't as understandable or comprehensive as is should, but if your excuse for not reading the documentation is that "Linus Torvalds said Debian is unnecessarily hard in 2011", it's kinda lame. I also wouldn't go as far as to claim that documentation is written worse than it could on purpose. It's probably more related to lack of resources for both hands-on documenting and QA. I don't say Debian doesn't have a lot of work to do on this, but meanwhile there are other well-documented distros which provide more hand-holding for those who need it. And I don't mean it in a bad way either, learning has to start somewhere.
happydog500 wrote:How?
If you need propriatery drivers installed for your GPU (hard to tell since you haven't given us any details on your hardware), here's a good read. Do follow the links, by all means.

If it isn't the propriatery drivers you're looking for, non-free firmware can usually be installed by adding non-free to your /etc/apt/sources.list entries, next to main. After that, you just need to find out what firmware you're missing and install it with apt/apt-get/aptitude. You can sometimes get hints with by running dmesg and looking for warnings about missing firmware.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

12x10? shouldn't that be 4x3?
in any case that's an aspect ratio, not resolution.

happydog500

#9 Post by happydog500 »

Sorry, I was doing 5 things at once. I need to focus when I'm on the forums.

I downloaded the Live debian + nonfree disc. When starting up, it asks for a username and password. None work. On the forums, guess this has been a problem since 2013.

Since I know I'm going to install, I can use the install disc and not the live disc.

I have the amd apu, so it's not supported on the debian disc.

Thank you,
Chris.

P.S. I did not get Linus quote from 2011, it was from when he was at the debian conference this year. The biggest mistake I made was that using mint for the past 2-3 years, I forget that debian is different. On the mint and ubuntu forums, it's widely stated that there the same as debian. I just need to remember debian is different, and I'm going to learn it.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, the AMD APU graphics needs non-free firmware-amd-graphics package for full functionality. It should be on the non-free ISO.

Ubuntu and Mint may be derived from Debian, but there are some major differences. A chihuahua and Great Dane both derive from the same wolf ancestor, and in fact can share DNA and have offspring (barring some physical barriers), much like the distros can all use certain packages in common, but they are actually much closer to the wolf than Ubuntu is to Debian. You can't have a hybrid Ubuntu-Debian--no 'hybrid vigor" phenomenon here.

happydog500

#11 Post by happydog500 »

Tried the DVD. Could not read the disc. This is a reoccurring thing with debian. I say this respectfully. I literally have a drawer full of about 30 different Linux discs. All verified, all burned by me. Every single one works perfectly. This is the third debian disc that has problems.

Even if I try a simple thing with debian, it doesn't work. You can say I'm stupid, or whatever you want, but I have a drawer FULL of Linux discs, that all work. All except debian.

Debian disc doesn't work, so I DL the one that "does." It asks for a password (problem since 2013), but isn't supposed to, and doesn't work. I download another one, it can't be read. I have never had a linux disc not work, except debian.

Guess I'll keep trying,

Chris.

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

Many people prefer writing the ISO to a USB flash drive, then booting and installing from that. No coasters from bad burns, and it can be reused. Also confirm you have a good ISO by checking its hash( md5 or SHA) and .sig file, if it has one.

debiman

#13 Post by debiman »

^ let me guess: there's some problems with usbs, too. they "don't work" in happydog's weird parallel universe.

this user is famous for blockheadedly repeating the same thing when asked to clarify and provide proper information.

always staying polite, so s/he can blame others when they lose it over him/her.

Gaius

#14 Post by Gaius »

debiman wrote: ... always staying polite, so s/he can blame others when they lose it over him/her.
Why would you "lose it"?

Various large institutions which depend on their computers and networks to function flawlessly, as well as hundreds of thousands of private individuals have managed to download and successfully install Debian.

If somebody doesn't like Debian, s/he can always choose from one of the 30 distro installation discs in her/his drawer.

Experienced forum members have tried to assist, and the only response were complaints and comparisons with Mint.

Don't "lose it" ... just move on.

Cheers,
Gaius
If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.
Albert Einstein

Segfault

#15 Post by Segfault »

In another forum he bragged to have 20 years of UNIX experience. And then attacked Debian because his "sudo password" did not work with su. :shock:

GarryRicketson

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

Did I miss something important ?
This post was made by happydog500 who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

Segfault

#17 Post by Segfault »

Not at all. Some noise perhaps.

Zjho

#18 Post by Zjho »

happydog500 wrote: Guess I'll keep trying,
Chris.
If you're still here Chris, yes do keep trying, it is worth the effort of getting past this common initial Debian hurdle.
As another newcomer like yourself who has had similar problems with reduced 12x10 resolution, http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 83#p645983, i can say that by following some of the leads already made here you will likely be rewarded with a distro that is stable and shows few subsequent problems, even with supporting the crankiest of heavyweight desktops - a challenge for any setup.

happydog500

#19 Post by happydog500 »

Segfault wrote:In another forum he bragged to have 20 years of UNIX experience. And then attacked Debian because his "sudo password" did not work with su. :shock:
You are misrepresenting what I said, adding YOUR interpretation, to my words. I will try and explain this evening what you are misrepresenting.

Hope you are doing well.

Chris.

happydog500

#20 Post by happydog500 »

May of found the answer.

Couldn't instll debian, had a project to do so I had to get my home computer up and running. Went to install the old reliable Mint. Would not install. Tried all my Mint discs, xubuntu discs, none will install.

From all the error messages I'm getting, I'm guessing my DVD Drive is going out. Seems like it can "read" the disc, but can't see the file system.

Why I could burn 30 discs of Linux and they all work, then the 5 discs of debian that don't? Because your DVD drive goes out at 31.

I will check in my parts to see if I have any DVD Roms left. I could pull one from a system I have laying around, but I took a bunch to the second had store a couple weeks a go. Can't believe it. I had several laying around for years, didn't need them. Give them away and now I need one.

Thank you,
Chris.