Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Skype application created a new keyring? [solved]

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jfab

Skype application created a new keyring? [solved]

#1 Post by jfab »

I installed Skype using the .deb file from the website, and after I created a new Skype account I got a prompt along the lines of "the application wants to create a new keyring called 'Default keyring'", asking me to choose a password for the keyring. Could someone explain to me exactly what this keyring does and what I'll need the password for? And is it a system-wide keyring that will be used by other applications in the future, or is it only used by Skype?

Thanks!

Edit: This has been solved. Here's a tl;dr:

tl;dr Some applications may use GNOME Keyring (package gnome-keyring) to store passwords in 'Default keyring', even if you don't use the GNOME desktop environment. Seahorse (package seahorse) can be used to manage GNOME Keyring, including changing the 'Default keyring' password, deleting keys, and deleting keyrings.
Last edited by jfab on 2017-09-16 00:00, edited 3 times in total.

kedaha

Re: Skype application created a new keyring?

#2 Post by kedaha »

It's doubtful anyone here can explain exactly what it does because it's non-free software which has nothing to do with Debian and everything to do with Microsoft. Stallman's Reasons not to use Skype may not dissuade you from using it but the wiki.debian.org FAQ gives a link should you wish "to jail it so it can't freely access your files."
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

jfab

#3 Post by jfab »

I have to use Skype for a specific purpose. I installed the application before I knew you could use Skype from a web browser. I've uninstalled the application, but I want to know whether I need to save the keyring password for use with future applications, or whether it was specific to Skype.

Edit: The scenario I'm imagining is this: Multiple applications make use of this 'Default keyring', but the first application to use it creates it. So Skype created this keyring, but now that it is created, it may be used by other applications in the future. I want to know if this is the case so I know whether I need to save the password.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

The OP does not tell us if they are even using Debian, which version, and also
it might help to know what DE, Gnome uses a "keyring" thing, so what "key ring" , ?
I don't have any of these things on my system, so I am wondering if the OP is even using Debian.
Post by kedaha » 2017-09-15 15:25
It's doubtful anyone here can explain exactly what it does because it's non-free software which has nothing to do with Debian and everything to do with Microsoft.
Can the OP clarify , what this has to do with Debian ?

jfab

#5 Post by jfab »

I'm using the latest version of Debian Jessie. No DE, just i3 WM. I thought that this 'Default keyring' might be some sort of standard for Debian applications that manage user accounts.

Edit: I found the solution. I apologize for giving so little information in my original post. I found some discussion of this 'Default keyring' amongst Ubuntu and Mint users, but nothing conclusive. As so often happens, the Arch Wiki came to the rescue and instructed me to use a program called Seahorse to manage GNOME Keyring. Sure enough, Seahorse shows some keyring called 'Default keyring' that contains one key, used by Skype to manage user sessions. You can change the keyring password, delete keys, or delete the entire keyring from within Seahorse.

tl;dr Some applications may use GNOME Keyring (package gnome-keyring) to store passwords in 'Default keyring', even if you don't use the GNOME desktop environment. Seahorse (package seahorse) can be used to manage GNOME Keyring, including changing the 'Default keyring' password, deleting keys, and deleting keyrings.

GarryRicketson

Re: Skype application created a new keyring? [solved]

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ok, thanks,
That is why I was asking, I saw some of the same, related to Ubuntu and Mint,
and Gnome, and decide better to confirm, I didn't see the Arch, but any way
sounds like you have solved it ?

jfab

Re: Skype application created a new keyring? [solved]

#7 Post by jfab »

GarryRicketson wrote:Ok, thanks,
That is why I was asking, I saw some of the same, related to Ubuntu and Mint,
and Gnome, and decide better to confirm, I didn't see the Arch, but any way
sounds like you have solved it ?
Yes I have. Thanks for the hint about GNOME Keyring.